Just plinking

JMAAGG
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi all,

I'm John and I live in Windsor. I've been looking around the forum for information and thought it would be rude not to stop in here to say hi. So hi.

I have a 9 year old who won a crappy CYMA spring pistol at a fairground shooting gallery a few weeks ago and he's enjoying target shooting indoors. He's too young to skirmish and we have a communal garden so I'm looking at getting him an AEP for plinking indoors. Fear not, he's using eye protection by way of safety goggles for DIY.

See you around.

Oh, can anyone tell me where the toilets are?

• Supporters
1 hour ago, JMAAGG said:

Oh, can anyone tell me where the toilets are?

The Shite usually stays on FaceBook. I’d try there.

• Supporters

Something to be aware of is that all AEPs have very bulky grips - you've got the magazine, motor, gears and piston all crammed in there.  Not the best for small hands, and there's nothing wrong with using spring pistols for target shooting. 

2 hours ago, Prisce said:

The Shite usually stays on FaceBook. I’d try there.

Too much shite there for my liking.

1 hour ago, Rogerborg said:

Something to be aware of is that all AEPs have very bulky grips - you've got the magazine, motor, gears and piston all crammed in there.  Not the best for small hands, and there's nothing wrong with using spring pistols for target shooting. 

I appreciate the advice - I haven't got round to seeing any in the flesh yet, but will pay careful attention to grip size. Might not be the end of the world if the grip is too big for my son, my hands are big enough 😉

I wasn't trying to say that spring pistols were a poor choice, just that the one my son got is crap. It's a Cyma P618 - it jams if you try to load more than 3 rds in the mag, the slide is hard to pull back and looks like it'll fall apart if you frown at it. It retails for as little as £3.82, though one site worrying has them at £21.45!

I will take a look at decent quality spring pistols too.

• Supporters

Fair enough.  The CYMA AEPs will all perform essentially the same, and have the same bloaty grips.  They do work just fine, at about a consistent 200fps, and full auto is fun.

However, gas blowback is more fun.  You don't have to break the bank to get one either.  A couple of us have taken a punt on this Army Armament G17 from a retailer that we'd normally never recommend, and been pleasantly surprised:

https://bbguns4less.co.uk/products/army-armament-r17-gbb-v3-pistol-in-blue.html

Headline price is £65, but if you add stuff to your basket there and then don't visit the site for 24 hours, you'll get a 7% discount code, bringing it down to £60.45, with free shipping.  Throw in some gas and BBs and you're good to go.

3 hours ago, Rogerborg said:

However, gas blowback is more fun.  You don't have to break the bank to get one either.  A couple of us have taken a punt on this Army Armament G17 from a retailer that we'd normally never recommend, and been pleasantly surprised:

Thanks for the info. The lower FPS of an AEP was actually a bonus as it will be used indoors, but with the bulky grips I may be forced to look at a spring or gas pistol. I'm guessing I could cut down the spring if it proved too much for indoor plinking.

What gas would be recommended for the G17?

• Head Moderator

Welcome :).

• Supporters
4 hours ago, JMAAGG said:

What gas would be recommended for the G17?

I use ASG:

https://www.patrolbase.co.uk/asg-ultrair-power-gas-520ml

For indoor use, to keep the power down, you might want to try Nuprol 1.0 or 144a.  I haven't tried these, I'm just freestyling here.

https://www.patrolbase.co.uk/nuprol-1-0-premium-blue-gas-300g

https://www.patrolbase.co.uk/abbey-144a-predator-summer-gun-gas-700ml

I should stress that the CYMA AEPs do shoot perfectly well.  It's just that the trigger response and kick from a gas blowback is a great laugh.

For indoor target use, I'd recommend getting a sticky target - just have a look on eBay or Amazon for "airsoft sticky target".  They come in 6" or 12" sizes and the BBs really do stick to them, then rolllll slowwwwwly dowwwwwwn into a tray.

5 hours ago, Jedi_Master said:

Welcome :).

Thank you. Do you know where the toilets are or is it some kind of secret round here? Hazing maybe? 😁

57 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

For indoor target use, I'd recommend getting a sticky target - just have a look on eBay or Amazon for "airsoft sticky target".  They come in 6" or 12" sizes and the BBs really do stick to them, then rolllll slowwwwwly dowwwwwwn into a tray.

That's assuming you hit the target though lol. Better make it a 12". Thanks for the tip.

On 09/08/2019 at 06:50, Rogerborg said:

Fair enough.  The CYMA AEPs will all perform essentially the same, and have the same bloaty grips.  They do work just fine, at about a consistent 200fps, and full auto is fun.

https://bbguns4less.co.uk/products/army-armament-r17-gbb-v3-pistol-in-blue.html

Headline price is £65, but if you add stuff to your basket there and then don't visit the site for 24 hours, you'll get a 7% discount code, bringing it down to £60.45, with free shipping.  Throw in some gas and BBs and you're good to go.

Hey buddy are the Army Armaments worth a go as I fancy building a Big Boss (metal gear solid) 1911 and its a throw up between a secondhand TM MEU or AA R30 brand new both the same price,love your input if you can spare me a minute sometime 🖖

• Supporters

No idea, I only have the AA R17 Glock knock off.  It got a reasonable review on here a few years back when it was all trademarked.  They've since removes the trades, and it comes with a weird 12mm inner barrel thread, but mine feeds and shoots well enough so far, and I can't fault it for the price.

Archived