M14 DMR Build questions?

wire2k
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

So far ive been running a G&G GC16 Predator and been very happy with it but wanting to get a second RIF as a backup and build project.

Since most the time I run my Predator in semi I figured a DMR would be a good second gun and project to work on.

Researching options ive decided on an M14

·         TMs seem to be better out of the box but more expensive and since I plan on tinkering

·         G&G looked like a good middle ground but mags are propriety, expensive and rare.

·         So looking at a CYMA CM032 M14 https://www.patrolbase.co.uk/cyma-cm-032-m14-rifle?pv=6082

Ive found a useful DMR guide https://www.airsoftsniperforum.com/43-longrange-aegs/892-holy-grail-building-your-dmr-aeg.html but still have a few questions as im finding conflicting info.

-I prefer the long barreled version to the socom but can the front sight and flash hider be removed and is it threaded so I could fit an over barrel suppressor. https://www.patrolbase.co.uk/swiss-arms-sa1g-kjw-m700-silencer-w-adaptor

-FPS limits for my local site:

o   DMR (locked to semi) 420fps / 1.68j on 0.2g bb's

o   DMR with over 18" (457mm) barrel 290fps /1.68j on 0.43g bb's

o   Am I right an M120 spring would keep under the FPS limit and stock gears be able to handle it?

-Is this the right adaptor to fit bipod?

o   https://www.fire-support.co.uk/product/guarder-m14-bipod-mount-swivel

o   https://www.amazon.co.uk/FOCUHUNTER-Tactical-Bipod-6-9-Inches/dp/B07R8GR7Q2/ref=sr_1_17?keywords=m14&qid=1565104861&s=sports&sr=1-17

-Should high torque motor be short or long?

https://www.patrolbase.co.uk/ares-super-high-torque-motor?pv=4411

I would advise that you speak to other airsofters at the site you go too.  From that you should be able to make up your mind!  Check out airsoft on YouTube, plenty of information.

• Supporters

I only had the cyma.

It can handle M120 fine.

It was long time ago, I don't remember the answers to the rest.

However my advice is to handle one before buying. It is heavy, awkward and was very uncomfortable for me so I quickly got rid of it.

Maybe the DMR stock would have been better with the pistol grip. And those half size mags. Otherwise it's an awesome DMR gun.

Bear in mind when building that seeing as you are building a 'precision' rifle, THE most accurate airsoft barrel length is between 300-350mm

Second to that is that you want to base the gun on whichever make has the best hop up system, nozzle alignment and most secure outer barrel assembly.

It's well founded that anything longer has negligible gain if any, and in most cases has negative effects.

There is a much higher chance of the BB contacting the inner barrel to its detriment.

All required energy can be transferred to the BB within that length when powered by a sprung cylinder such as AEG or BASR.

• Supporters
8 hours ago, Davegolf said:

It's well founded

I can't founded your sources.  What are they?

Thing is, I'm actually minded to believe you.  But I always question the things that I'm minded to believe it, to be sure that it's not just magical thinking.

Plus when I see unsourced opinions stated as FACTS:

170.gif

• Supporters

It's well founded that anything longer has negligible gain if any, and in most cases has negative effects.

There is a much higher chance of the BB contacting the inner barrel to its detriment.

All required energy can be transferred to the BB within that length when powered by a sprung cylinder such as AEG or BASR.

Lots of thing that are supposedly well founded in airsoft often turn out to be someone's misguided opinion that got confused with fact at some point.  The statement about the longer barrel is true as the power medium travels faster than the bb so you can lose the pressure around the bb so it can the contact the inside of the barrel.

When I tested it out I found 180+ was enough to impart the energy and for the bb to stabilise its flight (as much as a spherical object can stabilise in flight) in sub 350fps gun. For the higher end up to 450fps-ish I found 240 was enough and there was no real difference there after.

Not saying your statement is untrue as maybe I missed something and I am always willing to be shown something new as that's how we learn.

Do you have any sources for this? Not disagreeing with you, as like trigger I’m always willing to learn. So far I’ve only looked into voluming with regard to barrel length.  

4 hours ago, ImTriggerHappy said:

Lots of thing that are supposedly well founded in airsoft

Indeed they are, I honestly thought in this day and age the longer barrel is betterer was well and truly dead and disproved.

The statement about the longer barrel is true as the power medium travels faster than the bb so you can lose the pressure around the bb so it can the contact the inside of the barrel.

When I tested it out I found 180+ was enough to impart the energy and for the bb to stabilise its flight (as much as a spherical object can stabilise in flight) in sub 350fps gun. For the higher end up to 450fps-ish I found 240 was enough and there was no real difference there after.

Exactly and if if you follow on from that you'll find that 300-350 covers you upto 500 FPS, whilst not being detrimental to lower powers, and being long enough to impart joule creep to heavier ammo as would be used in a long range gun.

Not saying your statement is untrue as maybe I missed something and I am always willing to be shown something new as that's how we learn.

The only exception to the above is Gas guns as the need a longer barrel to allow the floating valve to stay open longer and keep accelerating the BB.

• Supporters
36 minutes ago, Davegolf said:

Indeed they are, I honestly thought in this day and age the longer barrel is betterer was well and truly dead and disproved.

Unfortunately not because ..... airsofters, internet etc.

36 minutes ago, Davegolf said:

Exactly and if if you follow on from that you'll find that 300-350 covers you upto 500 FPS, whilst not being detrimental to lower powers, and being long enough to impart joule creep to heavier ammo as would be used in a long range gun.

But being a DMR it should only be 400 to 450fps.  Never tried it as high as 500fps on an aeg as that spring sniper rifle territory and I know sod all about those. As for imparting joule creep on heavy ammo..... lets just not go there as someone will get twitchy 🤫

All moot anyway as op was on about an m14 which is way longer than either as standard.

4 hours ago, E21A said:

Do you have any sources for this? Not disagreeing with you, as like trigger I’m always willing to learn. So far I’ve only looked into voluming with regard to barrel length.  

Hi @E21A and @Rogerborg (love you meme!) I don't have links or references to years of people's testing my own included, affirmed by other members doing similar testing and satisfyingly arriving at the same conclusions.

Right up to 500 FPS BASRs switching upto 400 range barrels very obviously hurts performance.

Unless your using BBs 0.5 or higher then the extra length is wasted because any lighter BB is going to have gained all the energy  and reached max velocity well before it reaches the end.

Then there's the fudge factor of the higher risk of the BB contacting the inside rather than floating (as said before soz) and moreover the issues of straightness of the barrel, slightest out of true and the 0.05-0.08mm gap is going to run out fast!

Even if the barrel is A1 the outer barrel or its support path may not be true 🤷‍♂️

Nothing in life is really Fact, there's always more than one side.

I and many others have long had greatest success and least grievance running those lengths. Once you go longer chasing precision engineering alignment issues etc at airsoft level engineering is guesswork.

To the OP seriously look into Rhop for range and accuracy.

3 minutes ago, ImTriggerHappy said:

Unfortunately not because ..... airsofters, internet etc.

😂

3 minutes ago, ImTriggerHappy said:

But being a DMR it should only be 400 to 450fps.  Never tried it as high as 500fps on an aeg as that spring sniper rifle territory and I know sod all about those. As for imparting joule creep on heavy ammo..... lets just not go there as someone will get twitchy 🤫

All moot anyway as op was on about an m14 which way longer than either as standard.

Wasnt relating to a 500 FPS AEG, #poorgears but just barrel length VS FPS

I think joule creep as almost as dodge a topic as racism in airsoft 👀

PS we the only ones not at NAE 🤣

Most of this typing is pointlessly futile, don't know why I bother lol

Archived