Sons first gun.

Tom6651
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hello all. My lad has now reached an age that I am comfortable with him owning his own AEG, moving away from rentals. He seems to love the sport and I want to keep him interested with something he can call his own. 

The budget is £300ish and I want something that will have the build quality that won't require putting more money into it. 

He favours CQB but has also played at woodland venues. 

He has shown me the below 

https://www.patrolbase.co.uk/vfc-vr16-fighter-mk2?pv=8625

But I don't know whether it's any good/worth the price tag. 

Some advice from people in the know would be wonderful. 

Thanks.

1 hour ago, Tom6651 said:

Hello all. My lad has now reached an age that I am comfortable with him owning his own AEG, moving away from rentals. He seems to love the sport and I want to keep him interested with something he can call his own. 

The budget is £300ish and I want something that will have the build quality that won't require putting more money into it. 

He favours CQB but has also played at woodland venues. 

He has shown me the below 

https://www.patrolbase.co.uk/vfc-vr16-fighter-mk2?pv=8625

But I don't know whether it's any good/worth the price tag. 

Some advice from people in the know would be wonderful. 

Thanks.

VFC has some of the best externals out there. Internals can be a bit hit and miss though. 

I would say there are better all round M4's out there for the price. Krytac, ICS, G&P etc. Maybe a high end Specna Arms might be good, there are some with a Titan Mosfet inside for less money. 

I would say a Krytac, for that sort of money its great out the box, well built, needs no upgrade or internals and will keep up with most stock guns on the market.

• Supporters
14 minutes ago, EDcase said:

To me that seems like a lot of money for a first gun.

What if he gets bored of it or want something shorter etc...?

agree, don't know the lads age/size but I'm guessing a full metal gun may be, or become an issue.

get a plastic bodied combat machine, will be great for him & leaves plenty left over for a suitable pistol & other bits.

Arp556. Will have money left over for gear accessories and all that type of tat everyone new inherently wants. If you’ve got a shop nearby take him there and have a chat, look at and feel lots of different stuff.

4 hours ago, Asomodai said:

VFC has some of the best externals out there. Internals can be a bit hit and miss though. 

I would say there are better all round M4's out there for the price. Krytac, ICS, G&P etc. Maybe a high end Specna Arms might be good, there are some with a Titan Mosfet inside for less money. 

Thank you for your constructive advice. I will have a look around.

1 hour ago, Tom6651 said:

Thank you for your constructive advice. I will have a look around.

No problem.

If he wants something that is fun, lightweight and reliable, then the Tokyo Marui M4 CRW High cycle is what I would I go for. Ridiculous rate of fire. 

• Supporters
2 hours ago, Asomodai said:

Ridiculous rate of fire. 

& that's a good thing is it ? 😉, just what we need, another "hose" monkey 🐵 .

He plays CQB and wants to play some woodland?
What he needs is an ARP9 (or a 556, as has been said, but they cost more).
For your budget, you can get the gun, lipos, charger, spare mags (X9 mids for cqb, drum for woodland) and a sight.
Already comes with an ETU and mosfet.
It's small, so perfect for use in CQB - but it has a very respectable range, so is excellent for woodland too.
Build quality is excellent, especially considering the low price point.
Don't bother with the hi caps, they're shit. 
And then if he gives up, you've not lost a load - and if he doesn't, he's got an excellent, light, high quality secondary 😄 

So much win!

Just get him a combat machine, theyre bloody brilliant, small enough for CQB easily and great for woodland too. You can get a CM16 Raider, spare mags, batteries, charger and youll still have change left over from £200 for any other bits he wants like a vest or plate carrier, face protection etc

2 hours ago, Tiercel said:

Just get him a combat machine, theyre bloody brilliant, small enough for CQB easily and great for woodland too. You can get a CM16 Raider, spare mags, batteries, charger and youll still have change left over from £200 for any other bits he wants like a vest or plate carrier, face protection etc

Better off getting a newer g&g model with the mosfet. Far better performance for a little more and they look nicer. No point buying an outdated model, unless you mean the 2.0.

17 hours ago, Dentonboy said:

Tokyo.

Marui.

Every time.

Yea, because every wants/ can afford to pay 3x what they need to to get a decent gun! 

• Supporters
47 minutes ago, ImTriggerHappy said:

Can you back that reasoning up with anything factual?

while I'm not advocating spending upwards of £400+ on tm rifles (there are many awesome budget rifles out there), I cant say I've ever heard anyone say "I bought a tm, & it was a lemon"

or words to that effect 😉

6 minutes ago, Tackle said:

while I'm not advocating spending upwards of £400+ on tm rifles (there are many awesome budget rifles out there), I cant say I've ever heard anyone say "I bought a tm, & it was a lemon"

Do you think someone that spends on £400 would ever admit it's not that great? I certainly wouldn't 😂

• Supporters
8 minutes ago, Tackle said:

But there are guns that perform better for a lot less cash.

So while yeah they have bolt stop and judder feature everything else is distinctly average.

• Supporters
11 minutes ago, Aengus said:

Do you think someone that spends on £400 would ever admit it's not that great? I certainly wouldn't 😂

lol, if it wasn't great I'd be taking it back.

10 minutes ago, ImTriggerHappy said:

But there are guns that perform better for a lot less cash.

So while yeah they have bolt stop and judder feature everything else is distinctly average.

tbh I've never (yet) owned a rifle with any such features, not even basic recoil, but have to say my most reliable , & heavily used rifle is my tm m4s, internally never been touched, just keeps going & has for at least 14 years, prob longer 😁.

many cheap rifles are amazing, I'm currently having a real bromance with my cyma m14 socom, great example of cheap & still good quality.

Archived