Grazing shots

Luke85
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

This may be a bit controversial, but just wondering what the general consensus is on grazing shots, by which I mean shots that barely (Really Barely) touch you. They might just brush the hairs on your arm or touch the skin, but its the kind of shot where even if it were a bullet it wouldn't have drawn blood and certainly wouldn't have taken you out of the fight, not even close. The general universal airsoft rules are a hits a hit, no matter how slight, and most sites also play gun hits count too. But I do think this is at least a little bit of a grey area. And I will admit that on the odd occasion, under certain circumstances, a BB has just tickled my arm on the way past and I've though, nah, bollocks to that, not a direct hit. As I said this is only under certain circumstances, such as when Im on a team that's getting absolutely mullered, or I've just re-spawned 3 or 4 times in the space of a few minutes (because our teams getting mullered), but every now and again, it can happen. So, is this cheating, am I alone on this? Personally I like to think its common sense, as if its a balanced game, or our team is dominant I call absolutely everything. But in particularly unbalanced games, when on the losing team, I think theirs a degree of acceptability to not calling a hit that's just brushed past your arm. 

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As E21A  it's a hit simple as that, you start with the grey area crap and where does it stop? By your logic of it not causing harm in real life then if you shoot me in the plate carrier then I dont need to call it as it wouldnt kill me.. theres always people who will push the rules, allow "grazing" hits to be ignored and suddenly alot of people have just been grazed. It really isnt worth it just take it and respawn

39 minutes ago, Luke85 said:

This may be a bit controversial, but just wondering what the general consensus is on grazing shots, by which I mean shots that barely touch you. They might just brush the hairs on your arm or touch the skin, but its the kind of shot where even if it were a bullet it would hardly have drawn blood and certainly wouldn't have taken you out of the fight, not even close. The general universal airsoft rules are a hits a hit, no matter how slight, and most sites also play gun hits count too. But I do think this is at least a little bit of a grey area. And I will admit that on the odd occasion, under certain circumstances, a BB has just tickled my arm on the way past and I've though, nah, bollocks to that, not a direct hit. As I said this is only under certain circumstances, such as when Im on a team that's getting absolutely mullered, or I've just re-spawned 3 or 4 times in the space of a few minutes (because our teams getting mullered), but every now and again, it can happen. So, is this cheating, am I alone on this? Personally I like to think its common sense, as if its a balanced game, or our team is dominant I call absolutely everything. But in particularly unbalanced games, when on the losing team, I think theirs a degree of acceptability to not calling a hit that's just brushed past your arm. 

Losing doesn't mean you can, or should, cheat. Because that's what you're doing.

• Supporters

If you're aware of it, you take it.

Airsoft is predicated on absolute honesty, and once you start down the "Yeahbut, that one didn't really count because of $REASON_IN_MY_HEAD" then you're on the slippery slope to Licking Mustard.

See, these are the responses I expected, and I 100% see where your coming from, but, respectfully disagree. If a BB flys past you and makes such minimal contact to the point it still carries on past you and behind you, not ricochet or bounce off you at all, that's not a hit, its as close as you can come to been hit. Playing in a T shirt a lot, every now and again you feel those shots that just tickle the hairs on your arm, and Im sorry, but if your all telling me you call even those shots 100% of the time I don't believe you.

If I was walking past a cricket game for example, and the cricket ball flew past my arm, only just brushing my arm. I wouldn't kick up a fuss saying the ball hit my arm, I'd say, shit, that was close. That's my point. If something flies past and makes such minimal contact as to not transfer any of its kinetic energy and keep on its flight path, that object isn't hitting you, its coming as close to hitting you as is possible. 

9 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

If you're aware of it, you take it.

Once you start down the "Yeahbut, that one didn't really count because of $REASON_IN_MY_HEAD" then you're on the slippery slope to Licking Mustard

Someone asked me something like this the other day.

Like how in some LARP-y type games an arm hit means you can't use that arm or leg hit means you've gotta hop about etc. etc., so do we do this in airsoft? And this was more or less what I said too...

If we tried to implement something like this in anything but a really tight-knit private game it'd just result in everyone trying to justify how because they got hit in the finger that's basically nothing so they can just carry on as they were or anything to that effect 😂

• Supporters

Simple fact a hit is a hit and you call it.

Once you say "IRL" you have lost your own argument as airsoft is nothing at all to do with real life. 

I hate all the muppets who go in real life as airsofters play airsoft and if you want IRL just join the bloody army. Because yes IRL the bullet just breaks the skin and burns it but it is the shit down the back of your legs that apparently really fucks up your day.

21 minutes ago, Luke85 said:

See, these are the responses I expected, and I 100% see where your coming from, but, respectfully disagree. If a BB flys past you and makes such minimal contact to the point it still carries on past you and behind you, not ricochet or bounce off you at all, that's not a hit, its as close as you can come to been hit. Playing in a T shirt a lot, every now and again you feel those shots that just tickle the hairs on your arm, and Im sorry, but if your all telling me you call even those shots 100% of the time I don't believe you.

If I was walking past a cricket game for example, and the cricket ball flew past my arm, only just brushing my arm. I wouldn't kick up a fuss saying the ball hit my arm, I'd say, shit, that was close. That's my point. If something flies past and makes such minimal contact as to not transfer any of its kinetic energy and keep on its flight path, that object isn't hitting you, its coming as close to hitting you as is possible. 

If you feel it and ignore it then you are cheating, simple. 

My left arm, far from the hairiest youll ever seen im sure, but still, can be a 10-20mm above my actual arm. If I feel the BB whizz by, but it doesnt touch or sting me on the skin, thats not a hit, its just really fucking close 😂

20190808_132406.jpg

22 minutes ago, Luke85 said:

This reads like you're the type of person to wind up your sibling by insisting your finger's not over their side of the car, just 1mm short

• Supporters
Just now, Luke85 said:

My left arm, far from the hairiest youll ever seen im sure, but still, can be a 10-20mm above my actual arm. If I feel the BB whizz by, but it doesnt touch or sting me on the skin, thats not a hit, its just really fucking close 😂

20190808_132406.jpg

Yeah that is just close but if touches skin,clothes or gear it is a hit

3 minutes ago, DrAlexanderTobacco said:

This reads like you're the type of person to wind up your sibling by insisting your finger's not over their side of the car, just 1mm short

Well Im sorry you think that. I would like to point out that in over 4 years of airsofting I've never had any issues or complaints made against me for none hit calling. Like I've said, might seem like Im talking tiny tiny margins, but when you've hairy arms and play in t shirts most of the year, you get those shots that tickle the hairs on your arms but don't actually directly hit you more than you'd think. And yeah, most of the time I won't call a shot that's just disturbed my arm hair. Sorry if that's cheating to a lot of you but I just call it really close but no cigar.

1 minute ago, Luke85 said:

Well Im sorry you think that. I would like to point out that in over 4 years of airsofting I've never had any issues or complaints made against me for none hit calling. Like I've said, might seem like Im talking tiny tiny margins, but when you've hairy arms and play in t shirts most of the year, you get those shots that tickle the hairs on your arms but don't actually directly hit you more than you'd think. And yeah, most of the time I won't call a shot that's just disturbed my arm hair. Sorry if that's cheating to a lot of you but I just call it really close but no cigar.

You should go back and re-read your initial post, because this is moving the goalposts/revisionism. You've already admitted you wouldn't take hits that hit your skin

" They might just brush the hairs on your arm or touch the skin, but its the kind of shot where even if it were a bullet it wouldn't have drawn blood and certainly wouldn't have taken you out of the fight, not even close. "

You haven't been caught yet because the majority of airsofters just moan about non-hit takers rather than taking it to a marshal, and the ones that do take it forward won't get anything done because you're only cheating part of the time, and not all of the time.

My final advice - stop cheating!

• Supporters
20 minutes ago, DrAlexanderTobacco said:

You should go back and re-read your initial post, because this is moving the goalposts/revisionism.

Thus the tutting about slippery slopes.

Just take it, holy shit. If you wanna get back in the action asap, just take the hit and leg it to and from respawn rather than causing potential drama for the sake of "muh realism". 

• Supporters

i can understand the logic, but it's hard enough getting some to follow the simple concept of any hit you go to respawn, let alone make honest decisions about wether or not a particular hit should count due to x reason.

if you feel/hear it it counts, you can't really account for the stuff you don't feel, i once got called out (by a squad mate) that i'd been hit in the dump pouch, had nothing but his word to go on (didn't feel it or hear it) but called it anyway. the only time to ignore a hit is either when you're playing a specific juggernaut game with you as the juggernaut or when you're a dead man walking to respawn anyway.

same goes for freindly fire, because how do you know it's freindly and not some sneaky bugger?

you could make up complex rules like get hit in x limb you have to pretend you can't use it, hits on armour don't count etc but that's just going to end up in an absolute mess even if everyone's trying to play it properly.

All for it in fact my new rule will be unless they make 30 seconds of direct eye contact with me before shooting I won't take the hit as it was just a mistake they shot in my direction and didn't even mean to hit me and I bet they feel bad for accidentally shooting towards me. 

I've had shots go past my ear and you can tell it was close but it wasn't a hit as if it was I would of been tearing up. 

27 minutes ago, Musica said:

All for it in fact my new rule will be unless they make 30 seconds of direct eye contact with me before shooting I won't take the hit as it was just a mistake they shot in my direction and didn't even mean to hit me and I bet they feel bad for accidentally shooting towards me. 

I've had shots go past my ear and you can tell it was close but it wasn't a hit as if it was I would of been tearing up. 

This is a joke, right?

• Supporters

here's one as a question for the wisdom of the forums.

friendly fire when it's blatantly obvious it's a team-mate trolling you for a laugh rather than intended as part of the game.

yea or nay?

I thought someone might have picked up on the satire when I posted a picture of my arm hair....never mind. Maybe my girlfriends right and I'm just awkward and weird. 

3 minutes ago, Adolf Hamster said:

friendly fire when it's blatantly obvious it's a team-mate trolling you for a laugh rather than intended as part of the game.

yea or nay?

Now that is a tricky one. I’d say it’s situational if your in a engagement and a teammate hits you intentionally or not your out.

If your not actually “in” the gunfight eg it’s a bigger game and your defining a compound and your mate whips out his pistol and shoots u in the nuts id laugh and not take it.

If that makes sense.

7 minutes ago, UKCYukarin said:

This is a joke, right?

No I would probably cry if I got shot in the ear. Taken some to the forehead and they had me tearing up. 

5 minutes ago, Adolf Hamster said:

yea or nay?

It all depends I never shoot my friends for a laugh MID game but I do shoot at them occasionally if we are defending and it's a bit dull.  If it wasn't someone I knew and it happened more than once I would tell a marshal.

You can't not take hits because you think it was a team mate trolling a hit is a hit unfortunately. 

Archived