SE Tour Review: Erebor: Black Ops (Surrey) (Closed)

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Supporters
4 minutes ago, Asomodai said:

Come on guys. I dont particularly agree with the way Seth has presented himself on the forum in the past. But then again how many of you have acquired a site to run for airsoft use? Its a big undertaking and should be applauded.

All this simmering sexual tension towards Seth doesn't particularly fit in with the narrative of a review thread, let's stick that general theme eh? 

TLDR: Site is good, needs to be well run to be a success, let's see what happens. 

Oh behave no one is wishing him ill and I think everbody hopes he makes it work as one more site especially a cqb one in the south is a good thing.

But to be fair right up until now he has come across as airsofts own Rainman so some ribbing is only to be expected. The bit that makes me laugh is until now everybody me included has given him shit but now it is going all "Well done Seth can't wait to play at your site" the level of honest integrity makes me chuckle.

I will say this all other random bollocks he has spewed aside well done for finding somewhere now prove you can actually make it work and you will get some respect back, and I hope you can.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, ImTriggerHappy said:

Oh behave no one is wishing him ill and I think everbody hopes he makes it work as one more site especially a cqb one in the south is a good thing.

But to be fair right up until now he has come across as airsofts own Rainman so some ribbing is only to be expected. The bit that makes me laugh is until now everybody me included has given him shit but now it is going all "Well done Seth can't wait to play at your site" the level of honest integrity makes me chuckle.

I will say this all other random bollocks he has spewed aside well done for finding somewhere now prove you can actually make it work and you will get some respect back, and I hope you can.

I have done nothing but behave :P

17 minutes ago, DrAlexanderTobacco said:

As I said earlier it's not like I didn't slate him just as you or others did - but, come on - you've got to admit that the self-styled AFUK dreamer has actually managed to kinda move forward on his dreams a little - I def feel a little bad about trying to shoot him down despite him clearly putting quite a bit of work into finding an interesting location etc.

I remember reading an article yonks ago, which came to mind when I heard of the good news re: Pilgrims - Jony Ives from Apple talking about how trying to work in a creative environment in the UK can be quite shite owing to how the default approach from people is to pick holes in someone's idea, shoot it down, tell them it'll never work. It's good to an extent because finding issues can improve the outcome, but not to that degree. Conversely in the US people just tend to be more supportive - will paste the article here once I've found it.

Anyway yeah to sum up - I read that article, agreed with it, then years later did the very thing I disagreed with - sorry Seth!

I've had that experience for a long time, so maybe it is a UK thing, either way I'm used to it. I feel that it's the main thing holding us back from having our own Silicon Valley, they take dreaming to another level.

As for my larger plans, still don't have much to show, progress has been down right bleeding painful. 

19 minutes ago, Keldon said:

Sounds like a nice little place you got into @Seth_Erebor will be keeping an eye out for the next game day as also only an hour away

I'll let you know. Thanks

13 minutes ago, ImTriggerHappy said:

I am now waiting to see how many people who gave him shit start trying to be all matey now.

Now Seth is potentially a site owner the sycophants will come out in force. Airsoft groupies who would of thought they would be a thing?

It was never without reason tbf, but perhaps this a chance to wipe the slate clean. Now things are more transparent.

3 minutes ago, Asomodai said:

Come on guys. I dont particularly agree with the way Seth has presented himself on the forum in the past. But then again how many of you have acquired a site to run for airsoft use? Its a big undertaking and should be applauded.

All this simmering sexual tension towards Seth doesn't particularly fit in with the narrative of a review thread, let's stick that general theme eh? 

TLDR: Site is good, needs to be well run to be a success, let's see what happens. 

That's my bad.

Sexual tension? haha! Guys, I'm taken and I don't think she'll want to share.

It'll be a group effort to find our rhythm, but I have a pretty good idea of the direction. 

23 minutes ago, ImTriggerHappy said:

I'll watch Rainman this weekend,  I'm nothing like Tom Cruise but if you say so. ;) 

It'll work in and of itself, with or without me really.

Where I see the junction of success/failure is developing it into a top 3 indoor site that it known around the UK.

• Supporters
19 minutes ago, Seth_Erebor said:

I've had that experience for a long time, so maybe it is a UK thing, either way I'm used to it. I feel that it's the main thing holding us back from having our own Silicon Valley, they take dreaming to another level.

As for my larger plans, still don't have much to show, progress has been down right bleeding painful. 

I'll let you know. Thanks

It was never without reason tbf, but perhaps this a chance to wipe the slate clean. Now things are more transparent.

That's my bad.

Sexual tension? haha! Guys, I'm taken and I don't think she'll want to share.

It'll be a group effort to find our rhythm, but I have a pretty good idea of the direction. 

I'll watch Rainman this weekend,  I'm nothing like Tom Cruise but if you say so. ;) 

It'll work in and of itself, with or without me really.

Where I see the junction of success/failure is developing it into a top 3 indoor site that it known around the UK.

If you want a really good cqb site you need bigger. The mall worked because it was huge and a 100 people at a time could play there.

That and the fact the marshaling was top notch.

Wrong character but if you can count cards like Dustin Hoffmann even I might find a way to put up with you.

4 minutes ago, ImTriggerHappy said:

If you want a really good cqb site you need bigger. The mall worked because it was huge and a 100 people at a time could play there.

That and the fact the marshaling was top notch.

Yeah, I'm looking to be a niche top quality experience as that avoids the "how many players can we squeeze in" conversation.  

Wrong character but if you can count cards like Dustin Hoffmann even I might find a way to put up with you.

I know lol, I was being cheeky

Just now, GeorgePlaysAirsoft said:

Trigger if it makes you feel better for not getting an invite you would of hated it - literally everyone there was an airsofter!!! 😯

Thanks, George. I just choked on my crisps!

• Supporters
17 minutes ago, GeorgePlaysAirsoft said:

Trigger if it makes you feel better for not getting an invite you would of hated it - literally everyone there was an airsofter!!! 😯

Lol trust me wasn't after one and certainly couldn't of gone on a days notice as I have a life (when the wife lets me)

I have learnt over the years to cope with airsofters, generally through gritted teeth. But occasionally it's worth it because a few are special in a good way, just that a lot are special in a speshal way.

• Supporters
1 hour ago, Seth_Erebor said:

Yeah, I'm looking to be a niche top quality experience as that avoids the "how many players can we squeeze in" conversation.  

Top quality experience sounds good but remember niche generally gets old quick. Fun will keep people coming back. The reason I say about size and amount of players is it always makes the day varied which is important because you need regulars and regulars need the site not to become stale.

31 minutes ago, ImTriggerHappy said:

Top quality experience sounds good but remember niche generally gets old quick. Fun will keep people coming back. The reason I say about size and amount of players is always makes the day varied which is important because you need regulars and regulars need the site not to become stale.

Making the composite elements mobile/semi-mobile will aid making sure it feels fresh week to week, if not game to game.

3 minutes ago, EDcase said:

Number of players is a delicate balance with any game area.

Will take a few tries to find the optimum number for the site.

20 Max, then we'll play around from there.

• Supporters
2 minutes ago, Seth_Erebor said:

Making the composite elements mobile/semi-mobile will aid making sure it feels fresh week to week, if not game to game.

Small sites are more difficult than that as the layout will be learned quick and you can only move around so much.

Most airsofters just want to shoot each other objectives generally come second.

Even if I came to meet up for a game?

Got you all to myself, TriggerHappy :)

2 minutes ago, ImTriggerHappy said:

How about if I book the whole site and I run a private game. No Seth just me running it?

I'd be happy with that. I don't think I've been out in about 4 months so I'm still waiting for Zed News 😛

• Supporters
1 minute ago, Robert James said:

I'd be happy with that. I don't think I've been out in about 4 months so I'm still waiting for Zed News 😛

After taking a break for 6 months the itch is coming back. Also my knee and foot have healed up and they have slowed me down the last couple of years so feel the need to blow off the cobwebs and really go for it.

So looking for some venues to do private games so will obviously let you and some others on here know.

36 minutes ago, ImTriggerHappy said:

How about if I book the whole site and I run a private game. No Seth just me running it?

Happy to introduce you :)

The site isn't quite ready yet and I can't guarantee there will be private games.

I don't mean to sound rude and nothing is set in stone so far be it from me to say something is the case when it is isn't but exclusivity is a clause on us (the site and I) working together.

Like I said, happy to introduce you or arrange a day for you but post-August might be different situation. Or it may not. I'm hardly going to put in a whole load of work for it not to pay itself off. 

Hope you can see where I'm coming from. It won't mean people can't play there outside of set days or that they'll be paying more.

There is just a line between two operators on a site and private days.

• Supporters
16 minutes ago, Seth_Erebor said:

Happy to introduce you :)

The site isn't quite ready yet and I can't guarantee there will be private games.

I don't mean to sound rude and nothing is set in stone so far be it from me to say something is the case when it is isn't but exclusivity is a clause on us (the site and I) working together.

Like I said, happy to introduce you or arrange a day for you but post-August might be different situation. Or it may not. I'm hardly going to put in a whole load of work for it not to pay itself off. 

Hope you can see where I'm coming from. It won't mean people can't play there outside of set days or that they'll be paying more.

There is just a line between two operators on a site and private days.

Thanks for the offer but I think contacting the site owners direct might be better for me. 

The line is who pays generally and unless you own the site or hire it 24/7 then I am sure the owners will be more interested in the cash than anything else. I mean are you looking at 2 to 3 games a weekend and all weeknights because if not and it is a multipurpose site then surely who and when is the owners choice.

1 minute ago, ImTriggerHappy said:

Thanks for the offer but I think contacting the site owners direct might be better for me. 

The line is who pays generally and unless you own the site or hire it 24/7 then I am sure the owners will be more interested in the cash than anything else. I mean are you looking at 2 to 3 games a weekend and all weeknights because if not and it is a multipurpose site then surely who and when is the owners choice.

There’s are a few options on the table, really can’t say which way it will go. 

They are very friendly and accommodating. ☺️

• Supporters
7 minutes ago, Seth_Erebor said:

There’s are a few options on the table, really can’t say which way it will go. 

They are very friendly and accommodating. ☺️

Don't worry not trying to steal your site just has potential for the occasional private game if airsoft is allowed. 

• Supporters

See I’m with @Robert James on this. 

Kudos @Seth_Erebor for actually doing what you set out to do, but I think you’ve already damaged your reputation.

You spent so long in a cloud of vague ideas that people generally lost interest and see you as a dreamer. Got to admit, I’m still in that camp, and even though I can see you are actually doing something, I think the damage is already done. 

Also so as soon as something goes wrong(in business it always does), the first thing that will happen is all that old BS will be dragged back up and the I told you so brigade will be out in force.

Personally, I think you came out with your ideas too early, if you had started what you did about 6 weeks ago and then did this game day as you have, I think it would have boosted your rep.

But because you spent months talking, what seemed like bollocks, people have either lost interest, or trust in what you say and do. And I think you’ll have your work cut out trying to get that back.

Good luck with what every is in your pipeline, and I’ll possible try to give it a go, but I’m still wary of anything associated with you for now.

Archived