Ex-Forces Turned TV/Social Media Personalities

BibbsOnTour

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

3 hours ago, CrackCommandoUnit1972 said:

Forgot that some young 'uns may not know who Tony Hart is.

He was a kids TV presenter who had an art show who he shared with his plasticine buddy Morph.

He came accross as the most gentle man on TV, when deep down he was a hard as nails officer in the Gurkhas.

Don’t click the link if you are of a sensitive nature or if you don’t want do damage your childhood memories with the exposure of  Morphs dark secrets 

https://www.arrse.co.uk/community/threads/morph-calls-naked-bar.95837/

22 hours ago, CrackCommandoUnit1972 said:

Forgot that some young 'uns may not know who Tony Hart is.

He was a kids TV presenter who had an art show who he shared with his plasticine buddy Morph.

He came accross as the most gentle man on TV, when deep down he was a hard as nails officer in the Gurkhas.

That's crazy hahaha I vaguely remember Morph... 22y/o but my parents are 60+ so I ended up watching older programmes as a result😂

• 2 weeks later...

Based on my own experience, if you leave the military and want to make your own way off your service then fair play, provided you aren't revealing secrets or embellishing your own career. 

I remember leaving the army and the attitude was 'Thanks, but fuck off then'. In this country, there is little gratitude or help for vets (compared to the US, for example), so if a vet is going to make some money based off their achievements then fair enough 

But, I personally can't stand Ant Middleton, the guy is full of himself. 

On 13/04/2020 at 21:22, Macv276 said:

In this country, there is little gratitude or help for vets (compared to the US, for example)

Yeah. I think over here we could definitely do a bit more as we seem to do a great job one day a year and the other 364 days it's barely spoken about.

As for the US, at times, it seems a little bit too over the top. But on a whole the gratitude shown is fantastic. I think the fact some vets walk around in their BDUs and people come up to them in Walmart and make a huge fuss thanking them for their service is a bit much, and some US vets even say that themselves. But then again, this is America we're talking about. Certainly wouldn't fly over here! Would be more like "who does this prick think he is? Action man?"😂

On 17/04/2020 at 02:10, BibbsOnTour said:

Yeah. I think over here we could definitely do a bit more as we seem to do a great job one day a year and the other 364 days it's barely spoken about.

As for the US, at times, it seems a little bit too over the top. But on a whole the gratitude shown is fantastic. I think the fact some vets walk around in their BDUs and people come up to them in Walmart and make a huge fuss thanking them for their service is a bit much, and some US vets even say that themselves. But then again, this is America we're talking about. Certainly wouldn't fly over here! Would be more like "who does this prick think he is? Action man?"😂

I saw your article,with nothing better to do this morning but sip decafe coffee I read the whole thing and thought it was a good topic. I pretty much agreed with everyones opinion and would just like to add a bit of my own,back in the day you were discouraged (ordered) from wearing your uniform out of barracks as not only a matter of self preservation but also to prevent civilian casualties due to being spotted by a terrorist who would make a record of where you went etc

I dont know if this is still protocol now but I have to be honest I really dont like seeing serving forces in Sainsburys doing their shopping in uniform its nothing personal its just old habits die hard,as for thanking service personnel for their service I always do when some old hard case is collecting for poppy day in his dress uniform looking smart as a carrot,maybe I'm wrong but I think this is the British way of doing things.its genuine its humble and its respectful 

Anyhoo I wish you all the best  with your military career and hope you're all staying safe.....Cheers! 

3 hours ago, StayOnTarget said:

as for thanking service personnel for their service I always do when some old hard case is collecting for poppy day in his dress uniform looking smart as a carrot,maybe I'm wrong but I think this is the British way of doing things.its genuine its humble and its respectful 

Yes, sorry.. that was probably a grey area. I was referring to the videos I've seen of the blokes in US who look like they've just chucked their combats on to pop to the shops which is apparently the norm over there? Some of these guys are obviously walts but from what I see/hear/am told this is also normal behaviour for serving guys too and to me that seems more like they're fishing for the attention of the genuine thank you for your service types.

The older gentlemen who are out in their bests on the doorstep of Morrisons with a box of poppies are obviously out with nothing but the best intentions!

3 hours ago, StayOnTarget said:

Anyhoo I wish you all the best  with your military career and hope you're all staying safe.....Cheers! 

Thank you mate, and you👍

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.