Tips for advancing effectively in woodlands

Lollingsgrad
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Had an interesting game at the weekend, the enemy team wiped the floor with us advancing in open woodland. Had us driven back to respawn in 10 minutes, something we weren't anywhere near achieving in 20 when it was our turn to attack. I came away from the game without the slightest idea how they were so much better than us.

I find in woodland I can never quite work out how best to move up. What generally happens is I move up, get stuck behind some cover, then get shot whilst looking around for another place to advance. Either that or I lose patience and go for a suicidal rush to at least take someone with me.

I'm curious, what's your best tip for advancing effectively in woodland? 

• Supporters

Defending in woodland is so much easier, the attacking team has to move and movement kills concealement.

As dopeyourscope says flanking is a good option, you need team mates to keep the defenders busy then sneak round the side. Get them to fire and reveal their locations.

My only woodland game I spent a lot of time on my stomach crawling. Often you just need to be ready to go when a flank happens or a smoke goes down. Gain as much ground as you can rinse repeat.

tumblr_onyermvsCu1ujuk5ho1_400.gif

• Supporters

Go really wide out on the flanks (most players just don’t check sideways during games )then when you start to get in close it’s go slowly slowly and go as quiet as you can .

• Supporters
On 16/08/2019 at 13:56, BibbsOnTour said:

I see all your points...

I raise you this:

https://www.kickingmustang.com/kmcs-ghillie-suit

I call your link and raise you a steaming pile of horse shit !

As this seems to be most experienced players opinion of said STD stain in the link  !😉

9B77F9B0-17BE-41DD-8252-1B00B9D24207.jpeg

• Supporters
4 hours ago, BibbsOnTour said:

I see all your points...

I raise you this:

I was just about to say that the best way to "win" at airsoft is to go out of bounds, and not take your hits.

If you're playing fair and getting monstered, then perhaps that strategy is being used against you to good effect.

Otherwise, as above.  You can pew from range, or you can go around.  Trying to advance in the open against 30 rps ball-slingers with 400 round magazines is suicidal.

On covering / suppressing fire, if you're putting your balls close enough to your target that they're even aware of them, then you're not suppressing so much as firing for effect.  If you're already in range, then don't worry about advancing, just keep hosing until you hit them.

• Supporters

No ones mentioned copious amounts of pyro. I mean you try getting a decent shot of when there’s 100 blanks with 12G going off around you. 

1 hour ago, Rogerborg said:

I was just about to say that the best way to "win" at airsoft is to go out of bounds, and not take your hits.

If you're playing fair and getting monstered, then perhaps that strategy is being used against you to good effect.

I mean, I'm sure there was some, it was at least 30 a side, but I didn't notice any gratuitous cheating. I believe a very large part of it was that we had the majority of the rentals. About half our team were rocking stock Valken M4s so we were outraged and on top of that the majority of rentals did not try to advance at all.

That said, the enemy team weren't just better equipped, they were coordinated and played better. I just don't really know what they were doing that meant they played better. I mostly play with my girlfriend and the odd friend who comes along, my attempts at coordinating attacks has mainly involved a lot of talking followed by getting shot immediately. I'm more of a tech than a tactician and it occurs to me that if I actually wanted to play better I wouldn't really know where to start.

5 minutes ago, E21A said:
5 hours ago, BibbsOnTour said:

I see all your points...

I raise you this:

I wouldnt piss in his ear if his brain was on fire, let alone give him my money 

His brain is on fire, have you seen this ?😁

"I'm up, He sees me, I'm down"

That phrase will tell you roughly how long it's safe to be out of cover........

Other than that, teamwork, suppressive fire, fire and manoeuvre and flanks. 

All of the above notwithstanding if your entire team follows the standard airsoft procedure of advancing to about 3m out of range of the other team and going static then its unlikely you'll make much progress on your own unless you work the flanks etc.

If I'm in range of them I generally don't worry about moving until after I've shot them. Mostly it's about staying low, picking your fights and not over extending and getting cut off from your team. That or I break out the M4 DSG pistol shooting 50rps and do a one man version of WWI era walking fire

when being 'sneaky' make sure your movement is slow and low and consider your footing and the direction your moving in. Nothing gives away a position more than quick movement. It's usually accompanied by the sound of every branch in the forest being snapped and trodden on and occasional by the loud thump and swearing of said sneaky beaky going face first into the floor.

Also don't take random pot shots, it will only give you away. Make sure you have a high chance of hitting what your going to shoot otherwise its's a long walk back to respawn.

If your trying for a direct frontal assault then you need some decent half switched on folk, good communication and some smoke.

Move up in 'fire teams' with half the players letting rip at the opfor position to get their heads down, whilst the other half bound forward, rinse and repeat so that both halves support each other. Don't make the bounds too big as you will just get picked off. Smoke can aid this though i personally tend to throw smoke as more of a distraction than for cover as a big cloud of smoke always screams 'shoot me' to me.

For even more fun, if you can get a few guys on comms. Mix up the flanking attack and frontal attack. Using the frontal assault to cover the approach of the flanking force.

Or you could take my mates approach. Run forward, arms spread wide whilst screaming. I don't know why but he seems to manage to get miles ahead of us by doing that. I'm sure it's just a shock thing, that or the other team are too busy laughing at the site of an overweight raging dwarf running at them.

On 16/08/2019 at 18:32, Prisce said:

No ones mentioned copious amounts of pyro. I mean you try getting a decent shot of when there’s 100 blanks with 12G going off around you. 

tbh this works ahaha the amount of "grenade" kills i got yesterday was amazing, i only had 1 dynatex impact and i must have 35 kills in total maybe more.  there was one part where i cleared about 5 or 6 guys out of one room, was so impressed with myself lol. just kept rearming every opportunity i had 

• Supporters
25 minutes ago, Mad Rag said:

tbh this works ahaha the amount of "grenade" kills i got yesterday was amazing

At the Depot?  Sure, grenades solve so many problems there.  Woodland, not so much, until you've actually reached a structural objective.

15 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

At the Depot?  Sure, grenades solve so many problems there.  Woodland, not so much, until you've actually reached a structural objective.

your right, it depends on the game area i suppose. oi still think the run shoot and ask questions later haha 

Archived