SE Tour Review: Erebor: Black Ops (Surrey) (Closed)

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

On 27/09/2019 at 01:41, Robert James said:

And I'm back to never going.

There's a lot of hate on here for what is a great site. I think it would be speak for itself regardless of who was running the day (although as I said above I really can't fault the way it was run in any material way).

Don't knock it til you've tried it! You're only potentially missing out on fun!

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, bog_god said:

There's a lot of hate on here for what is a great site. I think it would be speak for itself regardless of who was running the day (although as I said above I really can't fault the way it was run in any material way).

Don't knock it til you've tried it! You're only potentially missing out on fun!

It's not hate on the site, it's a dislike for Seth. Site might be good but it's far away, it's only 20~ players. I might as well go Hockley 

2 hours ago, Robert James said:

Site might be good but it's far away, it's only 20~ players

Fair enough, if you like big teams it's not for you, and distance is always a bugger! I quite like it small (feel I can have more of an impact), so suits me. Each to their own!

1 hour ago, bog_god said:

Fair enough, if you like big teams it's not for you, and distance is always a bugger! I quite like it small (feel I can have more of an impact), so suits me. Each to their own!

Not overly big, as sometimes it feels like you can't get anywhere, but 10 to a team is ridiculously small. As you said each to their own. 

Guest DrAlexanderTobacco

Interesting, sounds like Pilgrims would be wrapping up the site entirely? You'd think getting that sweet sweet MOD/Met money from proper CTSFO training could support a warehouse like that. I have no clue how much rent/etc would be to run something like that though. Good try in any case!

4 minutes ago, DrAlexanderTobacco said:

Interesting, sounds like Pilgrims would be wrapping up the site entirely? You'd think getting that sweet sweet MOD/Met money from proper CTSFO training could support a warehouse like that. I have no clue how much rent/etc would be to run something like that though. Good try in any case!

That is how I am reading it. 

17 minutes ago, Robert James said:

So this has pretty much already closed after being open a month? 

I believe that it will continue to stay open until either January or April depending. 

It really highlights how difficult it can be to keep a new site open. 

3 hours ago, DrAlexanderTobacco said:

Interesting, sounds like Pilgrims would be wrapping up the site entirely?

Sounds that way - I wonder if 2+ airsoft games a week would make a difference. I would have thought it wouldn't be too difficult to find 10-20 players on a weeknight for a site that close to the Underground. I'd be interested to hear what @Seth_Erebor thinks the airsoft games would have to bring in to keep the site open - how much more would players be paying? It sounds to me like a much bigger issue than that, but who knows?

It seems crazy to shut down a facility like that when it's only just been built and clearly serious money has been spent on it. Maybe they'll be able to put the buildings into a new warehouse... Anyone got a warehouse going spare?

• Supporters
24 minutes ago, PureSilver said:

Sounds that way - I wonder if 2+ airsoft games a week would make a difference. I would have thought it wouldn't be too difficult to find 10-20 players on a weeknight for a site that close to the Underground. I'd be interested to hear what @Seth_Erebor thinks the airsoft games would have to bring in to keep the site open - how much more would players be paying? It sounds to me like a much bigger issue than that, but who knows?

It seems crazy to shut down a facility like that when it's only just been built and clearly serious money has been spent on it. Maybe they'll be able to put the buildings into a new warehouse... Anyone got a warehouse going spare?

There is a reason indoor airsoft sites in the south are derelict buildings. A good high bay warehouse is £12+ a sqft and that site is 17000 sqft or so I was told. That estimate of cost is the very low end as well.

The lease on anything near London is going to be very high and way out of the reach of airsoft financial returns. 

Pilgrim has actually been open for years and despite what might be expected has actually not really seen a lot of use by either MOD or HO due to the fact that those who would most benefit the type of environment at pilgrim already have their own facilities for training .

Airsoft has only recently started at the site due to the academy needing more revenue streams with the wind down of activities it was designed for .

Hopefully plans are in place to see increased usage of the site so that airsoft among other activities can continue there but we shall see 

Surely the people behind Pilgrim knew what was already available to MOD etc for training...It just seems a massive outlay for something that I can't work out who it is actually aimed at.

What were the activities it was designed for?

12 minutes ago, hitmanNo2 said:

Surely the people behind Pilgrim knew what was already available to MOD etc for training...It just seems a massive outlay for something that I can't work out who it is actually aimed at.

What were the activities it was designed for?

hostile environment training for the security industry mainly 

I see.  I was trying to think of something of a somewhat temporary nature.  Surely that industry would require ongoing training?  Either new recruits or continued professional development/top up training?

I waiting for a definitive resolution atm, I couldn’t even guess what direction this will all go with so many factors at play. 

Like many have said, it’s been a blast whatever happens. 

Ah ffs... 

My CQB hopes now lie with the schools in Kent that we are waiting to open!!

Update: "happy to proceed with arranging events over the next 2-3 months"

It's good but it's not confirmed dates. We'll put out a facebook post when it's all sorted.

On 01/10/2019 at 20:12, Seth_Erebor said:

Update: "happy to proceed with arranging events over the next 2-3 months"

It's good but it's not confirmed dates. We'll put out a facebook post when it's all sorted.

Can you drop me a pm when you know please?

i don’t bookface, sorry!

• 4 weeks later...
  • Supporters
22 minutes ago, Davegolf said:

Apparently where? Shame if so 😩

From what I know the company that lease it need a big income to keep the site open. Airsoft is nowhere near close to the right figures and would never have been a viable option. Seth did his normal trick and fed them a line about the potential of what the income was and what he could do, once they realised the truth of the situation the rest was inevitable. 

The couple of guys who helped organise the two actual game days have backed off. Seth was talking about investors and options but whether there is any truth or just more pipe dreams who knows. He kind of had the right intentions I think but went about everything wrong.

That was the last I heard and if there has been any further movement it has been kept quiet. But it didn't look good.

Archived