Power question

sonofsammo
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

If you buy a full auto capable RIF from a UK retailer and when you chrono it, it comes up at 430fps on .2 (1.7J) - have they broken the law selling it to you?
If they have, which one?
And if not, how come?
Are you currently breaking the law having it in your possession?

Next question: What should you do about it?

• Supporters

It's not an airsoft gun.

That makes it an air rifle.

Scotchland needs a licence for the buyer.

They must sell it to you face-to-face , or using their own employee rather than a courier.

I'd cite the legislation, but I'm off work today and am a couple of Stellas down already, so I think I'll let someone else have the pleasure of looking it up this time. ;)

An air rifle can’t be fully automatic. Pretty sure it would be considered a section 5 technically. 

I got sold a WE scar H by zero one that was 440. Part of me wants to throw them all under the bus so they sell stuff I can actually use out of the box, but we shouldn’t be drawing negative attention to ourselves 

• Supporters
13 hours ago, Wo1f said:

An air rifle can’t be fully automatic.

Not just air rifles.  Section 5 prohibits "any firearm which is so designed or adapted that two or more missiles can be successively discharged without repeated pressure on the trigger".

The exception that we enjoy to that is down to section 57A, which defines airsoft guns and says that the rest of the Act doesn't apply, but only if they're within the power limit.

So on the face of it, I agree that any auto gun that can produce over 1.3J (and remember, they could drop a steel BB in there to test it, and use any gas they like in a GBB) is indeed a section 5 prohibited firearm.

Bad news: the section 5 offence is possess, purchase or acquire, not specifically selling.  Although the seller must have committed the same offence.

13 hours ago, Wo1f said:

I got sold a WE scar H by zero one that was 440. Part of me wants to throw them all under the bus so they sell stuff I can actually use out of the box, but we shouldn’t be drawing negative attention to ourselves  

Ouch.  Did you at least let them know that's a section 5 and that you're not best pleased about being sold it?

• Supporters
1 hour ago, Rogerborg said:

So on the face of it, I agree that any auto gun that can produce over 1.3J (and remember, they could drop a steel BB in there to test it, and use any gas they like in a GBB) is indeed a section 5 prohibited firearm.

See this is the bit that worries me when it comes to how this is defined. Because theres loads of stuff in airsoft that could fall foul if tested out of context like this.

1 hour ago, Rogerborg said:

Not just air rifles.  Section 5 prohibits "any firearm which is so designed or adapted that two or more missiles can be successively discharged without repeated pressure on the trigger".

The exception that we enjoy to that is down to section 57A, which defines airsoft guns and says that the rest of the Act doesn't apply, but only if they're within the power limit.

Bad news: the section 5 offence is possess, purchase or acquire, not specifically selling.  Although the seller must have committed the same offence.

Ouch.  Did you at least let them know that's a section 5 and that you're not best pleased about being sold it?

As it happens i wanted it as a DMR so it was getting the auto sear bar removed the second I took it out of the box anyway. If I wanted to skirmish it as is I’d have kicked off royally. 

As an extra answer to the question I would say it depends on the RIF. Question doesn't specify whether  its single shot only or capable of full auto, as stated in previous answers if its capable of full auto then it falls foul of section 5, if it's single shot only then its still well within limits.

1 hour ago, Nick G said:

As an extra answer to the question I would say it depends on the RIF. Question doesn't specify whether  its single shot only or capable of full auto, as stated in previous answers if it's capable of full auto then it falls foul of section 5, if it's single shot only then its still well within limits.

OP amended to automatic.

• Supporters
2 hours ago, Nick G said:

As an extra answer to the question I would say it depends on the RIF. Question doesn't specify whether  its single shot only or capable of full auto, as stated in previous answers if its capable of full auto then it falls foul of section 5, if it's single shot only then its still well within limits.

An extra question to that answer, where does a 2.5j polarstar set electronically to semi only sit?

2 hours ago, Adolf Hamster said:

An extra question to that answer, where does a 2.5j polarstar set electronically to semi only sit?

Interesting question, personally I would say that electronic limiting wouldn't be sufficient , although that may be my prejudice talking, and that it would need to be physically limited so that it cant be changed back in a few seconds with a series of trigger pulls. 

I think in terms of the law it could be a bit grey, but for gameplay it’s fine. If I build a Tm recoil as a DMR and have it set to safe-semi-semi on the btc I think that’s perfectly fine. 

It CAN be converted, but at the same time you can make any legal air rifle into a firearm with a single drop of diesel

Archived