Better BB option?

Huxley
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

1 minute ago, Huxley said:

I'm currently around 355fps 1.79j running 0.30's.

But stepping down to 0.25g means I can run 390 or so FPS whilst maintaining joule output.

Now obviously I'll lose a bit of accuracy, so is keeping where I am the better option?

.30's will shoot slower initially, but carry what speed it has for longer then the .25's. Stick with the 30's. 

43 minutes ago, Asomodai said:

.30's will shoot slower initially, but carry what speed it has for longer then the .25's. Stick with the 30's. 

Meant to add I can run a stronger spring with a lighter BB.

From what I've read online, most dmr users stick with 0.30-0.36g so I'm guessing that's what is best.

The rifle is very consistent, and I was hitting snipers without too much bother, just the extra fps I can push got me thinking.

• Supporters

for a given joule output, and assuming your hop unit can lift it ok, the heavier bb is always the better option for out and out range.

as asmodai says a heavier bb might start out slower, but it maintains that speed for longer which also keeps it in the range where the magnus force can keep it lifted.

i'd mirror his advice, stick with the .3's, or even go heavier if you can stomach how much geoff's .4's cost.

• Supporters
18 minutes ago, Huxley said:

Well thing is, in order to run a bigger BB I'll have to step down to an m110 otherwise I'm over the joule limit.

I can easily lift heavier, heck 0.30g is the minimum I can run.

Do you see dilemma?

you're getting joule creep on an aeg?

• Supporters
25 minutes ago, Huxley said:

Do you see dilemma?

Not really, no.

You're clearly aware that for the same kinetic energy that higher muzzle velocity but lower BB mass reduces range, so I'm not even sure why you're considering it.

Genuinely puzzled as to the point of the question.

2 hours ago, Rogerborg said:

Not really, no.

You're clearly aware that for the same kinetic energy that higher muzzle velocity but lower BB mass reduces range, so I'm not even sure why you're considering it.

Genuinely puzzled as to the point of the question.

My thinking was that running 40 or so fps higher might offset it.

This is for my Dmr. Either way I now have a chrono on order.

• Supporters
5 minutes ago, Huxley said:

why do you need raw fps? energy is what matters, and as a general rule you're not going to get much energy change from an aeg just by swapping ammo.

yes heavy ammo can "feel" slow but it's not too hard to learn to shoot around the problem.

31 minutes ago, Huxley said:

4 hours ago, Huxley said:

Meant to add I can run a stronger spring with a lighter BB.

No, you cant.

You are getting it the wrong way round. Some unscrupulous people like to put in heavier springs to compensate for lack of FPS on heavier ammo weights and lie about the weight they are using at chrono. but they would be over the joule/FPS limit.

Let us assume that you are in the UK and that your local sites DMR FPS limit is 450 FPS on .2's, otherwise known as 1.88 Joules. 

Your current FPS is 355 on .3's Which is 1.76 Joules. If you used .25s then you would be running at 388 FPS. This is still 1.76 Joules. The Joules are not affected by different weights, the only thing that it affects is FPS.

The max you would be allowed is 365FPS on .3's (1.88 Joules) before you would be over the limit. On .25's you would still be at 1.88 Joules and at the limit, but it would be firing at 400 FPS

35 minutes ago, Asomodai said:

No, you cant.

You are getting it the wrong way round. Some unscrupulous people like to put in heavier springs to compensate for lack of FPS on heavier ammo weights and lie about the weight they are using at chrono. but they would be over the joule/FPS limit.

Let us assume that you are in the UK and that your local sites DMR FPS limit is 450 FPS on .2's, otherwise known as 1.88 Joules. 

Your current FPS is 355 on .3's Which is 1.76 Joules. If you used .25s then you would be running at 388 FPS. This is still 1.76 Joules. The Joules are not affected by different weights, the only thing that it affects is FPS.

The max you would be allowed is 365FPS on .3's (1.88 Joules) before you would be over the limit. On .25's you would still be at 1.88 Joules and at the limit, but it would be firing at 400 FPS

Thanks for the explanation, my assumption was joule would change according to bb weight clearly I was wrong.

So I could quite happily run 0.36 and perhaps be a bit better off. I was afraid that going heavier would throw me off site limits, which iirc is 450fps 1.83 joule.

Good to know there's still more to be had. I'm already impressed with how capable it's been, a touch more accuracy would be awesome.

3 minutes ago, Huxley said:

Thanks for the explanation, my assumption was joule would change according to bb weight clearly I was wrong.

So I could quite happily run 0.36 and perhaps be a bit better off. I was afraid that going heavier would throw me off site limits, which iirc is 450fps 1.83 joule.

Good to know there's still more to be had. I'm already impressed with how capable it's been, a touch more accuracy would be awesome.

If the rifle is over-volumed then heavier weights can bring the Joule rating up. 

• Supporters
2 minutes ago, Huxley said:

Stock cylinder and piston, barrel is a touch longer.

whilst it's possible to get joule creep on an spring gun, i've never experienced it to any notable degree, it tends to be much more pronounced in gas guns/hpa's where it can be a real problem.

i'd get some geoff's .4's and try them out, make sure it gets chrono'd on joules to be sure it's not going over although it's unlikely.

only problem i can see happening is your bank balance taking a nose dive courtesy of outdoor&tactical :P

1 minute ago, Adolf Hamster said:

whilst it's possible to get joule creep on an spring gun, i've never experienced it to any notable degree, it tends to be much more pronounced in gas guns/hpa's where it can be a real problem.

i'd get some geoff's .4's and try them out, make sure it gets chrono'd on joules to be sure it's not going over although it's unlikely.

only problem i can see happening is your bank balance taking a nose dive courtesy of outdoor&tactical :P

Haha oh that happened a long time ago, I'm now at that stage where do I gate titan the thing or go hpa.

Trouble is hpa nozzles seem to be too strong for airsoft, everywhere I've looked there's people with issues. Shame as I'd love me a Wolverine Reaper.

Funny you mention Geoffs, I was about to use their black 0.30g bb's as since rhopping my As Val is really consistent to the point I can trust where they're going.

Also I'm going to be switching to a Digital Flora setup, turns out I adore Sposn/Sso/Giena Tactics gear. I have an Sposn Rt-3 sling and it's perfect, I can actually stand and shoot with a 10kg rifle.

Turns out NATO gear just isn't for me.

• Supporters

the polarstar fusion does a good line in different nozzles, and the f2 has a low flow poppet makes it a bit easier to manage.

not used any of the wolverine stuff so can't comment, but i imagine it'd probably be ok at the 1.8j you're trying to run.

Archived