ICS L85 fires auto on semi.

Asomodai
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hey gents. 

This reoccurring issue has now turned into almost permanent. 

My L85 had the usual full auto on semi issue, this was fixed by tightening up the screw on opposite side of the selector switch and tightening up the cutoff lever. 

It lasted about an hour before it started firing on full auto in semi again. This occurs on both 9.9v LIFE and 7.4v half charged lipos. 

The only change that has been made the ICS is a 22tpa high torque motor fitted. Otherwise I have only skirmished this 3 times. 

Is there anything else I can try?

• Supporters

Extremely Common issue with all L85s.

On my G&g I spent months trying to find a solve. In the end it was due to the CoL being made out of cheese and wearing away. It has a prominent shape, and it was becoming flat. I replaced the CoL and it solved it for a short while.

In the mean time a buddy told me that installing an SR25(?) gearset in the box resolves the issue. Never tried it, but apparently it reduces the need for the CoL.

27 minutes ago, Prisce said:

Extremely Common issue with all L85s.

On my G&g I spent months trying to find a solve. In the end it was due to the CoL being made out of cheese and wearing away. It has a prominent shape, and it was becoming flat. I replaced the CoL and it solved it for a short while.

In the mean time a buddy told me that installing an SR25(?) gearset in the box resolves the issue. Never tried it, but apparently it reduces the need for the CoL.

I am just surprised this has happened on a rifle that has less the 3 skirmishes playtime. I did try and force the cutoff leave to activate with a screwdriver and it still fires full auto. Though its not exactly a reliable test. 

Not sure if it's worth fixing at the moment as it could be many parts!

It could be the motor is over-spinning the gears past the cutoff point, or the trigger contacts could be sticking.  It might be worth putting an AB mosfet in the line to cut down on trigger points burning and stop the over-spin on semi.

39 minutes ago, RR01 said:

It could be the motor is over-spinning the gears past the cutoff point, or the trigger contacts could be sticking.  It might be worth putting an AB mosfet in the line to cut down on trigger points burning and stop the over-spin on semi.

It is not overspin. 

This was fine with a 9.9v LiFE. This is happening with a low powered 7.4V lipo as well. Trigger contacts are fine. 

ICS Emailed me back and have said they have made a newly tooled L85 Selector switch and screw which should help solve the issue if it is indeed the selectors fault. I will be ordering that and will let you know how I get on. 

If you look into the bottom of the lower receiver you'll see the tiny lever that interacts with the cut-off lever on the gearbox.

Pay particular attention to that.

Also check the trigger mech 'pops' off when you hold the trigger back in semi then manipulate the mech. It should be quite lively like a mouse trap, slightest touch and it disconnects.

The ICS L85s have been like this since their inception

My ics l85 has intermitant issues on semi auto. 

Full auto works fine, but switch it to semi and sometimes when i pull the trigger nothing happens.  Really annoying when this results in myself getting hit. 

The guns about 20 months old so probably say 10 or so skirmishes?  Curious to hear if this fix works.

• 4 weeks later...

The new selector switch came through and did nothing. It is a better design then the original one though and it's much harder to switch from semi to full.

The cutoff lever was the culprit. I ordered two new ones as well as a non braking mosfet. 

The stock ICS gear cam is very rough to touch which probably exacerbated the cut off lever weakness. So switched out for a different smoother gear. New cutoff switch was pre hardened with a blow torch, installed and the problem has now gone. 

• 4 weeks later...

Hmmm. On my one it just doesnt fire on semi at all on occasion.  Full auto it never misses a beat though...  would that be the same issue? When i have a happier bank account i was debating taking it into firesupport

• 2 months later...

Resurrecting an old thread but just discovered a possible solution to the 'auto on semi' issue.

At first I thought it was the screw on the opposite side to the selctor swich - tightened it - worked for a while - then went back to full auto.

Opened it up - all looked ok - then played round with the motor height screw (underneath the motor) and lo and behold it was back to normal. Put on the butt plate - and back to auto on semi mode ... grrrr ...

Then realised what the cause was. In the middle of the butt plate there is a straight-headed screw. I thought it was just to hold the plate on but acutally it's stopping the motor height screw from unwinding. Trouble is, tighten it too much (listen for squeeks!) is starts turning the height screw inside and you're on full auto again. Too loose, and the height screw will unwind and it's in auto again. What I've found is that this butt plate screw is prone to come loose anyway during gameplay.

So my advice - if you are getting full auto all time

• Check that the screw on the opposite side to the fire selector is tight
  • Try adjusting the middle screw in the butt plate. You may have to open it up (just two holding pins - easy to do) and tweak the motor height as well.

Hope this helps someone!

Motor height should be set when gearbox is built, loctited so it is a (semi) permanent adjustment.

The butt plate screw is there purely to keep the gearbox seated fully forward in the retaining lugs for consistent nozzle/hop unit mating.

Again this should be set and loctited.

What you are experiencing is the semi cut off bar in the lower receiver moving relative to the gearbox, and therefore cut off lever's position.

L85 semi - auto firing faults are always;

Cut off bar worn

Cut off lever worn / excess play

Worn out trigger switch mech

👍

Archived