Holster wear

emilianoksa
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I know that all holsters, even fabric ones, will wear the finish of a pistol. And it's the constant drawing of it and reholstering it that does it.

I imagine hard holsters will generally do it faster.

The other day I watched a video of a bloke who has a TM 4.3 Hi Capa. He was using it in a custom kydex holster and after just 6 months the finish had been almost completely ripped off the lower black painted metal frame. It looked about 10 years old. He must have been drawing and holstering it a lot during those six months.

I know the Serpa and IMI type polymer injected holsters also produce wear, but I wondered if they were just as hard on pistol finishes as kydex, which are always a tight fit and have passive retention only. Kydex seems pretty hard compared to other polymers.

• Supporters

my serpas have prematurely worn my slides (& I don't draw my pistolthat much), nothing more than the top finish though, no physical damage.p

most safarilands have a felt type lining, which is gentler on the finish

Thanks for the information.

A certain amount of wear can actually enhance the appearance of a pistol, but the gun in the video looked like it had had a file repeatedly run across it. It didn't look like normal wear - just a mess.

• Supporters

maybe he'd tried to prematurely age it, as some do, me I don't worry about it, they're toys for playing with & I'd rather a holster that keeps hold of it than a pristine pistol laying lost in the woods somewhere 😉

• Supporters

I have had my DTD Mk23 holster and WAS universal holster for my pistols for around 2 years now. I always wear at least one and neither of my pistols have noticeable wear and tear on them.

Think it’s the angle you draw them at maybe?

5 hours ago, Tackle said:

maybe he'd tried to prematurely age it, as some do, me I don't worry about it, they're toys for playing with & I'd rather a holster that keeps hold of it than a pristine pistol laying lost in the woods somewhere 😉

I would have agreed with you when I was still skirmishing.

But I can't do that any more so I'm stuck with being a collector and plinker.

I have a couple of hard cases for when I go to the range, but it can be convenient sometimes to have a holster. Also essential if you want to practise your draw.

• Supporters
7 minutes ago, emilianoksa said:

I would have agreed with you when I was still skirmishing.

But I can't do that any more so I'm stuck with being a collector and plinker.

I have a couple of hard cases for when I go to the range, but it can be convenient sometimes to have a holster. Also essential if you want to practise your draw.

For occasional use the serpa chinese knock offs are actually very good, depending on what pistols you've got ?.

• Supporters

Never been an issue for my with nuprol holsters, only notable instance was the sig got kind of battered around the areas outside the holster, but i kinda liked the effect it gave.

My current fave is the makarov, got one of the alpha holsters off grey shop and its really sturdy but nice loose fit, doubt the finish will wear at any appreciable rate.

Archived