Comparing personal chrono with site chrono.

Stevo4345
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Supporters
On 08/08/2019 at 10:26, Tackle said:

low powered but almost magical range

Imagine that.

I'm currently striving for 349.999999 fps from my MP5K because when you're playing a game of Pop Up Pirate on a CQB site with loads of cover, those fractions of a second can make the difference between epic win and crushing defeat.

Don't judge me, this is every bit as #TrueFacts as believing that a 0.8J BB that was in a TM knows that it should fly further than a 0.8J BB that was in a CYMA.

• Supporters
1 minute ago, Rogerborg said:

Don't judge me, this is every bit as #TrueFacts as believing that a 0.8J BB emerging from a TM barrel knows that it should fly further than a 0.8J BB from a CYMA.

it's the tm hop rubbers- the dust from it coats the bb and drops the drag coeffecient from ~0.4 to 0.1

although if you put a tm hop rubber in another gun it corrupts, and the dust doesn't work any more.

this is entirely true, trust me, i done did the science.

As a new'ish airsofter I still have  a lot to learn, but a couple of things i have figured out; I'm too damned middle aged to be sprinting about CQB style doing commando rolls through doorways etc. etc. Slow and steady, use of cover, flanking, engaging from an unexpected direction, that's what gets my heart thumping, and for that i need some range and accuracy.

I am also enjoying the tech. part of it, understanding what has to happen to send that plastic bb down range accurately and within site and legal limits. If it goes wrong on the day I only have myself to blame, not some tech that took hundreds off me for upgrades that work when they feel like it.

Its difficult to scientifically  measure the feeling of running an airsoft rifle youve fettled yourself when its running right in the sweet spot.

There always will be faster, better, more expensive, whatever, its the enjoyment I get out of it wirhout burying .5's in people at short range just coz faster is better innit!

• Supporters
24 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

Imagine that.

I'm currently striving for 349.999999 fps from my MP5K because when you're playing a game of Pop Up Pirate on a CQB site with loads of cover, those fractions of a second can make the difference between epic win and crushing defeat.

Don't judge me, this is every bit as #TrueFacts as believing that a 0.8J BB that was in a TM knows that it should fly further than a 0.8J BB that was in a CYMA.

lol, I'm not saying it was the tm magic, but it was definitely a wonder to see, bit like when you see an old biplane flying so slowly that you think it should just fall out of the sky but somehow it just crawls along, almost hovering 😲

• Supporters
4 hours ago, clumpyedge said:

For the vast majority of times I play 30/40m is the distances I would be shooting so give me an under powered gun with the accuracy I need and I'm completely happy. Guess its weighing up the factors of distances of where you play and what you want out of the gun.

100% my thoughts on the subject too , realistically apart from a sniper role how often do we engage at ranges greater than 30mtrs ? For most players I’d feel pretty confident saying not many at all . Yes you will get those odd long shot opportunities ( the shot down a track , the gap in the cover that’s seams like a tunnel practically to the other teams start point !, etc) but on the whole not that many so I’d most definitely take accuracy over range any day , and on the whole I do find it’s usually the lower FPS guns that have better accuracy over the higher ones . 

52 minutes ago, Stevo4345 said:

As a new'ish airsofter I still have  a lot to learn, but a couple of things i have figured out; I'm too damned middle aged to be sprinting about CQB style doing commando rolls through doorways etc. etc. Slow and steady, use of cover, flanking, engaging from an unexpected direction, that's what gets my heart thumping, and for that i need some range and accuracy.

Same here bud , having lived a life that charges a high price later on (but wouldn’t change a thing !😉) I’m also waaaaaay beyond doing a ‘John Woo’ Through a doorway so it’s all ‘sneaky sneaky catchy monkey’ for me too , so I’d say it’s not so much the range you need it’s more the accuracy for that one shot from cover you take that’ll confuse the crap out of the other team , one of them has just been hit but not a clue where from ? Obviously it’ll be nice to have both but then your back in to sniper territory and I do feel this thread is lent towards AEG’s not bolt actions ? Then as on the whole I find it’s really rare to have both in an AEG I’d rather have the accuracy over the range .

Give me a 50m range on an aeg and my box/drum mag will do the rest, but that is the support gunner in me. 

On a tenuously related note (because I don't want to start a whole thread about it) does anyone else get batshit crazy readings from their trishot spring shotgun? Is the proper way to chrono these things to just load a single BB? I guess these Acetechs can't handle multiple projectiles passing through. 

• Supporters

My local site doesn't bother chronoing them, I believe partly because of that cray-crayness.

I'd be interested to see single-BB readings.  But if you look inside one, they've got three small pistons rather than one big one, so I wouldn't be hugely concerned about the risk of putting all the puff and energy behind a single BB.

Archived