Simple UK ofcom radio license question

Musica
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I am wondering if the simple UK radio license can be shared by a group or if every individul member of a group of players needs to apply for it and if it does cover a group how defined that group needs to be i.e would members need registered and if a new friend of mine starts playing he won't be covered etc.  

I am not really interested in anyone saying I can skirt the law or I won't get caught doing x y or z. I don't need advice on that I just want to know from a legal stand point about group use of a license and if possible point me towards the terms and conditions of laws around what I am asking about  I will read them as I am not looking for spoon feeding just gudiance on doing it legit.

1 hour ago, Musica said:

I am wondering if the simple UK radio license can be shared by a group or if every individul member of a group of players needs to apply for it and if it does cover a group how defined that group needs to be i.e would members need registered and if a new friend of mine starts playing he won't be covered etc.  

I am not really interested in anyone saying I can skirt the law or I won't get caught doing x y or z. I don't need advice on that I just want to know from a legal stand point about group use of a license and if possible point me towards the terms and conditions of laws around what I am asking about  I will read them as I am not looking for spoon feeding just gudiance on doing it legit.

Check some of the info here:

https://secure.ofcom.org.uk/busrad/about

In the guidance notes you would be most likely after a ‘simple U.K. licence’ (operate anywhere) and be considered an ‘incorporated association’ (a group of like minded individuals such as a team) or you could stay as an ‘individual / sole trader’ (that would mean its yours to operate)

You don’t need to list members or add/remove, you can all use the frequency as a team and tune someone else in on the day etc

I have exactly that type of licence to cover me and my mates while playing Airsoft or skiing etc. We are just a group of friends and their kids (and now the kids, kids!!!) took me 30 mins to apply and pay and get the paperwork

1 hour ago, MadMole said:

I have exactly that type of licence to cover me and my mates while playing Airsoft or skiing etc. We are just a group of friends and their kids (and now the kids, kids!!!) took me 30 mins to apply and pay and get the paperwork

I assume you applied for it as a "incorporated association" instead of "‘individual / sole trader’" ?

correct, you just need a name for your group, no peoples names

Archived