Worst gun you've ever worked on

Tiercel

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Yesterday I decided to brave the dreaded M14, I wanted to fit a MOSFET and some other bits to DMR-ify it. After nervously biting my nails for hours on end, watching YouTube tutorials and having cold sweats at the horror stories I'd heard of how hard they are to work on... I dived in. How hard can it be really? 

8 hours later it was done. 8 hours of nonstop swearing and pleading with various dieties it wa finally done.

Bugger me sideways I never want to have to look at an M14 again. Except now I have to open it up again because something has gone wrong and my FPS is all over the place so a likely air seal issue somewhere. Arse.

Now the V7 gearbox itself was actually relatively pleasant to work on, and the Frankenstein looking concoction of springs and levers on the outside of the box actually make really good sense when you know what you're looking out, and much easier than trying to cack-handedly hold everything together and hope it fits like a V2. It's all the steps required to get to the gearbox that's the issue. I still can't assemble the bolt cover to work properly despite having followed the mechbox tutorial to the letter.

This got me wondering, what is the worst gun out there anyone has had to work on? I can't imagine there being much worse than an M14.

4 hours ago, AK47frizzle said:

G&G g2 gearbox, and for only 1 reason: the screws are on the wrong fucking side.

If that’s a struggle for you, stop taking RIFs apart! 😂

Cyma F2000. 

Not because of the gearbox or barrel removal. Those were really easy. But before I realised how to take the gearbox out I thought I had to split the receiver. What an absolute pain to put back together! Trying to get the rear ironsight baseplate back in and the trigger assembly to stay in place was awful. 

LCT vityaz was fun first time to get to the gearbox, even more fun to reassemble as several grub screws were missing due to to previous owner, now takes minutes but compared to a standard LCT AK it's a pain

i actually enjoyed the m14 (only because I bought a boneyard one to learn on first) and when I owned one it took about 10mins to get to the gearbox/hop unit, just as I got good at it I sold it

agree it's a fun job getting the bolt to work, what annoyed me most was the v shaped flat spring clip that retains the hop unit, just got to love it when the bent end won't go into its slot when putting the two main parts of the metal body together.

• Supporters

m14's are pretty annoying because they decided to add an extra thing on a spring for you to hold with the 5 hands you don't have when reassembling. although getting it in/out of the reciever isn't so bad, just a bit longer than most guns.

v2's are a pain because you have to get it most of the way back in the gun before you can dry fire it see what she sounds like.

however, i feel like i'm not alone when i say this: v3 triggers.......

easiest box i've worked on is the g&g f2000, because it's nearly all external and by the time you've got to the actual main body of the box there's not much left to have to keep track of on reassembly.

Ah the joy of fitting your v3 gearbox checking and rechecking that all the holes line up and then just as you close it all up you see that the trigger is on the piss because the trigger spring has popped one of the trigger parts out of alignment 

currently summoning up the courage to open up my Tm ngrs gearbox to fit a gate Titan, fitted 2 previously to v3 gearboxes but they are easier and I am familiar with them.

lots of coffee and a swearbox to hand I think

3 hours ago, E21A said:

If that’s a struggle for you, stop taking RIFs apart! 😂

It's not a struggle, just an infuriating design choice, as well as some other things like perma sticking down the wires in place with metal tabs and glue to make sure you don't change out their shitty etu.

Do it do amount of times I have taken apart a 3 V3 box I have sadly gotten good at making sure the trigger on a V3 box doesn't go wandering when putting back together. I couldn't say how though. Luck, voodoo, or a knack. 

Stock guns arnt that bad its the times people dump a pile of gun parts and upgrade parts and ask to make a full working gun out of it.. 

• Supporters
24 minutes ago, Asomodai said:

Do it do amount of times I have taken apart a 3 V3 box I have sadly gotten good at making sure the trigger on a V3 box doesn't go wandering when putting back together. I couldn't say how though. Luck, voodoo, or a knack. 

i tapped out the one on the jg and added a little screw, holds it in place perfectly. makes it almost pleasant to work on

59 minutes ago, johnnyj said:

Stock guns arnt that bad its the times people dump a pile of gun parts and upgrade parts and ask to make a full working gun out of it.. 

I came very close to admitting defeat and doing that with the M14 :P But I persevered. I did definitely learn that in future Id probably rather just give it to someone else to do right from the start, I value my time too much for this bollocks xD 

• Supporters

I gotta admit, I hate MP5s. I had a TM MP5 and I’d rather peel my fingernails off than get inside that thing again, it’s just so long winded, and boring.

The ICS MP5 we have now is still a pain , the hop units are poo.  

But it I have never had that much issue with working on guns, maybe because it’s similar to what I do for work.

• Supporters
7 minutes ago, Prisce said:

I gotta admit, I hate MP5s. I had a TM MP5 and I’d rather peel my fingernails off than get inside that thing again, it’s just so long winded, and boring.

The ICS MP5 we have now is still a pain , the hop units are poo.  

But it I have never had that much issue with working on guns, maybe because it’s similar to what I do for work.

I get that I hate working on the EVO, not because it is difficult just something about it irritates me.

• Supporters
3 minutes ago, ImTriggerHappy said:

I get that I working on the EVO, not because it is difficult just something about it irritates me.

I understand that. I get to a stage after opening anything 5 times and things still keep going wrong I just want to kill it with fire. When you do find the issue it’s always something stupidly niggly as well, like the material being 0.01mm to long or something.

• Supporters
13 hours ago, Tiercel said:

Yesterday I decided to brave the dreaded M14, I wanted to fit a MOSFET and some other bits to DMR-ify it. After nervously biting my nails for hours on end, watching YouTube tutorials and having cold sweats at the horror stories I'd heard of how hard they are to work on... I dived in. How hard can it be really? 

8 hours later it was done. 8 hours of nonstop swearing and pleading with various dieties it wa finally done.

Bugger me sideways I never want to have to look at an M14 again. Except now I have to open it up again because something has gone wrong and my FPS is all over the place so a likely air seal issue somewhere. Arse.

Now the V7 gearbox itself was actually relatively pleasant to work on, and the Frankenstein looking concoction of springs and levers on the outside of the box actually make really good sense when you know what you're looking out, and much easier than trying to cack-handedly hold everything together and hope it fits like a V2. It's all the steps required to get to the gearbox that's the issue. I still can't assemble the bolt cover to work properly despite having followed the mechbox tutorial to the letter.

This got me wondering, what is the worst gun out there anyone has had to work on? I can't imagine there being much worse than an M14.

I see your M14 and raise you the M14 EBR. All the joy of working on an M14 with the added bonus of trying to get it out of the metal prison of the EBR body!

Jg m4. Bought it knowing its an ex rental gun. It was cheap and I thought I could teach my self some teching skills.... there is an age old adage "if it ain't broke don't fix it!" It worked pretty well befor. Now it hardly works at all. This gun lead me to a rage that was a cross between Basil Faulty and Donald duck! Its still partially dis-assembled to teach it who's boss!.... that and I had to walk away befor I gave myself a coronary! 

Any SRC. Nothing in particular in terms of design just utterly shite materials. Take the gearbox apart more than a couple of times and you start stripping threads. That has caused much swearing and required a quiet sit down before continuing. Easiest by far was my CA M249. One pin out the back open up the top and take a few screws out that the gearbox is out. To get to the barrel and hop just take off the barrel with one lever. Plus no bloody anti reversal latch or trigger contacts.

• Supporters

G&G M14 EBR- About a thousand screws/parts/pins and odd fiddly bits removed and only now i am removing the gearbox. Once the gearbox is opened it generally wants to explode like a frag grenade. Then putting back together OMG, need about 6 hands for the ARL and that freakingly annoying BB feeder tube thingy OMG i hated taking this gun apart!

G&G MP5 with blowback - Had to more or less tear this thing apart to get to the gearbox, then in order to dry fire it had to put it all (ALL) back together again.

Ares WA2000 - Again another full disassemble just to get to the gubbins to change one thing

Easiest to work on:

TM P90 - a button, two screws and tilt the lower back and the gearbox, motor etc was all in one nice package

JG MP5 SD6, it's that kind of thing when a 16 year old thinks it's good to get any cheap gun to learn on but not when to get to the gearbox you'd have to disassemble every single part of the external build to get to the gearbox, then you'd have to reroute the tamiya connection around the whole body of the gun and under hop up whilst placing the hop and gearbox in at the same time. The motor wire's are just as annoying to put in. Getting to the gearbox took 40 minutes the first time.

After 30 hours later and a video I made to disassemble the gun (for the 6th time) it finally works, m120 with 2 teeth short stroked on sector and piston with a 13:1 gear set and a "high torque" motor which was a 16 tpa motor so speed one running with a 7.4v and around 280 fps on a .25. Correct motor height, correct shimming, perfect air seal and new hop rubber thanks to Foreign Commando Remi with the addition of Teflon taping the crap out of the hop, it finally works and sounds amazing and I never want to open it again but there is one problem, the top where a claw mount needs to go, it's a bit open but I can push it together but it won't stay together so I'd need a claw mount soon

• Supporters
22 minutes ago, oneworldrentaluk said:

Did you know? Who invented the gun? if don't 
its Richard Gatling In the late 15th century the Ottoman empire used firearms as part of its regular infantry. The first successful rapid-fire firearm is the Gatling Gun, invented by Richard Gatling and fielded by the Union forces during the American Civil War in the 1860s.

Articles Abilogic

Fucking amazing you have changed my life with your totally irrelevant post 🙄

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.