the gameday that stopped you calling endex.

Druid799
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Supporters

As the title says curious how many of you have been in THAT rut that you were close to saying “f**k it I’ve had enough I’m out of here!” And then a gameday came along and basically saved the sport for you .

mine was about 4 yrs ago , I still wasn’t fully recovered from a motorbike crash (so my mobility was still well down) was slowly coming out of a rather nasty bought of depression (the accident/coming to terms with my future physical limitations/work stress and the ghosts of my past life) and a good 18mths of ‘meh’ gamedays so it all sort of came to that perfect shit storm around Xmas time when out of the blue I get an invite to a private day , it was invite only by the organisers , no “can my friend come” just regular trustworthy players who they personally asked there was to be no marshals that day (most would be playing) just self marshaling by the players . I was very chuffed to be invited but going to say no as I had pretty much decided to knock the game on the head but my best mate (i mete him through airsofting) spoke to my wife and between them decided I was going weather I liked it or not !

Gameday arrives I get bundled in to his car practically kicking and screaming I didn’t want to go (I sat silently in the car all the way like a petulant child!) we arrive at the site , There’s like 23-24 players there ? Youngest is the wrong side of 30 we all know each other either by “hi bud how’s it going ?” Or by name , so no strangers just all friends and acquaintances and we go on to have the best day ever ! I will be honest I don’t remember that much about the gameplay (give it up for pharmaceuticals!) but all I do know is that day stopped me on the crest of the “f**k it I’m out of here” hill , turned me around and sent me back down the hill to keep on playingsville .

One thing I do vividly remember was the smiling faces and laughter in the safezone that day there were so few of us there we were all sat together down one end (its a big safezone split in to two sections) we were two different teams but we were all airsofters having fun together . 

Haven’t had that yet, hopefully won’t come for a while. 

Have left days before or during the last game if I was tired or had that fuck that feeling but not close to stopping all-together yet.

I have spent enough on gear so need to play to get my moneys worth or I wouldn’t forgive myself :D  

Ive had one or two days recently that have made me want to not bother anymore. I'll tell you for why...

Considering we are supposedly a big group of like minded people I don't think I've ever come across a bigger bunch of man babies, back stabbers and out and out arseholes in all my life inside and outside of work included. Now I'm not saying everyone is like that but the last two games I have been to I could have quite easily fucked it all off by lunch and gone home. I don't know whats happened to people but I've noticed a steady decline in the behavior of people recently and cant quite place my finger on what it is. One example... Guy takes off glasses in game area with someone shooting right next to him (I mean fully takes them off and is wiping them, I turn see it and say something along the lines of "mate, put your glasses back on do you want to lose an eye" Marshal is standing next to him doesn't bat an eyelid, glasses guy turns to me and says " what are you my mother, how about you fuck off" alright mate.. potentially lose the eye, doesn't affect my life but will affect yours.

There seems to be an upsurge in snowflakey people making issues out of something so small that doesn't even warrant the reaction its given and again I cant quite figure out why. Go back 3/4 years ago there was still bickering and what have you but nowhere near as much shit flinging as there is now.

Having said that I guess the only real reason I still play and will continue to do so is because of a solid bunch of guys that I get out with fairly often, only issue is we tend to stick to sites we know and know what to expect so I guess we play it safe to an extent so we know we are almost guaranteed a good game day.

• Supporters

i had one about a year after starting, the site i'd started at was a fair hike to get to and the regulars had a penchant for running a little on the warm side, of course i didn't have the experience to realize this.

when i bought my first gun (the f2000) the shop was running a promo for another local site where you got a free gameday, the ticket sat for a good while because going somewhere new was a tad daunting. eventually i thought "fuck it i'll try this place out" and it was an entirely different game, suddenly i wasn't getting horribly outranged and being pinged from close up didn't sting like a bitch and leave marks for over a week.

of course ended up switching pretty much exclusively to that site, and ever since then i've had a dim view of people who push the limits because i can sympathize with the poor inexperienced bugger who would get put off the sport by that kind of thing. reckon it's also where i got my range/accuracy obsession from.

• Supporters
3 hours ago, clumpyedge said:

Ive had one or two days recently that have made me want to not bother anymore. I'll tell you for why...

Considering we are supposedly a big group of like minded people I don't think I've ever come across a bigger bunch of man babies, back stabbers and out and out arseholes in all my life inside and outside of work included. Now I'm not saying everyone is like that but the last two games I have been to I could have quite easily fucked it all off by lunch and gone home. I don't know whats happened to people but I've noticed a steady decline in the behavior of people recently and cant quite place my finger on what it is. One example... Guy takes off glasses in game area with someone shooting right next to him (I mean fully takes them off and is wiping them, I turn see it and say something along the lines of "mate, put your glasses back on do you want to lose an eye" Marshal is standing next to him doesn't bat an eyelid, glasses guy turns to me and says " what are you my mother, how about you fuck off" alright mate.. potentially lose the eye, doesn't affect my life but will affect yours.

There seems to be an upsurge in snowflakey people making issues out of something so small that doesn't even warrant the reaction its given and again I cant quite figure out why. Go back 3/4 years ago there was still bickering and what have you but nowhere near as much shit flinging as there is now.

Having said that I guess the only real reason I still play and will continue to do so is because of a solid bunch of guys that I get out with fairly often, only issue is we tend to stick to sites we know and know what to expect so I guess we play it safe to an extent so we know we are almost guaranteed a good game day.

Unfortunately I know exactly what your on about , your point about the glasses that marshal should be bounced from that position faster than a tennis ball at Wimbledon for allowing the daddy of all safety infringements to happen .

As to the general deterioration in players behavior/attitude/ability to take ANY negativity aimed at them I think this is just society as a whole . In a relatively very short period of time people under a certain age have lost any ability to accept being told anything at all without taking ‘offense’ at what you say to them AND unfortunately this trait is creeping in to the older generations as well .

The team I’m in we basically are the same as yours site wise , stick to the same ones for the same reasons .

21 minutes ago, Druid799 said:

Unfortunately I know exactly what your on about , your point about the glasses that marshal should be bounced from that position faster than a tennis ball at Wimbledon for allowing the daddy of all safety infringements to happen .

As to the general deterioration in players behavior/attitude/ability to take ANY negativity aimed at them I think this is just society as a whole . In a relatively very short period of time people under a certain age have lost any ability to accept being told anything at all without taking ‘offense’ at what you say to them AND unfortunately this trait is creeping in to the older generations as well .

The team I’m in we basically are the same as yours site wise , stick to the same ones for the same reasons .

What made me laugh, when I questioned the marshal on it he said he didn't see it and did nothing to quell the situation and just laughed it off. The guy needed bringing down a peg but alas I guess some people just don't have the gusto to be out spoken like I am. I suppose working as a marshal makes it difficult to not say something when you see something you know is inherently wrong.

Fully agree with you that people don't seem to have as thicker skin as they used to. It surprises me sometimes the age range of people who moan the most about stuff but then again some is also justifiable. It is a bit lame that people cant just stick what is for the most part simple instructions and rules and not get bent out of shape when things don't go their way but that happens in all walks of life and not just airsoft.

21 minutes ago, clumpyedge said:

What made me laugh, when I questioned the marshal on it he said he didn't see it and did nothing to quell the situation and just laughed it off. The guy needed bringing down a peg but alas I guess some people just don't have the gusto to be out spoken like I am. I suppose working as a marshal makes it difficult to not say something when you see something you know is inherently wrong.

Fully agree with you that people don't seem to have as thicker skin as they used to. It surprises me sometimes the age range of people who moan the most about stuff but then again some is also justifiable. It is a bit lame that people cant just stick what is for the most part simple instructions and rules and not get bent out of shape when things don't go their way but that happens in all walks of life and not just airsoft.

The biggest shit fit I ever saw at a game was actually a guy late 40s early 50s, one of the grouchy regulars at that site, shouting and swearing at my mate for pegging him in the head from about 10 15 metres. I mean he was completely bald and clean shaven but nothing stopping him wearing a hat or some face protection

• Supporters

The worst thing about airsofting is all the airsofters moaning about airsofting. :P

I generally have a good day, and all it takes is for people to simply play airsoft.

When someone does kick off, I recommend just laughing it off and walking away.  You can't fix stupid.  If it helps, just picture them like...

tenor.gif?itemid=7359311

1 hour ago, PopRocket123 said:

The biggest shit fit I ever saw at a game was actually a guy late 40s early 50s, one of the grouchy regulars at that site, shouting and swearing at my mate for pegging him in the head from about 10 15 metres. I mean he was completely bald and clean shaven but nothing stopping him wearing a hat or some face protection

I'm clean shaven and taken more than my fair share of hits to the head. It's all part of the game. Shit happens. It's my choice not to wear a hat or whatever on any given day so I accept im going to get at least one or two to the noggen! I lost a tooth a few years back from a totally avoidable situation both on my part and the guy that shot it out, few swear words were muttered specially as the guy laughed about it and gloated to his mates about it within earshot.

I haven't had a specific game as such...

When I started I only really went with my mate who got me into it but he was and still is at uni so he never had/has as much time on the weekends as I previously did so I'd want to go at least twice a month whereas he managed to go once a month if he was lucky.

Once I'd got my own kit I started going occasionally on my own, before I really knew anyone at the site too so I just kept to myself a bit, and that really took some of the fun out of it. I definitely wasn't as keen on going for a bit either.

But, since getting a bit more involved on here and within the Instagram community as well as finding a few more of my old school mates who go too I've got a relatively close knit group so there's always at least one or two people who I can rally together on any given weekend and that definitely makes the games a whole lot more enjoyable.

Plus, after regular-ing the same site you tend to become acquainted with some other regulars so you're never short of people to chat to in the safe zone or on the walk back to respawn!

• Supporters

Well done Druid for coming up with a thread that for some is pretty personal, & thank you for sharing your experiences, not always easy when "in the company" of us rufty tufty manly toy soldiers.

ive been there, been fighting severe depression for 20 years (last year I was diagnosed with cumulative ptsd) & bout 6-7 years ago I was in a major slump, marriage was on the rocks & had literally given up, not just airsoft but life itself, it was a very dark time for me & it was only going one way 👎🏻.

i was part of a team, the sea devils, great very mixed bunch of guys & we'd try to play once or twice a month, & meet up for "team meetings" at various pubs every month to plan the next months gaming etc, good times.

anyway, I dropped out of it all, shut meself away & essentially lost the plot, including getting committed, not good ☹️.

my teammates came to my aid, arranging a private game with our our sister team, wraith alpha, & insisting I be there, even chucking me in the back of a motor, the other team putting us up at their homes in Bristol, played the game day at the old courthouse in the centre of Bristol, & it was a great day, & then that night we hit the town, plentiful amounts of cider & prob the best curry I've ever had.

that weekend literally pulled me back from the edge, not just good gaming but supportive friends when I needed them most.

the Sea Devils eventually folded, shame but pressures of life & other hobbies meant we didn't get out as much, & im prob the only member still playing.

for me airsoft is very therapeutic, it's a semi aggressive outlet but without posing too much of a risk to others (I'm a former squaddie, boxer, county rugby player & ice hockey player), so having a physical outlet has always been a part of life for me.

• Supporters
8 hours ago, Tackle said:

Well done Druid for coming up with a thread that for some is pretty personal, & thank you for sharing your experiences, not always easy when "in the company" of us rufty tufty manly toy soldiers.

ive been there, been fighting severe depression for 20 years (last year I was diagnosed with cumulative ptsd) & bout 6-7 years ago I was in a major slump, marriage was on the rocks & had literally given up, not just airsoft but life itself, it was a very dark time for me & it was only going one way 👎🏻.

i was part of a team, the sea devils, great very mixed bunch of guys & we'd try to play once or twice a month, & meet up for "team meetings" at various pubs every month to plan the next months gaming etc, good times.

anyway, I dropped out of it all, shut meself away & essentially lost the plot, including getting committed, not good ☹️.

my teammates came to my aid, arranging a private game with our our sister team, wraith alpha, & insisting I be there, even chucking me in the back of a motor, the other team putting us up at their homes in Bristol, played the game day at the old courthouse in the centre of Bristol, & it was a great day, & then that night we hit the town, plentiful amounts of cider & prob the best curry I've ever had.

that weekend literally pulled me back from the edge, not just good gaming but supportive friends when I needed them most.

the Sea Devils eventually folded, shame but pressures of life & other hobbies meant we didn't get out as much, & im prob the only member still playing.

for me airsoft is very therapeutic, it's a semi aggressive outlet but without posing too much of a risk to others (I'm a former squaddie, boxer, county rugby player & ice hockey player), so having a physical outlet has always been a part of life for me.

Even rufty tufty men have a heart , it may be small , black , withered like a dried out old hags minge and hidden away in dark hole , but it’s still a heart (I think?) yup definitely a heart ! 😁

• Supporters
On ‎24‎/‎07‎/‎2019 at 22:24, Druid799 said:

Even rufty tufty men have a small , black , withered dried out old hags minge hole 😁

Speak for yourself 😜

Archived