Gears/Motor combo for DMR

Tiercel
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

So many different types, speeds and ratios out there! I don't know where to begin.

So I've put an active braking mosfet in my M14 and happy with how it's performing, running it on an 11.1v lipo but I feel like the trigger response/gearbox cycling is still slightly sluggish and could be better. Due to site limit I'm only running it at 350ish FPS so no ridiculous chunky M150 spring in it or anything like that, so I'm thinking the next logical step is to change the gears and motor for better but not sure what to go for, high speed or high torque? And the various different types of gear ratios, wat do? I never use full auto, just want a nice snappy almost instant response from the trigger. The only thing I've replaced inside the GB so far is the cylinder head & air nozzle, motor, gears & piston etc are all stock Cyma.

I would run a set of balanced (18:1) gearset (prob what's in there now) with an ASG Infinity 22000 / 28 TPA motor, this should run around 22 rounds per sec on 11.1V, you want a 40C discharge really and make sure the wiring is upto spec.

That should be plenty snappy with zero drama 👍

Make sure the internals are all running slick;

Empty gearbox shell - does the piston freely fall up and down the guide rails?

Gears shimmed nice?

Check the pinion gear mesh with the bevel, I mean roll them in your hands, should be smooth, ASG pinions love Classic Army bevels I find.

All adds up to free speed!

Sadly not, in the words of the site owner "DMRs are for people who dont want to be hit" :P which Id completely disagree with, theyre for people who can actually aim rather than dump half a hi-cap on one person in a bush. 350fps for all AEGs and 500 for bolt action. So I mainly play DMR for the aesthetic of them rather than any significant advantage over any other 350fps AEG. Though there is another site I play at that does allow DMRs up to 450 so Ill probably buy a 2nd M14 for using there :P love the M14 so much, I think I have an obsession... 

Definitely need to replace the piston, the one thats in there at the moment is absolutely crap, the O-ring is too small and a poor sloppy fit with and rubbish compression. FPS is absolutely all over the place, so new piston & piston head are going in too. The ASG ultimate stuff seems fairly decent and what I've used previously on most guns to good effect, hows that compare to a FMR/Cyma White?

Shame they don't have a quick change spring!

I really like the LPE POM piston heads, whichever one you go for take the O ring off and put it on the outside of an old cylinder and lightly warm the inside with a lighter, leave it to cool then fit, you'll have excellent air seal.

Pistons, all very good below but in order of toughness/longevity for me;

1: Prommy POM

2: ICS POM orange

3: SHS / CYMA

37 minutes ago, Tiercel said:

The ASG ultimate stuff seems fairly decent and what I've used previously on most guns to good effect, hows that compare to a FMR/Cyma White?

The FMR CYMA piston is super strong and cheap (only £8), it's favoured by most of the tech's I sell to.   Never tried or seen an ASG Piston before so can't comment on it.

Archived