firing a bb/airsoft Gun

Paul Jr
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

So I recently purchased a two tone spring airsoft smg/pistol (don't hate don't want to spend a lot on my first gun just in case the sport isn't for me) and I was wondering if it was illigal to shoot in my back yard or garden that isn't secluded or an unclaimed (to my knowledge) woodland? 

• Supporters

On your land, it's fine, as in there's no specific offence[*].  Pragmatically, I'd go and speak to your neighbours and let them know what you're doing.

As for woodland, if you have a right of access to it, so does everyone else, and that makes it a public place.  A person commits an offence if, without lawful authority or reasonable excuse (the proof whereof lies on him) he has with him in a public place [...] an imitation firearm. (realistic or otherwise, there has been a conviction for possession of a bright orange springer that even the arresting officer conceded looked like a toy).

Whether "Just going target shooting" is a reasonable excuse would be a matter between you, the police, CPS/Fiscal and the judiciary.

I wouldn't risk it.

[*] There may be some debate about firing it out of your premises.

11 hours ago, Paul Jr said:

..... an unclaimed (to my knowledge) woodland? 

There is no land in the UK that is not owned by someone, they may or may not be interested in it at the moment.

If the police became involved then they would fairly easily be able to trace an owner to show that you were shooting on the land without permission.

The land registry covers records of land, but does not have every piece of land that has not sold to have change of ownership registered.

If you are interested then it could cost you just £3 to find out and seek permission 

https://hmlandregistry.blog.gov.uk/2018/02/05/search-owner-unregistered-land/

But preferably go shooting on a site, where the right permission and safety are in place

Archived