Patches

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I'm doing a CTSFO kit right now, I've completed it and I was reading the law on patches. I read a few reddit posts where people had already debated on the legal side of wearing police patches. I have a friend who also has a CTSFO loadout but doesn't wear the POLICE patch only the CTSFO one, he said he has no trouble as all the police officers he spoke to and knows said that if the patches are outdated then they're fine to use (Our CTSFO patches are the old ones as they have new updated ones now), would you guys agree? 

I want to be cautious before proceeding with my loadout. 

Ctfso is not a problem. My battlebuddy wears one. Of course never outside a skirmish site or his home.

• Supporters

Over the years I've lost count given how many hundreds of police/sas/marine commando patches I've seen on airsofters at games who are none of the above (not to mention just about every army regiment patch, raf and navy stuff etc etc etc).  I think absolute 'worst case' you would maybe take them off for any IG posting on your own accounts and the like, but even then that's playing it very safe.

Yeah the only time I'd actually be wearing the vest is in my backyard to train on targets, in my home or at the field. I'd never carry it in public unless it's in a bag with my other equipment. 

The main concern I wanted to cover was outdated patches. As far as I know the red team CTSFO patches and all the other colours are now outdated as on new photos of CTSFO they all wear grey ones now stating which region they're in, EG: GMP CTSFO to state they're from Manchester and it usually has a number on it to symbolise who is who. So I was wondering is that okay to wear on my grey truspec top? As I'd no doubt be wearing that to travel to the game, or do you guys recommend removing it and only having my union jack on there? 

This is the patch I mean that's outdated.

Metropolitan-Police-7-CTSFO-embroidery-patches-4x45-hook.jpg

• Supporters
52 minutes ago, British Operator said:

So I was wondering is that okay to wear on my grey truspec top? As I'd no doubt be wearing that to travel to the game

In a car, or on public transport?

If the former, eh, whatever.  Just only wear it to or from a skirmish, and be ready to evidence that on the spot, same as for your RIFs.

If the latter, cover it or remove it.

[Tedious technicalities]

The wording is "[an] article of police uniform".  There's no mention of whether that means current issue or not.  You don't want to be in a situation where you're having to form case law on that.

What is clear is that there must be intent to deceive.  However, why else would you be choosing to wear it openly, when it would be simple enough to cover or remove it?  Never go full Walt.

[Practicality]

Don't make it an issue.

Don't make yourself a target for people who have an issue with the police.

[References]

The way I'd look at it is, just don't make it an issue. When you're at the site, wear what ever you want, no one will stop you. Outside of that, do whatever you can to make it absolutely clear you are not in any way trying to look like Police. Legality aside, I wouldn't wear a patch that says Met Police outside of the skirmish site, even if it is outdated (I mean really who's going to know that's the outdated one?).

Is it an inconvenience to change once you get there?

No I totally understand, which is why I might do a Politie DSI uniform after all, they're the closest thing to CTSFO that isn't British. It kind of sucks but I totally understand why these laws are in place, same for the RIF laws on not being able to say go in the garden and shoot targets with a black realistic rifle in case the neighbours think it's real, I know and have encountered people who do genuinely impersonate police officers. 

But on the other hand it ruins my fun lol, I'm getting a custom patch made with our team name on it to replace the POLICE patch in the CTSFO gear, that should clear up the issues with wearing the uniform.

• Supporters

You're fine to buy, own and wear full replica current issue police uniform if you have a reason to do so.  See the case law above: "wearing at fancy dress parties and similar events" would surely cover airsoft on private land.

Just (legally speaking) don't do it with any intent to deceive, and (practically speaking) don't wear it off-site.

As has been covered before on the forums it's fine . 

On another note those patches are not out of date . Met ones are different to the national CTSFO patches because the Met like to be different /speshhuuul

• Supporters

As the Borg said , don’t make a target of your self , plus to be honest your gona look a bit of a cock tooling around the place with all your patches on display ? 

General point not aimed at you (just you raised the subject 👍) you asked would it be ok wearing your shirt to the venue ? , my question in response is why do so many players do that ? We’ve all got bags with us so stick the top your playing in in there and wear a civi top to the site ! We’ve all seen it , you call in to the nearest McChucklenuts to the site for some brekkie and it’s full of barely post pubescent guys dressed in full camo gear , and there’ll be a few wearing there tacgear as well ! 🤦‍♂️ Camo trousers are part of daily fashion these days and no one will even batt an eyelid at it BUT the second you put a matching top on as well it changes your whole appearance to joe public , you go from being part of the crowd to instantly becoming the attention OF the crowd .

True, good point. I've concluded with this topic by sticking to doing my Dutch DSI loadout instead, from what I've seen from so many replies on Reddit and here it's a lot of legality involved over a patch, which I totally understand there are idiots who go out impersonating officers, I've seen it all before. However for me doing an airsoft loadout it seems a bit over the top to deal with as if I'm seen in the garden with the patches I can be reported by my neighbours which is ridiculous, so for me and my friends we're going to stick with doing another country's loadout. 

Thank you all for your feedback and advice. 

• Supporters

People have said multiple times in here to only wear the patches in game and nowhere else, why would you be wearing them in your garden?  If you want to try on the rest of the loadout or take pictures out there or whatever, then literally just take the velcro patches off if you have multiple overlooking neighbours who really twitch their curtains.

We have our range in our garden specifically for messing around with our gear and rifles. We like to have fun out of games too, especially with FPS laws in the UK we mess with our FPS on the range too. And yes we live in that type of neighbourhood, our neighbours are always at their windows watching everyone not just us, nosey people. And yeah good point about taking the patches off.

• Supporters
39 minutes ago, British Operator said:

We have our range in our garden specifically for messing around with our gear and rifles. We like to have fun out of games too, especially with FPS laws in the UK we mess with our FPS on the range too. And yes we live in that type of neighbourhood, our neighbours are always at their windows watching everyone not just us, nosey people. And yeah good point about taking the patches off.

Sorry bud but with that kind of back story your asking for trouble , and it’ll be a when and not an if it happens .

Yeah I noticed that, I'm probably going to not use it anymore, we've never had trouble from the neighbours in the past though over this type of stuff. It was just a caution about the patches I was concerned about. 

I'm sure we can wrap it all up. 

• Supporters
18 minutes ago, British Operator said:

It was just a caution about the patches I was concerned about

Doris: "Horace! Horace!  That wild lad from Number 42 is out in his back garden shooting one of those death massacre assault guns!  Call the police!  Call the army!"

Horace: "That's as maybe, woman, but is he wearing a current issue SCO19 patch?"

Doris: "No, dear, after zooming and enhancing and checking with several online fora, the consensus is that it appears to be a 2014-2017 Dutch Counter Terrorism patch."

Horace: "Well then, no cause for concern, is there?"

You may be focussing on the details rather than the substance of their potential concerns.

Have you dropped round to let them know what you're doing?  Like paintball without the paint, very low powered, plastic balls, all quite legal.

On 18/07/2019 at 11:45, British Operator said:

Just tell your neighbours what your doing. Tell them the guns and gear are not real etc and it would save you issues in the long run. 

Archived