So it seems I've turned my Combat Machine into a Death Star superlaser

trooper2216
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I might be exaggerating just a wee bit.

Short version of the story is I got my G&G Raider CM16 2.0 chrono'd at a game today and it averaged out at about 357fps which made it too hot for the 350fps site limit. About four weeks ago it chrono'd at 298fps. All I've done since then is I've cleaned, polished and teflon tape wrapped the inner barrel, flat hopped and then teflon taped the hop-up bucking. The only thing that could have changed its fps is (I think!) the bucking wrapping.

Now, I got the gun upgraded with an M100 spring when I bought it. I'd like to keep the spring but chop it down a little bit at a time until I get an FPS reading that I'm comfortable with. Is there anything I need to be aware of before I do that? I mean, gearbox or piston considerations or anything like that?

Thanks!

Was it chrono'd at the same site or a different one? They don't all read the same unfortunately.

You may want to try compressing your spring first to take the edge off it, have you got your own chrono so you can check the outcome of your efforts?

Different site each time - South Coast CQB the first time and Ironsight yesterday. It did occur to me that one chrono would read differently to another but I do want to go back to Ironsight. I'm still blown away by the leap in velocity from just wrapping the bucking.

Thanks for the advice on spring compression I'll give that a go. Since I made the first post I've read about short stroking including this thread with what I feel is some great information from Sitting Duck. If I understood it right then removing one tooth from the sector gear and piston rack could get me the reduction I need while keeping it near 350.

I don't have a chrono - yet. I realise I should get one before I start fooling around with springs and gears to fine tune the thing. I'm apprehensive though of permanently changing the gears like that when playing around with the cheaper and more easily replaceable spring seems like a wiser place to start.

I'm no airsoft tech but I do like to get stuck into things, learn how they work, make my own mistakes, etc etc. So would it be a decent strategy to try the following in order....?

- spring compression

- cut the spring

- short stroke

Thanks again.

I'm the same, just started but enjoying the tinkering. Have already cut down a 110 variable spring to get 340 from 375 uncut.

I did get a chrono early on though and it was vital as i trimmed off a turn, checked, trimmed a little more.

Well surprised at your teflon gains though, i should have done that first!

Beg borrow or steal a chrono before you start start doing anything drastic (Your local shop will probably crono the gun for you if you ask nicely) it could be a case that the person using the chrono at the site didn't know how to use it and your changing things for no reason.

Even a bit of sunlight down the chrono can give you wonky results

• Supporters
17 hours ago, trooper2216 said:

I might be exaggerating just a wee bit.

Short version of the story is I got my G&G Raider CM16 2.0 chrono'd at a game today and it averaged out at about 357fps which made it too hot for the 350fps site limit. About four weeks ago it chrono'd at 298fps. All I've done since then is I've cleaned, polished and teflon tape wrapped the inner barrel, flat hopped and then teflon taped the hop-up bucking. The only thing that could have changed its fps is (I think!) the bucking wrapping. massively improved the air seal.

Fixed that for you.

Archived