Using a 45-degree angled scope - ?

Uncle Pauly
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Newbie here, so apologies to the Mods if this is in the wrong place.

So... I’m getting back into airsoft and a mate of mine has very kindly donated a WARQ helmet to help me on the way (he has two and recommends them highly). Haven’t used the helmet in anger as yet, but pranced around garden in it yesterday and it seemed to fit very nicely: no movement and zero fogging. Good start.

The downside is that the lower section of the helmet makes it impossible to aim-down-sights using a small-ish rifle, such as my M4 carbine. So the manufacturer recommends fitting a 45-degree angled rail mount to make scopes usable - ie. not tilting the rifle like you would using a 45-angled backup red dot, but keeping the rifle upright.

My question is: will using a 45-degree angled scope throw my aim way off? (alright... even more way off than it is already 😉). Or could the scope be adjusted to compensate for the angled mount? If it helps to know I’ll be using a red dot with a separate 3x magnifier.

Just wanted to check opinion here before I accept my mate’s offer and purchase a 45-degree rail. Thanks!

- Paul -

PS: This is what I mean by angling the scope but holding the rifle upright. Seems to work for this guy, but I’m not so sure...

9BD27ACB-0AB5-46E4-970A-3045514491E9.jpeg.fc61af3d5437cad5d69fd948b92bcc6e.jpeg

• Supporters

Wouldn’t have thought it’ll make much difference , you may need to aim slightly to the right of the target , but with the scope canted not the gun the hop won’t be affected as the guns still ‘straight’ on the vertical so the bb will still rise or fall and not at an angle as it would if you were to leave the scope on top and canted the whole gun 45% .

• Supporters

In a technical sense yes it does matter for accuracy, but on a practical level airsoft guns dont shoot far enough or accurately enough for it to make one bit of difference. Plenty of real steel guns have something similar going on for various reasons, think bren gun for example.

Would probably make zeroing a pain, at least if you couldnt rotate your dot in its mounts to keep its adjustments level like the holo you've got pictured.

Needless to say acrually canting the gun will have an effect, but looks like you knew that already.

For correct zeroing on a real firearm you would adjust the scope for a set range.

Then adjust your aim for something nearer, further etc

With airsoft its not that accurate and is strongly affected by wind etc

If using a sight then you should adjust your aim to compensate.  With a 45 degree mount just adjust aim a bit to one side, however the odds are that it will either near enough or way out depending on how you set it up, consistency of your gun and factors on the day

14 hours ago, Adolf Hamster said:

In a technical sense yes it does matter for accuracy, but on a practical level airsoft guns dont shoot far enough or accurately enough for it to make one bit of difference.

1 hour ago, jcheeseright said:

Won't make any difference at all, though as mentioned it will make zeroing the sight a bit of a chore as to move the dot left or right you'll need to alter both elevation and windage.

40 minutes ago, Tommikka said:

With a 45 degree mount just adjust aim a bit to one side, however the odds are that it will either near enough or way out depending on how you set it up, consistency of your gun and factors on the day

Thanks guys. All makes perfect sense and seems workable 👍

Angled scope mount now incoming for use with the WARQ helmet... hopefully worth the little extra effort in terms of zeroing/usage, because the helmet itself seems excellent.

Archived