Best budget solar powered optic?

HuttArmouries
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Supporters

<but-why.gif>

CR2032 batteries are 6 for £1 at Poundland.  How many thousands of hours of use would it take to pay off a solar powered version?

Genuine question, is this a "must have coolest gadget" quest?

I had a Trijicon clone where the solar cell worked, BUT unless it’s bright sunlight, it doesn’t.

Tbe red dot above has an immense field of view, but looks like a Thermos flask lol

• Supporters
21 hours ago, ImTriggerHappy said:

Yet to see any of the cheap clones where the solar cell is real.

The top reviewer seems to agree.

Also, I wouldn't class that as cheap, especially once you factor in the import duty / VAT / payment for paying the import duty / VAT mugging.

Also to the also, I just don't get the point of 1x closed dots, versus an open reflex sight.  Why put extra material in the way when what the goal is to aquire a view of your target with a dot over it?

2 hours ago, Rogerborg said:

The top reviewer seems to agree.

Also, I wouldn't class that as cheap, especially once you factor in the import duty / VAT / payment for paying the import duty / VAT mugging.

Also to the also, I just don't get the point of 1x closed dots, versus an open reflex sight.  Why put extra material in the way when what the goal is to aquire a view of your target with a dot over it?

I prefer closed red dots for woodlands as when it rains the pinty style reflexes in my ill informed opinion really annoy me when they get wet and distort. I can just rub the lenses of my tube style red dot (and for approx 30 secs till it gets wet again) and I'm good to go.

plus shooting both eyes open lessens the impact of a tube

• Supporters
2 hours ago, Rogerborg said:

Horses for courses I think.

I prefer a closed dot and actually use an srs as I find looking through I just focus a bit better. Probably 99% in my head though as just what I am used to.

• Supporters

If you're using a red dot properly (both eyes open) then the body of the sight should effectively disappear in your view. I also use an srs clone and have no issues with it obscuring my view at all.

On 23/08/2019 at 06:45, Rogerborg said:

<but-why.gif>

CR2032 batteries are 6 for £1 at Poundland.  How many thousands of hours of use would it take to pay off a solar powered version?

Genuine question, is this a "must have coolest gadget" quest?

It was more the fact I always forget to find / pack bateries and getting either a fixed reticule scope or a solar red dot seemed a better option. 

1 hour ago, Rogerborg said:

You are Novritsch and I claim my 5 Euro credit towards an SSP-1.

In his defence I have been told you shouldn't close your eye to aim from military friends. To if it actually helps with the thicc optics obscuring vision I couldn't comment.  

• Supporters
On 23/08/2019 at 06:45, Rogerborg said:

Cheapest I can find a Trijicon SRS is £1,175.00. Given that even the shittiest CR2032 should give you at least 100 hours solid use you would need to use your SRS for a little over 80 years for what you could buy  in CR2032's for the same money....

On 24/08/2019 at 19:32, Rogerborg said:

You are Novritsch and I claim my 5 Euro credit towards an SSP-1.

I'm not Novritsch...I take my hits.

Archived