WE Europe F229 Slide Issue

SnakeDoctor87
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi Guys, 

I'm new to the forums and was hoping someone here could help with an issue that has recently started happening with my Pistol.

So this issue recently started happening after a piece of my hop unit in the pistol broke off and caused my gun to jam mid game(See Photo 1). I managed to clear the gun and found the bit that broke off (See Photo 3). Soon after this my issue began. As it stands when I fire my pistol the slide catch will engage even with the magazine full with bb's. This is also sporadic, it doesn't happen all the time. It can be the 1st, 5th, 6th or 10th shot etc. I don't understand why this is happening as the slide catch should only engage when the mag is empty and the bb follower pushes up the slide catch. I cleaned the pistol to remove any debris which resulted in me taking out the gbb housing and noticing a screw missing (See Photo 2), I also found metal debris in the piston and on the outside of the housing.

I have done some trouble shooting myself, I swapped magazine same thing happened.  I've made sure my grip isn't engaging the slide catch by accident. I checked the slide catch is functioning correctly, which it does engage when the mag is empty. Trigger works as expected, hammer works with no issue and the de-cocker works as it should.

I am not sure if the hop unit is the issue as it is mostly stationary when the mechanics of the gun function, it seems that the issue revolves around the slide catch from what I can work out, but I could be wrong.

Has anybody got any ideas as to what it could be please? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

RB.

Photo 3.jpg

Photo 2.jpg

Photo 1.jpg

might not be useful, but maybe troubleshoot the following:

slide catch spring might be weakened after use, if so take it out and stretch it a bit or get a new one

the missing screw is to hold up the nozzle frame, so replacing that will be a good shout

the hop up piece that broke off is very common, mine did the exact same. However i have had no slide catch issues, so it is definitely not due to the broken hop up.

Have you taken the grips completely off? the p226 has an annoying trait that everything is exposed when the grips are off, which can cause things to come loose, so make sure everything is where it should be under the grips and the grips themselves are on tight.

Hi HELIflipper03,

Thank you for replying back, I really appreciate it.

39 minutes ago, HELIflipper03 said:

slide catch spring might be weakened after use, if so take it out and stretch it a bit or get a new one

I had noticed that the slide catch is loose, do you think the slide catch is jumping up during the recoil?

the missing screw is to hold up the nozzle frame, so replacing that will be a good shout

I did figure this was important, god knows where that screw went. Although when holding the slide release down the gun fires perfectly with no issues. So I do reckon it could be the slide catch issue.

the hop up piece that broke off is very common, mine did the exact same.

I did figure this as the hop unit is stationary during firing.

Have you taken the grips completely off? the p226 has an annoying trait that everything is exposed when the grips are off, which can cause things to come loose, so make sure everything is where it should be under the grips and the grips themselves are on tight.

I have take the grips off and I almost bricked it when stuff fell out, but I was able to put it all back together and it works fine minus the slide catch issue.

I will double check it, get a new screw for the housing or just replace the housing and stretch the slide release spring a little and let you know how I get on.

Again thanks for the help.

Snake.

P.s. out of interest is there much difference between the TM and We Europe versions of the P226 platform? Are parts interchangeable?

8 minutes ago, SnakeDoctor87 said:

Hi HELIflipper03,

Thank you for replying back, I really appreciate it.

I had noticed that the slide catch is loose, do you think the slide catch is jumping up during the recoil?

I did figure this was important, god knows where that screw went. Although when holding the slide release down the gun fires perfectly with no issues. So I do reckon it could be the slide catch issue.

I did figure this as the hop unit is stationary during firing.

I have take the grips off and I almost bricked it when stuff fell out, but I was able to put it all back together and it works fine minus the slide catch issue.

I will double check it, get a new screw for the housing or just replace the housing and stretch the slide release spring a little and let you know how I get on.

Again thanks for the help.

Snake.

P.s. out of interest is there much difference between the TM and We Europe versions of the P226 platform? Are parts interchangeable?

No worries! Glad to be of assistance. It is very possible that the slide catch is loose or the spring is damaged and it is moving up and down as you fire, that seems like your best bet. The small screw may not fix the slide catch issue, but it may solve problems that could appear in the future. 

On the WE/TM question, the WE is practically a clone of the TM but with looser tolerances. So most parts probably would fit, I have not tired. Some parts may need modification though, such as the inner barrel I know has a slightly shorter arrangement of the hop up bucking slots. But I do know for sure that the mags are 100% interchangeable, so thats a good side at least. 

24 minutes ago, HELIflipper03 said:

No worries! Glad to be of assistance. It is very possible that the slide catch is loose or the spring is damaged and it is moving up and down as you fire, that seems like your best bet. The small screw may not fix the slide catch issue, but it may solve problems that could appear in the future. 

Yeah I think I will get a replacement screw or housing.

24 minutes ago, HELIflipper03 said:

On the WE/TM question, the WE is practically a clone of the TM but with looser tolerances. So most parts probably would fit, I have not tired. Some parts may need modification though, such as the inner barrel I know has a slightly shorter arrangement of the hop up bucking slots. But I do know for sure that the mags are 100% interchangeable, so thats a good side at least. 

That is good to know, especially the mags. I imagine TM are better quality mags as well.

I'll let you know how I get on.

Snake.

Hey HELIflipper03,

Your a legend mate. Stretching the spring for the slide catch worked a treat, my pistol successfully fired of two whole mags with no issues. I was also able to find a screw from an old laptop that fit perfectly to replace the missing one for the nozzle housing.

Thanks for all your help and suggestions. Case closed.

Snake 🐍

Archived