First Airsoft gun

Adan
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hello everyone

I am new in this sport so I am looking to purchase my first gun, I've been doing my research on brands, models, upgrades and so on. 

So basically I have this clear idea on my head to get an assault rifle first. Personally I like the H&K G36K  but when it comes to airsoft it could be a complete different story I don't want to purchase a "good looking" gun but functionally weak or unreliable, so Tokyo Marui manufactures the G36K and found that fires relatively same FPS everytime. But what other aspects should I look for in a gun?

For the experts what guns (models and brands) would you recommend me for being reliable and also versatile to be mechanically upgraded? on the range of £300-500. Because besides practising this sport I found interesting as a hobby to have a gun I can customise and upgrade. If the G36K is not versatile in terms of upgrading gears, motors, and so on I would look for an M4-Ar15 model or similar.

• Supporters

If you're going to buy a Tokyo Marui, I'd just clean the barrel, maybe wire it to Deans, but otherwise leave it alone.  Doubly so if you're thinking of going for a recoil gun.  Are you?

If you want to fiddle, I'd pay the minimum possible for a Jing Gong G36 and go wild.  Parts for the V3 gearbox are easily enough available.  The stock hop unit is decent enough, and barrels and hop buckings are generic.

46 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

If you want to fiddle, I'd pay the minimum possible for a Jing Gong G36 and go wild.

Agreed, alot of the time your "upgrade" can make your gun perform worse or potentially mess it all up (I've learnt the hard way).

With a nice healthy budget like that most guns in the price range are going too be cracking bits of kit as well as plenty of reviews online to help you chose but the Tokyo Marui is defiantly a solid choice.

• Supporters

As the Borg said if your going TM recoil then stick a deans on it and then leave it WELL ALONE ! 😁

I’ve got two and there both cracking good guns that most definitely ‘does what it says on the can !’ I run mine on 9.9LiFe batts and they do have a rather fruity little rate of fire too them when needed (easily 85%+ of my days shooting is single shot) but auto is there if needed ?😉

if you do want to go down the upgrade route then I also concur in get your self a bog standard Jing Gong and go wild on the upgrades ! And NOT the TM .

• Supporters

And both options are viable and enjoyable.

If you want a gun that you can actually reliably play with, go TM and don't touch it.

If you go down the fettling route, you'll to have want a backup as well, even if it's just a cheap AEG or springer.  It's all too easy to "over optimise", and the buggers like to work fine in the garage then misbehave on site.

3 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

the buggers like to work fine in the garage then misbehave on site.

just a bit of performance aniexty with so many people watching.

• Supporters
2 hours ago, Rogerborg said:

if you go down the fettling route, you'll to have want a backup as well, even if it's just a cheap AEG or springer.  It's all too easy to "over optimise", and the buggers like to work fine in the garage then misbehave on site.

I’m a great believer once you crack any gun open (and especially TM’s) to upgrade you will for ever be ‘tweaking’ them to keep that new optimum performance , think it’s fair to say TM’s are built to quite precise tolerances (hence they run for ever if left alone) but once you start f**king about with them you throw that balance right out the window ! and you will forever be playing catch up to get that balance back . To be honest I don’t believe you ever will , you may get close but it’ll never have that buy it , shoot it , put it away , forget about it , get it out , shoot it again no change to performance a good quality stock gun has .

I know where your coming from, but had my TM Recoil upgraded late last year and to date not had any issues with it and love the performance it has now. 

Wow thanks everybody for the replies, I´ll check for your suggestions and build a project there, I want to find something that has easy to find parts and upgrades. 

Archived