TM U.S M9 pistol choking up issue.

Asomodai
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hello all.

My TM M9 is nearly a year old, it's pretty much stock, I do silicon up the slide from time to time. Since May I have been having the occasional problem with it every 4-5 mag fulls. Halfway through the mag it seems like it does not fully cycle and it loses power but still fires. It feels like it is choking up for lack of a better description. No gas is leaking. After 5 or 6 shots it fires and cycles as normal until the mag finishes and slide locks back.

I have not been able to replicate it outside of a skirmish as of yet, only seems to happen in the middle of a skirmish. I use ASG UltraAir gas mostly.

These have been reasonably warm days at 23 degrees plus if it makes a difference. 

I am struggling to find a reason for it at the moment, is there anything I can check?

Cheers!

Possibly light striking the valve because of the hot temps?

This^^^^

Run lower powered gas. I had a very similar problem with my Shadow2, BUT the less powerful gas wouldn’t cycle the slide. Ended up changing the outlet valves for KWA ones

1 hour ago, rocketdogbert said:

This^^^^

Run lower powered gas. I had a very similar problem with my Shadow2, BUT the less powerful gas wouldn’t cycle the slide. Ended up changing the outlet valves for KWA ones

2 hours ago, Wo1f said:

Possibly light striking the valve because of the hot temps?

Asg Ultraair is essentially a lower powered green gas, so I should use duster gas instead?

I am guessing the TM hammer springs are lighter then a WE and that is why it's happening? 

Cheers!

Potentially. If the problem goes away with duster then you can either run it on that or upgrade/replace your hammer spring

27 minutes ago, Wo1f said:

Potentially. If the problem goes away with duster then you can either run it on that or upgrade/replace your hammer spring

If I upgraded or replaced the hammer spring, would I need to upgrade or replace anything else? I know very little about pistols beyond lube, hop, rubber and barrel. (Oerrr)

No you don't. I may have a WE m9 spring. Not sure of the m9 msh setup but one thing you can do with Capa/1911 for the same issue is place a BB under the hammer spring to slightly increase the tension and make the hammer fall a touch harder. 

• 2 weeks later...

I came across the BB solution about 16 years ago when Matt Dean (Mobius strip/Dr Infinity) helped me out with a light striking Western Arms. You can use rings cut from an old inner barrel as well to fine tune  the strike.

Archived