Tips for advancing effectively in woodlands

Lollingsgrad
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

3 hours ago, Rogerborg said:

At the Depot?  Sure, grenades solve so many problems there.  Woodland, not so much, until you've actually reached a structural objective.

In my experience pyro in woodland causes more problems than it solves I was once in a fight against 3 guys. They had me pinned down but I had good cover couldn't hit me so one threw a pyro. It hit a tree bounced back and killed all 3 of them

8 hours ago, Rogerborg said:

At the Depot?  Sure, grenades solve so many problems there.  Woodland, not so much, until you've actually reached a structural objective.

I remeber sitting outside a room Rodger as camped in and you'd think he was shitting the BFGs out they just kept coming.

In woodland I find them useless at least when I went to S8 I left my TRMR in the safe zone after the first game of the morning as it wasn't useful at all. It worked good at FWG because of the buildings.  Still need that bloody multishot base!

Communication baby is the success to all,even when you or your team mates give a nice loud "hit" it all helps even better if the opposite team does too 😉 and have a bit of a plan the less complicated the better 🖖

6 minutes ago, StayOnTarget said:

Communication baby is the success to all,even when you or your team mates give a nice loud "hit" it all helps even better if the opposite team does too 😉 and have a bit of a plan the less complicated the better 🖖

communication yes today I overhead some good communication today.

"lets split in to 3 teams and converge on the enemy position"

People love their good old pretending to know what the fuck they are talking about. Plans either need to be simple or people won't know what to do. Can't just say split in to 3 teams to a gaggle of airsofters.  Then he assigns each time a designation Alpha Charlie and Golf. Why not alpha bravo and charlie? too simple I suppose ABCunt. I shouldn't discourage people trying better than everyone being silent.

Luckily there was a military guy their to fill in the gaps in his plan like actual places for the teams to go 😂

• Supporters
13 hours ago, Musica said:

communication yes today I overhead some good communication today.

"lets split in to 3 teams and converge on the enemy position" 

I assume that's from the same chap who I was following two weeks ago for the amusement value of hearing him yell "MOVING UP ALPHA IN SIGNIFICANT FORCE!" into his Baofeng?

Yeah, that force would be me and you, chum.  Thanks for the compliment, I guess. :D

52 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

I assume that's from the same chap who I was following two weeks ago for the amusement value of hearing him yell "MOVING UP ALPHA IN SIGNIFICANT FORCE!" into his Baofeng?

Yeah, that force would be me and you, chum.  Thanks for the compliment, I guess. :D

Yes it was.

Was nice to see big Phil step up and calmly explain it with actual ideas relating to site layout as aposed to buzz words to sound important. 

Getting groups to push and attack can be tough. take  x 2 bombs to fort at Combat South was fun this weekend, bomb was sat still, asking those around who is going to carry, even through masks the rentals have this 'What? and get shot?!' look. Asked/shouted for suppression and was given the chance to run up and dump bomb on objective. 

the flanking we tried as a team of three was mostly disrupted by a couple of sneaky gits. Moving under fire was simply move whilst two cover / suppress with 'I'm moving to your ....'

• Supporters
10 minutes ago, EvilMonkee said:

Bags of smoke, straight up the middle.

minus the smoke the middle can sometimes be an effective strategy when a lot of folk like to hug edges so they only have 1 side to focus on.

Its an old army joke/truism about the best way to assault a position.

Given that most real life tactics are useless in airsoft due to weapon ranges, even fire and manoeuvre falls short.  The simplest way to advance through woods with a group is just in a line, the trick is getting everyone on line moving at the correct speed and not bunching and not stopping when they take effective fire.  Almost Soviet like tactics.

We have a game at Longmoor (Airborne Airsoft) where the defenders are at the top of a steep hill and entrenched, and the attackers assault from a landing craft at the base. Defenders get 3 lives and have to fall back a trench row each hit. Offence get infinite lives respawning at the LC. Great scenario. Its all standard UK woodland, brambles and ferns. active area is only 200 ft wide with marked minefields at either side

Either scenario is do-able but requires some coordination from the teams

Defence best tactic, a LMG set up on either flank with a couple of folks with assault rifles either side to defend them. ie a kill zone across the front of the LC. just keep spraying the LC once the front door drops. We kept 1 team in that LC for 30 mins once. I got through an electric 2500 round drum mag on my G36C set up as a LMG on full auto. they were to tired from keep having to run up hill and go back to respawn

Attack: I take my SSG24 sniper and hang back out of range while the team split in 2 and push either flank. I then pick off anyone who exposes themselves to hit the flankers, then we rush the middle. cover fire while moving up a tree works a little if you can get the newbies to cover you, but you'll soon get hit. Hanging back and picking targets seems to work better. You also want to avoid getting hit as keep respawning and having to run up the hill is knackering. So stealthy monkey works best 

• Supporters
1 hour ago, MadMole said:

got through an electric 2500 round drum mag on my G36C set up as a LMG on full auto.

Wouldn't you rather use a bolt action Uzi set up as a mortar on semi auto?

1 hour ago, Rogerborg said:

Wouldn't you rather use a bolt action Uzi set up as a mortar on semi auto?

I had a mental picture of you throwing a fully loaded uzi into the enemy ranks where it span and went off in full auto 8-)

Archived