Glasses/goggles recommendations

Draculaw
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I figure this comes under “gear” but please move somewhere more appropriate if so.

In the same vein as the “what aeg” thread, is there a what glasses thread? I’ve been looking at various sites and I’m currently leaning towards the Swiss Eye Nighthawk - 3 lenses, can take an Rx adapter, reasonably priced. How is the anti-fog on them? My paintball mask fogging is the most frustrating thing about the game, so I want to make sure the same doesn’t happen in airsoft (planning on a lower face mesh and no other headgear).

Cheers.

As far as recommending eye pro I can only comment on my own pair of Bolle X800's. Had them a few years now, Think they were around £50 and I've yet to have any issues with them at all. Never fogged up, even on the hottest, most sweaty game days. They are pretty comfy, and small enough as to allow use of any optic, never had issues getting my eye down to any optic or sight. When it comes to fogging, they are lined with anti fog protection, I still on the hottest days however cleaned the insides and give them a bit of anti fogging spray just to be sure they don't mist up on me. To be honest though I think most eye pro should be decent if your spending north of £40-£50 on them. Don't know why anyone would ever cheap out on their eye pro. But yeah, if your willing to spend decent money I think any eye pro costing as much or more should see you get a strong, well built pair of goggles that shouldn't give you many if any issues regards fogging. 

Having just googled the Swiss Eye Nighthawk, I don't think they will give you any fogging issues as by design they are identical to sunglasses and have plenty air flow around them. The only down side to this is obviously that they don't completely seal around your eyes and their are angles where a BB could still sneak in potentially. A while ago I actually shot a guy with this type of eye pro on in the eye, indirectly. A BB ricochet off his forhead, onto the inside of his lense and then into his eye. Course with ricocheting twice to get there it had lost most of its energy and didnt blind the guy, just stung him and took him by surprise a bit. Still, his eye was a bit red and sore. Personally I prefer fully sealed protection on my eyes, but that's your call to make. 

Eye pro is so personal. I had a pair of bolle x800s too - they fogged all the time. You'll read people saying that dye i4 masks never fog - but they do!

If you found your paintball mask fogging really annoying I would look ones with fans or mesh (which is what i use).

Cheers

Can’t stand the Dye i4, so glad it’s not just me. 

I had worried about the side protection from the SwissEye glasses, and I do like to take care of my eyes, so I’m currently leaning towards Bolle Raiders - they seem to be a hybrid between goggle and glasses and have fairly favourable reviews. 

I’d considered mesh, but I don’t believe there’s any standard for testing them, is there? I’m a little hesitant on the basis of there being no set standard. 

I have great success with the Dye i4 over my glasses. The dye never fogs bit the glasses occasionally do at the outside edge. and your face is totally secure, visibility is the best

Also never had my Bolle X800's fog, they are brill, but can't fit my glasses underneath so no good on dull days and occasionally a bb gets through between lens and facemark despite the overlap

Tried some FMA fan googles but the strap was so long I couldn't get them to stay on

4 hours ago, Draculaw said:

Can’t stand the Dye i4, so glad it’s not just me. 

You fogged a dye mask? 

Might need to look in to a fan model. 

2 hours ago, Musica said:

You fogged a dye mask? 

I do as well, there's a on eBay that sells a battery fan kit that fits great.

And yes I do have thermal lenses, I'm just a sweaty bugger.

1 hour ago, Musica said:

You fogged a dye mask? 

Nah, I just didn’t get on with it. Heard so many people rave about them, but I hated it. Only some light misting in the bottom corner on a very hot day, but didn’t stop it feeling off on my head.

I reckon I’ll probably give raiders a go. I plan to play minimalist kit so hopefully won’t be too warm, especially if I avoid helmets etc. Worst case the kit comes with spare lenses to swap out and allow one to demist during the next game!

Fair enough you want kit that works for you not the other way around.

Friend uses raiders and too he took his insert to spec savers and they put his percripsion in for £39 useful for anyone who can't stomach contacts but isn't blessed with perfect eye sight.

I fog up with anything I've tried, it's mostly shooting style glasses and sunglasses like 5.11 Shear, some Jack Pyke shooting glasses, budget bolle glasses, Oakley Crankshaft and several others. Tried mesh, but didn't like how it makes my vision a little darker. I'm now using Valken Zulu thermal lens goggles, they're like a cross between goggles and glasses and they're the best eye pro I've used for fogging by a long way. I can still fog them, especially with face pro on at the same time, but they take so much more before they fog that it affects my game much less when I use them.

• Supporters
19 hours ago, Luke9K said:

Valken Zulu thermal lens goggles

Those look like Pyramex i-Force (and other brandings).  Pretty decent, I use them along with Revision anti-fog wipes and it takes them a good long while to fog or smear.

They still do sometimes though, so I keep my DIY dual-paned goggles with enlarged ventilation holes to hand as well.

• Supporters
On 06/08/2019 at 18:54, Draculaw said:

Nah, I just didn’t get on with it. Heard so many people rave about them, but I hated it. Only some light misting in the bottom corner on a very hot day, but didn’t stop it feeling off on my head.

I reckon I’ll probably give raiders a go. I plan to play minimalist kit so hopefully won’t be too warm, especially if I avoid helmets etc. Worst case the kit comes with spare lenses to swap out and allow one to demist during the next game!

Not the only one bud , I bought one (luckily in a half price sale) as everyone was raving about them , got it tried it on and thought “don’t like this” took it to a game to give it the benefit of the doubt and it lasted all of 10mins before I binned it and went back to my goggles and mesh mask , really really really didn’t like it at all ! So I sold it last yr at the NAE for a nice profit AND the buyer still got it for a lot cheaper than retail ! 👍

8 hours ago, Rogerborg said:

I use them along with Revision anti-fog wipes and it takes them a good long while to fog or smear.

I'll give them a try at some point, I've still only tried a small number of anti fog solutions.

• Supporters

I've tried:

Spit - doesn't work for me

Washing up liquid - doesn't work for me

Shaving cream - doesn't work for me

Potato (yes, potato) - doesn't work for me

Rain-X - doesn't work for me

Cat Craptm anti fog paste - doesn't work for me

Revision wipes - Grud on a Greenie, it almost works.

They run expensive if you buy them in small numbers, but eBay usually has someone flogging them in bulk and you'll be everybody's bestest chum if you start handing them out on game days.

2 hours ago, Rogerborg said:

Revision wipes - Grud on a Greenie, it almost works.

They run expensive if you buy them in small numbers, but eBay usually has someone flogging them in bulk and you'll be everybody's bestest chum if you start handing them out on game days.

I've ran revision with my i-force and it's not perfect but they help a lot. I swapped to my dye mask and haven't needed to use anything on it yet touch wood but my friend is fogging his dye up so it's tough as there is no solution for all. 

I've considered silverfoxs set up with a pair of shoot glasses to protect against fragments. Nice gaps for airflow and mesh providing full seal. 

I use a WARQ helmet and love it. Literally zero fogging in all weathers - and it's been tested in freezing Estonian winters and most recently in humid, thundery Manchester. Great visibility and rock solid build quality (useful if like me you're prone to mashing your head against solid objects).

Downsides are that they're expensive. I bought mine cheap whilst living abroad, but they retail for around £200 in the UK (ouch!). The lower section of the face mesh also makes it difficult to aim down sights when using shorter rifles (M4s/SMGs), which require raised and/or angled scopes to compensate.

Definitely worth a look if there's a store nearby with them in stock to try on.

WARQ.png.d4aea26c95abf93af07136e0a4e042df.png

Ok bit of an oddball solution but my scuba instructor told me this and it works! (Try clearing fog when theres 50ft of ocean above you) 😂 ok ..... jhonstons baby shampoo! And ventilation holes in goggles? There arent any in scuba so should work even better. Im new to Airsoft so im still buying my initial gear pre-skirmish.

below taken from a scuba website

Baby Shampoo Anti-Fog:

Baby shampoo, Like most shampoos, it is a surfactant and will prevent fogging. Apply baby shampoo to the inside of goggle lenses by using a cloth to wipe and spread the shampoo. However, caution must be used:

• Scratch alert! Take care when wiping baby shampoo onto goggle lenses! Lenses scratch easily; be sure to remove any dirt or debris from the lens surface prior to wiping- and use a soft, clean cloth.

You dont need to use more than a drip or two.

i hope this helps someone as fogging can ruin a good day.

On 06/08/2019 at 15:14, MadMole said:

Tried some FMA fan googles but the strap was so long I couldn't get them to stay on

Played a full day, with these (newer type with the fan in the side cross ventilating), hot humid and sweaty and they didn't fog once. I have a big head so didn't notice any strap problems.

I had a pair of Bolle X800's and a division 6 lower face and swore by it. Never fogged once.

Now I have a dye i5 and it's the best eyepro I have owned and used and seen. Nothing compares.

*plus they are gucci*

I have second hand ess goggles with no foam left. Started with spit and wipe, worked til the whistle blew for the first game, misting foggy and all that. Had to move to spare plastic 'glasses'. A quick (alright heavy) spray of nuprol anti-mist at lunch and I was good for the rest of the day. 

Archived