Multipurpose AEG mostly for Woodland but some CQB

Raz
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hey guys,

I'm relatively new to airsoft and am looking for a AEG suitable for alot of woodland play with a sprinkling of CQB. I would like a short gun but am concerned that a super short barrel won't provide a good enough effective range for woodland.

Am I worrying about nothing?

I have been looking at the ARP9 and the AUG Commando, the latter being only something like 3cm's longer than the ARP9 but with a much longer inner barrel. I would ideally like to spend around £250 - £300 for a complete setup, meaning 4x midcaps, 2x batteries, gun.

What do you guys think? Are there some other guns that I should consider?

Inner barrel length makes no difference to range. Get whatever length you want.

Just get an MP5 . I use 2 in our local woodland site and never feel out gunned. Both of mine are JG plastic ones and both are ridiculously good.

• Supporters

I’ve got a snow wolf (Jing Gong OEM) Aug commando and believe me it has NO problems at all ‘reaching out and touching’ the opposition ! 😉

I have a ASG Aug Commando which is at home in both woodland and CQB environments. It's a slighty shorter weapon than my MP5 but is has a longer barrel.   The AUG has a two stage trigger, I have heard that some CQB sites don't like people using them as it's quite easy to switch to full auto if you haven't developed a good trigger discapline. Although, it's very easy to shoot on semi auto and you could do a semi auto mod if you really wanted.

I also have an G+G MP5 A4 which again is at home in the woods or when clearing a room.

Both guns look cool. Just feed them decent BB's and set your hop-up right and you will be competive with either platform.

• Supporters
3 hours ago, Asomodai said:

Inner barrel length makes no difference to range. Get whatever length you want.

Well, very short barrels can limit your energy and ultimate range.  But anything from 200mm upwards can spunk out 350fps / 1.13J.

Anecdote: throwing a 250mm 6.02mm barrel into my MP5K bumped it from 310fps (0.9J) up to 360fps (1.2) and it quite rightly got punted off of my local site.

As others have said, don't worry too much about the barrel length. If you're unsure about your potential choice I'd suggest drafting a list of realistic options which fit your personal tastes (think looks/cosmetics) and practical criteria (preferences such as rails, sling points, folding stock etc).

The big thing to remember about the AUG is that it uses a two stage trigger system which a lot of CQB sites won't be keen on and may outright disallow. There are various ways to modify it so that you are able to lock it to semi but whether or not this is something you'd wish to pursue when just starting out would be up to you.

The ARP-9 is definitely a solid CQB choice, I can't comment on their woodland usage. If you're looking at the PDW length guns perhaps the ARP-556 might be a better option (assuming one of the chaps here can clarify their long distance performance), I suggest the 556 simply due to more/better options in relation to magazines.

Again, depending on what look you're after the Specna Arms are apparently good options and I know @Druid799 has had good experiences with his recently purchased Arthurian Airsoft gun.

I'd strongly recommend making a list of requirements for your gun to meet and if possible prioritise them. I'd also make a separate list of any particular models (MP5/M4/AK/SCAR/Sig etc) you like the look of and try rank these too. This may help with your decision making process. I'd also try and look at reviews, especially from reputable sources (some of the members of this forum have produced excellent reviews) and I'd always suggest asking questions if in doubt (do the leg work first though ;) ).

Finally, welcome to the hobby. If you haven't already done so I'd definitely recommend renting first at reputable sites to make sure you enjoy the hobby and I'd also highly recommend obtaining your UKARA.

H&K 416C - look awesome whilst pewing people perfectly.

23 hours ago, FreeFrag.UK said:

The big thing to remember about the AUG is that it uses a two stage trigger system which a lot of CQB sites won't be keen on and may outright disallow. There are various ways to modify it so that you are able to lock it to semi but whether or not this is something you'd wish to pursue when just starting out would be up to you.

The Current Tokyo marui AUG civilian actually has now turned the safety into a fire selector.

• Supporters

if I had to recommend a gun that's got a VERY well proven pedigree, unchanged for many years because it hasn't needed to, solid as a rock yet relatively light, & that will do everything you ask of it, its gonna be a TM G36c, not a recoil or gbb version, just the stock aeg, & most of the other brands are good too.

• Supporters
23 hours ago, BigStew said:

The Current Tokyo marui AUG civilian actually has now turned the safety into a fire selector.

The snow wolf (Jing Gong OEM) AUG I recently bought had its safety already mod’ed to fire semi when I received it .👍

Archived