Sales etiquette

emilianoksa
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Please let me know if I am right about this.

I have an item up for sale and two people have expressed an interest. One replied 6 hours ago, and the other three hours ago. I have been out. Neither have offered to buy yet. The first wanted to know the total price with postage. The second wanted me to phone him.

I have answered the first person, and I am awaiting his reply. He was the first in the queue and so, if he commits he should have it. Am I right?

If he does I should then email the second person telling him that somebody got in before him.

If he doesn't, I should phone the second man. Why he wants me to phone him I don't know. Perhaps he is local and can collect.

Could somebody kindly confirm that I am going about this the right way. It is what I have done on other forums in the past when selling things. This is my first sale on this forum, and I don't want to break the rules.j

I sell to who I’m most comfortable with, never on a first come first served basis. But essentially it’s up to you bud

Whomever pays first. 

It's a transaction. After years of selling expensive musical instruments always go with the money.

I would generally go with first confirmed offer unless I get a bad feeling about someone.

You can also tell the second guy you've had an offer and see if he wants to go higher...

• Supporters

" If posted I would send the magazines separately for security reasons , and at the buyer's risk, "

[Raises quizzical eyebrow]

Other than that, it's a decent value gun, honestly described.  I wouldn't be putting much work into chasing buyers who want to haggle you down on the phone with a sob story.

First to actually send the money, refund anyone else.

If you take the fill valves (or the outlet valves) out, they aren’t pressurised containers, and no reason for them to get seized, just send it PF48 you’ll be golden

I’ve bought and sold about 20 gbbr’s In a little over a year and I’ve never had a single issue. Most have had gas in too from shops

• Supporters
57 minutes ago, emilianoksa said:

Well I would rather somebody collected.

Ideally, but I'd rather post than have some fantasist promise to collect and then not do so.

How much should I refund if the mags go missing?

The price of one mag? 80 quid minus 25?

Wouldn't be able to get a refund from the carrier, would I?

As a buyer, how would you feel about a seller who said "I sent it, not my problem, thanks for your money." ?

ParcelForce 48 say they'll take anything, so you could factor that into the price.

Me, I'd just sling the whole lot out via MyHermes or whomever's cheapest, mark it as "sporting goods" and not worry about it.  I've returned a RIF that way, and can't recall ever receiving RIFs via ParcelForce.  Checking, my GBB pistol and mag was sent to me via Yodel, who just delivered it to a neighbour.  It doesn't seem like they're bothered.

• Supporters

Set the price you want , as long as your happy with the buyer go with the first to contact , BUT you set payment times and dates they don’t meet this stipulation ? Go to the next , they had their chance .

As to the telephoning ? I wouldn’t phone them (any way it’s the buyers responsibility to phone they should be phoning you not you phoning them !) immaterial if there local or not all contact should be via electronic methods so you have ‘hard copies’ of the conversations in case there’s any ‘shenanigans’ from the other side which you’ll have no proof to counteract any fraudulent claims against you if you arrange it over the phone .

Guest DrAlexanderTobacco

I'd ignore anyone who wanted me to pick up the phone and call them straight-off - just type out your offer, or your questions, and I'll answer them. 

• Supporters

yep, fuck phoning anyone, with vcra in its muddled state regarding airsoft better to have a virtual "paper trail" to refer back to should the need arise.

lets not forget it is the school holidays, might be another kid looking for a new way to circumnavigate the law.

On 29/07/2019 at 21:45, emilianoksa said:

Well I would rather somebody collected.

How much should I refund if the mags go missing?

The price of one mag? 80 quid minus 25?

Wouldn't be able to get a refund from the carrier, would I?

If you send through a suitable carrier and service, with the right level of insurance and tracking / delivery confirmation - then if they never arrive you can do get a refund and compensation from the carrier

Archived