Charging Titan Li-ion batteries

Seth_Erebor
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hey,

I'm looking to charge multiple 11.1v stick batteries simultaneously.

Can I connect one of these (T-Plug Splitter) to one of these (Titan Charger) to charge two of these (11.1v Stick Lithium-ion)?

Can I then, I think the term is daisy chain, add two splitters to one splitter to charge four?

Thank you!

21 minutes ago, ImTriggerHappy said:

Not a good idea

Hmm,  I thought so. Can anyone make a custom rig that can?

It would work. But, you don't have enough slots on that charger to fit 2 of the same balance leads.

You need a balance board to charge them properly in parallel. Something like this: https://www.flyingtech.co.uk/accessories/deans-t-plug-parallel-charging-board

However, you will need to double the amp output for two batteries since they are in parallel, otherwise, your charging speed will be the same as just charging one at time. I cannot see any output adjustments from that titan charger. You're better off getting an IMAX B6 which literally charges almost every type of conventional battery out there, and this (link gore) for on-the-go voltage checking.

5 minutes ago, AK47frizzle said:

It would work. But, you don't have enough slots on that charger to fit 2 of the same balance leads.

You need a balance board to charge them properly in parallel. Something like this: https://www.flyingtech.co.uk/accessories/deans-t-plug-parallel-charging-board

However, you will need to double the amp output for two batteries since they are in parallel, otherwise, your charging speed will be the same as just charging one at time. I cannot see any output adjustments from that titan charger. You're better off getting an IMAX B6 which literally charges almost every type of conventional battery out there, and this (link gore) for on-the-go voltage checking.

Ah, I see! thanks

1 hour ago, ImTriggerHappy said:

Actually what you need for multiples is something like this

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/skyrc-q200-quattro-charger/rc-car-products/403983

Lots of people have had issues with puffing batteries and dying chargers trying to use a board.

That looks good!

4 minutes ago, Adolf Hamster said:

how many batteries are you trying to charge? it's not that arduous to do them 1 at a time surely?

About... 100 😬

33 minutes ago, ImTriggerHappy said:

Unless you are setting up the worlds biggest airsoft site that seems excessive. Those batteries are crap by the way.

Good shout, 100 is too much. 

What should I be looking to get? 

Guest Yukarin
18 minutes ago, Seth_Erebor said:

Good shout, 100 is too much. 

What should I be looking to get? 

Im assuming these are for rentals? Why would you put a battery like that in a rental?

If it's for rentals:

Sky RC Quattro, Runs at about £120-150 will do 4 batteries without much fuckery, Will do more with balance boards. Trouble is if it goes kaput then you have £150 replacement costs.

The knock off Imax B6AC, on the other hand, runs at £15. 4 of them is £60. You can almost afford 10 for the price of a single Quattro.

The difference between the 2 is the end-user. For me, the Quattro is the better charger as I charge many batteries that are all dissimilar. And space is a premium in my house.

If you have space to set up a charging station and have those 10 chargers running then the B6AC takes over as the better charger. You don't have the same cost for replacements. And replacements can be held on the shelf for sale and for spare. Added into that you get more than double the charging ability and no drawbacks from capping out ampages over balance boards. The only drawback is you are really going to be wanting to run the charging station on it's own ring-main and RCD. With perhaps beefed up cable as well to cover all bases. 

10 chargers charging at 4 amps is a 40 amp load on a ring-main, Most domestic socket ring mains are not rated for that. Most domestic ring-mains are 32amps.

The number of sockets also becomes a factor to consider. There is a hard cap on the number of sockets allowed on a 32amp ring main. So you may want to speak to a qualified electrician and have them design a station that is both safe and capable of delivering what you need. That is hardwired into the fabric of your building.

It would also be prudent to do this on a steel desk so if any batteries do set on fire you have a surface that can cope with the heat and is not flammable.

As for batteries, I would look at giant power or turnigy. They have a range of 11.1's that charge at up to 5C. 

https://www.componentshop.co.uk/11-1v-1300mah-15c-continuous-discharge-lipo-airsoft-battery-185mm-long.html

The advantage to those is charge time. You say you want 100 batteries. Well that's 100 hours at 1C. With 10 chargers thats 10 hours and 10 charge cycles.

The giant power ones even at 2C will halve that to 5 hours. At 5C they will reduce it 2 hours with a 12 minute charge per battery.

The disadvantage of 5C charging is the Amp load. Each charger is going to be charging at 6.5 amps. That's 65 amps not including power loss over the chargers. So getting the charging station right becomes very important. The Imax B6AC will cap out at 6.0amps so in real terms it'll be closer to a 60 amp total drawn on the mains, And the total charge time will be closer to about 15 minutes so 2.5 hours to get them all charged.

A 63 amp garage breaker box running 2 Ring mains for charging sockets might provide enough overheads to make this work. You would have to speak to an electrician about the legalities of this and how it works in practice.

• Supporters

sure your numbers aren't off? b6ac is a max charge of 50w, even doubling for a 50% effeciency that's 100w which on a 240v input works out as 0.4A

otherwise not a bad plan, guess it depends on how many rental guns he's planning on having, isn't this place meant to be quite small anyway?

Might be the case @Adolf Hamster

It's why he needs to talk to an electrician about it.  He might be safe to run 10 chargers without special provision, but I would never advise that. And certainly not for a business. It's always better in these instances to over exaggerate a lot, and make the poster think about doing this properly rather than just trying stuff out and potentially causing a fire. It's easy to wire in a few sockets, but to do it without consulting an electrician where the public are concerned is a big no-no.

How would you feel leaving your kit next to a charging station of 10+ chargers all done on extensions because someone on the internet said it was safe?

• Supporters

Jesus talk about over thinking it. 

Small site 10 guns max so 3 chargers max.

Also not a residential electric supply as it is a converted industrial unit. No problem plugging in a few chargers even on a household mains but only an idiot would plug multiple quad chargers into an extension lead.

On 31/07/2019 at 18:31, UKCYukarin said:

Im assuming these are for rentals? Why would you put a battery like that in a rental?

Too good for a rental? I prefer to pay once. Do you have an alternative brand that I should consider?

20 hours ago, Iceni said:

If it's for rentals:

Sky RC Quattro, Runs at about £120-150 will do 4 batteries without much fuckery, Will do more with balance boards. Trouble is if it goes kaput then you have £150 replacement costs.

The knock off Imax B6AC, on the other hand, runs at £15. 4 of them is £60. You can almost afford 10 for the price of a single Quattro.

The difference between the 2 is the end-user. For me, the Quattro is the better charger as I charge many batteries that are all dissimilar. And space is a premium in my house.

If you have space to set up a charging station and have those 10 chargers running then the B6AC takes over as the better charger. You don't have the same cost for replacements. And replacements can be held on the shelf for sale and for spare. Added into that you get more than double the charging ability and no drawbacks from capping out ampages over balance boards. The only drawback is you are really going to be wanting to run the charging station on it's own ring-main and RCD. With perhaps beefed up cable as well to cover all bases. 

10 chargers charging at 4 amps is a 40 amp load on a ring-main, Most domestic socket ring mains are not rated for that. Most domestic ring-mains are 32amps.

The number of sockets also becomes a factor to consider. There is a hard cap on the number of sockets allowed on a 32amp ring main. So you may want to speak to a qualified electrician and have them design a station that is both safe and capable of delivering what you need. That is hardwired into the fabric of your building.

It would also be prudent to do this on a steel desk so if any batteries do set on fire you have a surface that can cope with the heat and is not flammable.

As for batteries, I would look at giant power or turnigy. They have a range of 11.1's that charge at up to 5C. 

https://www.componentshop.co.uk/11-1v-1300mah-15c-continuous-discharge-lipo-airsoft-battery-185mm-long.html

The advantage to those is charge time. You say you want 100 batteries. Well that's 100 hours at 1C. With 10 chargers thats 10 hours and 10 charge cycles.

The giant power ones even at 2C will halve that to 5 hours. At 5C they will reduce it 2 hours with a 12 minute charge per battery.

The disadvantage of 5C charging is the Amp load. Each charger is going to be charging at 6.5 amps. That's 65 amps not including power loss over the chargers. So getting the charging station right becomes very important. The Imax B6AC will cap out at 6.0amps so in real terms it'll be closer to a 60 amp total drawn on the mains, And the total charge time will be closer to about 15 minutes so 2.5 hours to get them all charged.

A 63 amp garage breaker box running 2 Ring mains for charging sockets might provide enough overheads to make this work. You would have to speak to an electrician about the legalities of this and how it works in practice.

That is very helpful, I have a mate who is an electrician so I'll pass some of the info over to him. Thanks!

20 hours ago, Adolf Hamster said:

sure your numbers aren't off? b6ac is a max charge of 50w, even doubling for a 50% effeciency that's 100w which on a 240v input works out as 0.4A

otherwise not a bad plan, guess it depends on how many rental guns he's planning on having, isn't this place meant to be quite small anyway?

The Indoor site is a side project. This is for my main one.

19 hours ago, Iceni said:

Might be the case @Adolf Hamster

It's why he needs to talk to an electrician about it.  He might be safe to run 10 chargers without special provision, but I would never advise that. And certainly not for a business. It's always better in these instances to over exaggerate a lot, and make the poster think about doing this properly rather than just trying stuff out and potentially causing a fire. It's easy to wire in a few sockets, but to do it without consulting an electrician where the public are concerned is a big no-no.

How would you feel leaving your kit next to a charging station of 10+ chargers all done on extensions because someone on the internet said it was safe?

The charging is done off-site in an industrial setting, so there should be more leeway in getting the required power/hardware installed. 

18 hours ago, ImTriggerHappy said:

Jesus talk about over thinking it. 

Small site 10 guns max so 3 chargers max.

Also not a residential electric supply as it is a converted industrial unit. No problem plugging in a few chargers even on a household mains but only an idiot would plug multiple quad chargers into an extension lead.

The Black Ops site, yeah 10 will cover it.

Guest Yukarin
1 minute ago, Seth_Erebor said:

Too good for a rental? I prefer to pay once. Do you have an alternative brand that I should consider?

It's more the voltage, even if the gun has a MOSFET doesn't necessarily mean it can handle an 11.1v LiPo. With everything going "faster" there will be excessive wear on the internals, so unless you've uprated the internals of your rental guns you'll end up defeating your "Pay once" ideology by having to replace the stock internals when they shit the bed.

On 01/08/2019 at 21:42, UKCYukarin said:

It's more the voltage, even if the gun has a MOSFET doesn't necessarily mean it can handle an 11.1v LiPo. With everything going "faster" there will be excessive wear on the internals, so unless you've uprated the internals of your rental guns you'll end up defeating your "Pay once" ideology by having to replace the stock internals when they shit the bed.

I'm going to look at the 7.4s then :)

Personally I would look into 9.9v LiFE. Better performance then the 7.4vs, doesn't require a Mosfet for trigger contacts and they are far safer then Lipos if abused. 

• Supporters
23 minutes ago, Asomodai said:

Personally I would look into 9.9v LiFE. Better performance then the 7.4vs, doesn't require a Mosfet for trigger contacts and they are far safer then Lipos if abused. 

Performance is about the same and lipos are plenty safe, only ever seen them go when they have been mishandled. But yeah either or, just make sure they have a 20c+ discharge.

5 minutes ago, ImTriggerHappy said:

Performance is about the same. 

I would have to disagree. The ROF and trigger response difference is pretty noticeable on all of my stuff :)

• Supporters
25 minutes ago, Asomodai said:

I would have to disagree. The ROF and trigger response difference is pretty noticeable on all of my stuff :)

Most LiFe batteries I have tried in the past have discharged poorly. Even those rated at 20c I tried didn't actually give that they averaged 12 to 16c. Where most lipos rated at 20c actually run slightly higher. C rating is just as important as voltage look at the difference between a 9.6v nimh and a 7.4v lipo.

To be fair I haven't tried LiFe for a couple of years so they might have improved.

If any of my guns required more than 7.4v for instant trigger response and at least low 20s rps I would class it as broken and fix it, so higher volt batteries are not really my thing.

3 minutes ago, ImTriggerHappy said:

Most LiFe batteries I have tried in the past have discharged poorly. Even those rated at 20c I tried didn't actually give that they averaged 12 to 16c. Where most lipos rated at 20c actually run slightly higher. C rating is just as important as voltage look at the difference between a 9.6v nimh and a 7.4v lipo.

To be fair I haven't tried LiFe for a couple of years so they might have improved.

If any of my guns required more than 7.4v for instant trigger response and at least low 20s rps I would class it as broken and fix it, so higher volt batteries are not really my thing.

These are mine. 

https://www.componentshop.co.uk/9-9v-1600mah-25c-split-lifepo4-battery-pack.html

My ARX 160 was short stroked by one tooth and it gives me excellent ROF and trigger response on a 7.4 lipo. So I don't doubt you. 

Archived