A solid, waterproof Radio?

Guest Yukarin
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Guest Yukarin

So I'm thinking of buying a real steel MSA Sordin because I'm thoroughly unimpressed with the Chinese clones of Comtacs and the like, they seem to have a lot of issues.

However right now I have a £30 baofeng, and before I choose a headset for which I'll need to buy a PTT with a specific radio plug, I need to settle on a good, reliable radio platform, or ill have to change plugs, which won't be easy / cheap.

Thing is, I know next to nothing about radios, my friends usually set them up for me if we end up using comms. So im looking for a decent, programmable radio that is waterproof (at the very least heavy rain proof), as rain doesn't put me off playing at all and I'll need to make sure the radio doesn't short and kill anything else let alone itself.

Anyone versed in radios here? Recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Baofeng do plenty of fully waterproof cheapens. I run a R760 and its fine, Just need a 2 pin adapter for it

Guest Yukarin
7 minutes ago, MadMole said:

Baofeng do plenty of fully waterproof cheapens. I run a R760 and its fine, Just need a 2 pin adapter for it

Thanks, I'll have a look, not that I don't trust Baofeng, lots of people run them, just might want something that may stand the test of time more.

Ive used Icoms and many other makes at work. The baofengs are just as reliable to be honest. Normally its antenna connectors etc that go. Just put a decent big aerial on and leave it and you should be good. The actual electronics very rarely fail. Batteries are the second weak point, keep em charged and don't run em down

• Supporters
6 hours ago, UKCYukarin said:

Thanks, I'll have a look, not that I don't trust Baofeng, lots of people run them, just might want something that may stand the test of time more.

To be honest bud unless you act like a twat with it a baofeng should last just as long most other radio’s including the eye wateringly expensive ones .

Archived