Bit of electronics knowledge needed!

RussHampson
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hey there,
I'm currently adapting a cheap IR camera and LED array from a monocular head worn rig, to a scope. My main problem is getting power to it; currently it uses 5AA batteries in series, so running roughly 7.5v. I want to do away with the 5AA batteries and hopefully replace it with something smaller. Does anybody know of anything suitable? Cheers!

• Supporters

First thing that comes to mind is a 7.4 lipo, available in lots of size & shape variations, split cells etc, so bound to be something to suit your needs.

• Supporters

you might be better off searching "gel blaster sight" or similar, they tend to be cheap plastic knockoffs of real world sights such as elcan spectres, ideal for chopping about for a project.

something like this?

https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/4X-Red-Dot-Sight-Tactical-Magnifier-Scope-Primary-Hunting-For-Gel-Ball-Blaster-/153611941731?_mwBanner=1&_rdt=1

• Supporters

What’s your aim? 

I used a 12v battery pack to power my home made Night vision set up. Works well. Only issue I had was getting the torch I had purchased to work well enough for the camera to pick up.

21 hours ago, Tackle said:

you might be better off searching "gel blaster sight" or similar, they tend to be cheap plastic knockoffs of real world sights such as elcan spectres, ideal for chopping about for a project.

something like this?

https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/4X-Red-Dot-Sight-Tactical-Magnifier-Scope-Primary-Hunting-For-Gel-Ball-Blaster-/153611941731?_mwBanner=1&_rdt=1

That link is fab! I'll need to get the current rig dismantled beforehand though, need to see what sort of space I've got to work with.

9 hours ago, Prisce said:

What’s your aim? 

I used a 12v battery pack to power my home made Night vision set up. Works well. Only issue I had was getting the torch I had purchased to work well enough for the camera to pick up.

Nothing too serious; I want to be able to see about 20-30ft in the dark without turning a torch on. Since the night vision setup I've got is monocular (but still covers both eyes) it's practically useless by itself - no depth perception from it etc.
If this doesn't work it's not too bad, the camera, LEDS etc cost be £25 from eBay, so not a huge loss if I manage to break it. Out of curiosity, what camera did you use? Or did you remove the IR filter from something? Cheers! 

On 29/08/2019 at 18:16, Prisce said:

Voila, my second post on the first page shows what I did.

Really cool post! The idea of using a reversing camera is genius! I'm gonna have to give that a bash once I've had a go at this project. Might be interesting to do a gun-mounted camera with a feed to a wrist mounted screen.

• Supporters
1 hour ago, RussHampson said:

Really cool post! The idea of using a reversing camera is genius! I'm gonna have to give that a bash once I've had a go at this project. Might be interesting to do a gun-mounted camera with a feed to a wrist mounted screen.

That’s pretty much what I ended up doing, you can make a scope attachment from 40mm waste pipe to hold the camera too. Look on YouTube for Home Made night vision scope and see what he does.

Archived