SE Tour Review: Erebor: Black Ops (Surrey) (Closed)

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

oh okay sweet, Should be a good day. site is so sick.

Always good when nobody drops out

On 13/08/2019 at 16:37, Seth_Erebor said:

20, yes. 

I've added quite a few dates for next month, they should all be pretty open... for now.

If you have a date in mind I can reserve a batch of tickets locked to a unique code for you and you team.

How about private game days?

5 hours ago, The captain said:

@Yetiwatch@NoobyNico yeah it was a great day. will be booking my ticket for the 14th very soon.

Yeti was the Yeti of a man with Seths SCAR and a ginger beard 😍

ahhhh yeah that makes sense now haha, and you were the guy in all black and the fluffy hair right?

• Supporters

This is for all those who played there on the test day and the 17th. 

On the 14th there is going to some real marshalling occurring and we would like feedback from those who played. What games worked what didn't and any games you would like to try?

Feedback from the players is important as players make a site and if the players don't enjoy then it never works.

Not interested in the layout and cover side of things as those will be looked at properly on the 14th and anybody playing that day will be asked for input then. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 23/08/2019 at 17:23, ImTriggerHappy said:

This is for all those who played there on the test day and the 17th. 

On the 14th there is going to some real marshalling occurring and we would like feedback from those who played. What games worked what didn't and any games you would like to try?

Feedback from the players is important as players make a site and if the players don't enjoy then it never works.

Not interested in the layout and cover side of things as those will be looked at properly on the 14th and anybody playing that day will be asked for input then. 

Unfortunately, Trigger is no longer associated with Erebor or the Black Ops site. 

• 2 weeks later...

Myself and a few of the boys are going down this Saturday. Sign up as there are very few spaces left! Would be good to see what its like marshalled! Will then update the review. 

I’ve only really lurked this forum, but since this is where the review thread is: I played today and have nothing but praise for everyone involved. The site is spectacular, Seth and his team were flawlessly professional, and the games ran like clockwork.

It’s one of the best CQB sites I’ve ever played. The buildings are complex and closely-set with interesting angles, the lighting can be varied between more than just seared retinas or pitch black, and (unlike Blitz, which is the closest analogue I’ve played) it’s big enough not to feel like you’re trapped in a dollhouse. The inessential but really nice creature comforts - parking (right outside), a good site shop, hot water for tea/coffee, tables and chairs in the safe zone, a safe zone that isn’t a two-hour hike from the play zone, decent toilets - are all present and in brand-new condition, rather than the crumbling shitholes most CQB sites seem to be.

The marshalling - despite the rather insulting fear-mongering in this thread - was as close to perfect as I’ve ever seen. The team were so thorough and reassuring that, even in the did-I-hit-that-person-why-isn’t-he-calling-it confusion inherent to playing CQB in low light, everyone seemed to get along just fine. Incredibly, I didn’t even hear any bitching in the safe zone.

The number of players was well-judged (I think 20ish is optimal, 25 maximum before it starts getting crowded), and everyone seemed to be enthusiastically hurling themselves at the objectives rather than stacking up at choke points or chatting in the safe zone. Helping that were the game modes, which while not exactly revolutionary were more than just shooting everything that moved, and kept people in play almost all the time without making the games run until they’d outstayed their welcome.

The only recommendations I’d make would be;

1. To try to improve the connectivity between the upper floors of some of the buildings, so players can circumvent the choke points which sometimes formed on one road corner. There wasn’t much of that (people were aggressively pushing all day, and the marshals acted quickly to rebalance areas that were in danger of stagnating), but why waste the potential of the intricate buildings?

2. To keep the number of players in check. One of the biggest pitfalls at Blitz was how insanely crowded it felt; Erebor ran perfectly with the ~22 players today. I’d much rather pay a bit more to play a good site than a bit less to share with too many other players.

I was extremely impressed, wholeheartedly recommend the site, and won’t hesitate to go back.

• Mostly Retired Moderators

For any of the (many) AFUK ex-Mall players - I've realised that Josh and Haydn from The Mall are helping to run Erebor.

That alone is enough to peak my interest @Seth_Erebor, and you've done well to choose them. Top blokes, great marshals and wicked players. And if they have a small sprinkling of Mall Magic it'll be great!

I'll be looking to come down soon now :)

It has to be said, the site looks incredible fun to play in:

I was there too yesterday and can echo Puresilver's comments.  Really great site.  Ample parking, actual ceramic toilets, excellent safe zone etc.  Pretty opulent for an airsoft site heh.

I think the stairs that come down after you've taken the farthest right door in the brief/chrono area needs some type of cover just outside as you just get nailed as soon as you come out onto the street.  I don't know if that's possible as I only went down there once but maybe something to think about.  Maybe one of the big bins?

For the kill confirmed game mode, it would be pretty cool to have actual dog tags instead of playing cards.  I had a look on Alibaba and you could get 100 red/blue/green/whatever anodized dog tags for £40/£50 shipped.   Probably less with some more hunting/negotiating.  I only had a quick look.  Have them with a magnetic connector so you could just yank them off.

All in all, fantastic site and I'll definitely be back soon.

Oh, and bring a torch.  You'll definitely need it. 

I have now updated the original post with a full review of Erebor! 

Cheers for making this thread a bit of a beast gents! 

On 23/07/2019 at 13:35, ImTriggerHappy said:

I am now waiting to see how many people who gave him shit start trying to be all matey now.

Now Seth is potentially a site owner the sycophants will come out in force. Airsoft groupies who would of thought they would be a thing?

Nope still think hes a deluded bellend

20 hours ago, PureSilver said:

I’ve only really lurked this forum, but since this is where the review thread is: I played today and have nothing but praise for everyone involved. The site is spectacular, Seth and his team were flawlessly professional, and the games ran like clockwork.

It’s one of the best CQB sites I’ve ever played. The buildings are complex and closely-set with interesting angles, the lighting can be varied between more than just seared retinas or pitch black, and (unlike Blitz, which is the closest analogue I’ve played) it’s big enough not to feel like you’re trapped in a dollhouse. The inessential but really nice creature comforts - parking (right outside), a good site shop, hot water for tea/coffee, tables and chairs in the safe zone, a safe zone that isn’t a two-hour hike from the play zone, decent toilets - are all present and in brand-new condition, rather than the crumbling shitholes most CQB sites seem to be.

Thanks, the guys, Josh, Haydn, Ryan and Kiran, really made the day come together.

The lighting options will be increasing, but that's a surprise.

The marshalling - despite the rather insulting fear-mongering in this thread - was as close to perfect as I’ve ever seen. The team were so thorough and reassuring that, even in the did-I-hit-that-person-why-isn’t-he-calling-it confusion inherent to playing CQB in low light, everyone seemed to get along just fine. Incredibly, I didn’t even hear any bitching in the safe zone.

I'll pass that on :) 

The number of players was well-judged (I think 20ish is optimal, 25 maximum before it starts getting crowded), and everyone seemed to be enthusiastically hurling themselves at the objectives rather than stacking up at choke points or chatting in the safe zone. Helping that were the game modes, which while not exactly revolutionary were more than just shooting everything that moved, and kept people in play almost all the time without making the games run until they’d outstayed their welcome.

Everyone seemed to be saying the same thing, with more doorways 25 will a good fit but for now, 20 is great. 

The only recommendations I’d make would be;

1. To try to improve the connectivity between the upper floors of some of the buildings, so players can circumvent the choke points which sometimes formed on one road corner. There wasn’t much of that (people were aggressively pushing all day, and the marshals acted quickly to rebalance areas that were in danger of stagnating), but why waste the potential of the intricate buildings?

2. To keep the number of players in check. One of the biggest pitfalls at Blitz was how insanely crowded it felt; Erebor ran perfectly with the ~22 players today. I’d much rather pay a bit more to play a good site than a bit less to share with too many other players.

I was extremely impressed, wholeheartedly recommend the site, and won’t hesitate to go back.

Working on that, got a few ideas that we're pitching.

Looking forward to having you back, thanks for coming yesterday!

20 hours ago, L3wisD said:

For any of the (many) AFUK ex-Mall players - I've realised that Josh and Haydn from The Mall are helping to run Erebor.

That alone is enough to peak my interest @Seth_Erebor, and you've done well to choose them. Top blokes, great marshals and wicked players. And if they have a small sprinkling of Mall Magic it'll be great!

I'll be looking to come down soon now :)

It has to be said, the site looks incredible fun to play in:

Can't wait to have you, it's been so good meeting forum members in person.

10 hours ago, DrAlexanderTobacco said:

So pissed off I couldn't make this one, stuck at a wedding :( sounds absolutely sick though, grats Seth and I'll be getting booked for the next one I can do asap

Thanks, sorting the next few dates in the coming weeks.

8 hours ago, hitmanNo2 said:

I was there too yesterday and can echo Puresilver's comments.  Really great site.  Ample parking, actual ceramic toilets, excellent safe zone etc.  Pretty opulent for an airsoft site heh.

I think the stairs that come down after you've taken the farthest right door in the brief/chrono area needs some type of cover just outside as you just get nailed as soon as you come out onto the street.  I don't know if that's possible as I only went down there once but maybe something to think about.  Maybe one of the big bins?

For the kill confirmed game mode, it would be pretty cool to have actual dog tags instead of playing cards.  I had a look on Alibaba and you could get 100 red/blue/green/whatever anodized dog tags for £40/£50 shipped.   Probably less with some more hunting/negotiating.  I only had a quick look.  Have them with a magnetic connector so you could just yank them off.

All in all, fantastic site and I'll definitely be back soon.

Oh, and bring a torch.  You'll definitely need it. 

Opulent, I like that, might add it to the site description.

That door will have cover from the hotel and directly in front, the guys are looking at the options.

I'll have a look, probably more durable than playing cards.

Can't wait to see you back!

3 hours ago, Asomodai said:

I have now updated the original post with a full review of Erebor! 

Cheers for making this thread a bit of a beast gents! 

I'm blown away by the response, really appreciate it all!

36 minutes ago, EvilMonkee said:

Nope still think hes a deluded bellend

lol, makes two of us.

• Mostly Retired Moderators
4 minutes ago, PureSilver said:

Another player suggested patches instead of playing cards, on the basis that most people have velcro space somewhere on their kit and the patch can just be stuck on and ripped off rapidly.

You'd be best off with a 4" strip of bright coloured velcro rather than patches.

You could probably buy that on a roll and cut it to size.

18 hours ago, Seth_Erebor said:

That door will have cover from the hotel and directly in front, the guys are looking at the options.

I'll have a look, probably more durable than playing cards.

Cool.  That would be great.

Yeah.  I kept my cards in my pocket and they got a bit...soggy.  I can't seem them lasting long.  Definitely need something more durable.

• 2 weeks later...

I was also there on the 14th as part of George's unexpected crew - fantastic site and well run IMO.

I particularly liked the kill confirmed game as a more interesting spin on the usual "go shoot each other" format. The extra layer keeps it interesting while still providing quick pewpews. It felt like the gaps between games could have been a little shorter to give more game time, but "I want to play more" is about as scathing as I could be with the experience I had. Already trying to line up another date to come down (and for me that's all the way from the midlands FWIW)

Archived