What a scorcher!

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Christ on a bike it's hot today.

Played a woodland game on Sunday and I was sweating just hanging around the safezone.

Take care people and if you are planning any pew pewing in this weather remember to hydrate, hydrate, hydrate.

That water bottle medic is sounding pretty good about now.

• Supporters

It’s hotter than the devils ball sack out here right now. A great day to choose to hold a classic car show on the middle of Harpenden common. 

• Supporters

I only got one game in last summer, but I did get to watch 2 blokes in all black gear and PCs literally collapse in the safe zone shortly before lunch break.  Far as I could see/gather they'd not had so much as a sip of water the whole day.  Whether they'd been drinking coffee or Monster and thinking that would do the job I don't know, pretty common airsoft mistake, yet the most easily avoidable of them all.

I don't know why but over loading on kit in the summer/not packing a decent jacket in the winter and not drinking water seem to be the 2 biggest issues a lot of players cannot get their heads around and they end up missing out on game time they've paid for as a result.  I'm pretty sure the same things happen with people going walking up hills and in just about every other outdoor hobby though so it's not just airsoft.

1 hour ago, TheFull9 said:

I only got one game in last summer, but I did get to watch 2 blokes in all black gear and PCs literally collapse in the safe zone shortly before lunch break.  Far as I could see/gather they'd not had so much as a sip of water the whole day.  Whether they'd been drinking coffee or Monster and thinking that would do the job I don't know, pretty common airsoft mistake, yet the most easily avoidable of them all.

I don't know why but over loading on kit in the summer/not packing a decent jacket in the winter and not drinking water seem to be the 2 biggest issues a lot of players cannot get their heads around and they end up missing out on game time they've paid for as a result.  I'm pretty sure the same things happen with people going walking up hills and in just about every other outdoor hobby though so it's not just airsoft.

I still don't get the PC thing in airsoft. The only reason to wear a PC in the first place is to reduce the chance of dying on the battlefield.

• Supporters
3 minutes ago, CrackCommandoUnit1972 said:

I still don't get the PC thing in airsoft. The only reason to wear a PC in the first place is to reduce the chance of dying on the battlefield.

Again, not having a dig here, but a done-to-death topic.  Great thing is you don't have to get it and you don't have to wear one if you don't want, unlike in the military.

I own a few PCs, chest rigs and webbing-style belt rigs and they all do a good job of just carrying mags, water and other little bits of kit.  Despite what people will rant and rave about on the internet, there isn't that much of a difference as far as a days' skirmishing goes so just use what you like the look of/feels comfortable.  What someone else wears will not make you sweat any more or less or impact your bank balance.

It might seem like a silly question but has anyone tried a camal back with ice water in it? I don't own one ( I've never needed one) but even if you don't drink from it will it help to lower your body temperature a bit. Or are you just lugging the extra weight for nothing and maybe a cold drink on the way back to the safe zone. I'm used to skirmishing so its about 20 mins or so between sit downs.

18 hours ago, TheFull9 said:

Again, not having a dig here, but a done-to-death topic.  Great thing is you don't have to get it and you don't have to wear one if you don't want, unlike in the military.

I own a few PCs, chest rigs and webbing-style belt rigs and they all do a good job of just carrying mags, water and other little bits of kit.  Despite what people will rant and rave about on the internet, there isn't that much of a difference as far as a days' skirmishing goes so just use what you like the look of/feels comfortable.  What someone else wears will not make you sweat any more or less or impact your bank balance.

also, plate carriers are great for running those AWESOME TRAINING PLATES too 😉😂 (referring to the topic at hand for anyone who doesn't get the reference - not advisable running them if you trying to stay cool, this is just a joke)

17 hours ago, Nicky blue eyes said:

It might seem like a silly question but has anyone tried a camal back with ice water in it? I don't own one ( I've never needed one) but even if you don't drink from it will it help to lower your body temperature a bit. Or are you just lugging the extra weight for nothing and maybe a cold drink on the way back to the safe zone. I'm used to skirmishing so its about 20 mins or so between sit downs.

I have a camelbak but to be honest, for quick games it is like you say, just lugging additional weight for little benefit.

For what it's worth, unless you are someone who tends to take on large amounts of water in short periods of time, you may as well just carry a 500ml water bottle and get a little pouch for it or stick it in a pocket.

47 minutes ago, BibbsOnTour said:

have a camelbak but to be honest, for quick games it is like you say, just lugging additional weight for little benefit.

For what it's worth, unless you are someone who tends to take on large amounts of water in short periods of time, you may as well just carry a 500ml water bottle and get a little pouch for it or stick it in a

Well it was worth a thought👍

1 minute ago, Nicky blue eyes said:

Well it was worth a thought👍

Despite what I said above I still use mine when i run my PC because 1) I drink A LOT of water so I'd be carrying the weight either way 2) it's easier/quicker to pop the cap off it and take a few gulps than it is to get a water bottle out and undo cap etc in gloves and most importantly 3) because I paid good money for it!!

It's purely down to personal preference at the end of the day...

You know I actually heard a seasoned marshal once give advice to a new player looking to get into longer games... the new player asked about hydration packs etc and the marshal told him dont bother, it's loads more weight to carry, if you drink more you only sweat / need to pee more. I was like WTAF, that is how all warm bodied animals stay hydrated and keep cool! Serious knobber.

• Supporters
8 minutes ago, Davegolf said:

You know I actually heard a seasoned marshal once give advice to a new player looking to get into longer games... the new player asked about hydration packs etc and the marshal told him dont bother, it's loads more weight to carry, if you drink more you only sweat / need to pee more. I was like WTAF, that is how all warm bodied animals stay hydrated and keep cool! Serious knobber.

hmm, someone should tell the military about this insight, save them a bloody fortune in water bottles!

i used to use a camelback, more recently i've switched to a bottle because it suits my russian loadout better, i normally carry another bottle in my gun bag although the sites i go to at least have it on tap.

remember it's not just you who might need water, on a hot day "have you any water" is not a question you should be answering no to.

• Head Moderator
On ‎24‎/‎07‎/‎2019 at 20:24, jcheeseright said:

If you want to keep yourself properly cold though have a look at iceplate;

https://airsoftimports.co.uk/products/qore-performance-closed-iceplate-cooling-only?variant=13338312999030

A good idea. 

However, for those too cheap to buy one, they can freeze a couple of hot water bottles ;) 

Personally I have found that freezing 2L bottles of water is a great way to keep cool and it provides ice cold water as it defrosts throughout the day. It's cheap and as long as you keep it in the shade it will keep you lovely and cold all day

11 hours ago, Solly4568 said:

Personally I have found that freezing 2L bottles of water is a great way to keep cool and it provides ice cold water as it defrosts throughout the day. It's cheap and as long as you keep it in the shade it will keep you lovely and cold all day

And if you boil the water before you freeze it when it defrosts you have instant hot water for tea :D  

• Supporters
31 minutes ago, Albiscuit said:

And if you boil the water before you freeze it when it defrosts you have instant hot water for tea :D  

Yeah but its not so good for keeping you cool sadly

Not so much keeping you cool but getting you properly re-hydrated is somthing called dioralyte. Its actually used to replace the salts and things in your body if you get the squits. Nice. A friend swears by them after he goes running. I must say the taste a bit funky mind you. But if they can help a large, sweaty mess like me I'll give them a go.

• Supporters
18 hours ago, Nicky blue eyes said:

if you get the squits. Nice. A friend swears by them after he goes running

When you say "running" ... ?

Archived