Why we chrono

gasman
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Well I did the chrono again yesterday and had 3 excellent examples of why it should be done at every game.

I wish snipers would come up with empty mags and make my life easier!

It is amazing how the owners of the guns that failed all play dumb and ignorant of how their guns happen to be so far over legal!.

3 M4 AEG derivatives well over 450fps ! one at sniper FPS !!!

There were those trying to pass off .25s at chrono as .2s that's why we made you use our mags with .2s or loaded your mags with our BBs.

We also had the other end of the spectrum those owners that do not realize their guns are firing at only 200 FPS because they do not service or have not checked their function.

I believe these are the players that are constantly saying other players are not taking their hits, well that's because you did not hit me, you did not get anywhere near reaching me.

These same players are the ones that also do not know how to adjust their hop so they are over or under hopped always.

If you are going to do a sport even airsoft at least learn how the toy weapon you play with works!!

One last thing a shop is selling solid aluminum BBs in .3 weight how bloody irresponsible!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Supporters

indeed, there's a lot of misunderstanding of physics in this game. just yesterday i had to take 5 minutes to show a fella that hop units are a thing and that they might significantly improve his fun.

what would also be nice is some kind of standardisation or calibration of chronos, 5 different chronos will give 5 potentially vastly different readings. The ones at the mall always made my guns hot even when they werent at other sites! Very annoying to be told your 330fps gun thats been 330fps for the last few years at every site youve played at, is now 351fps according ot theirs! :P  Obviously this is impossible to do really, but it would be nice!

I also had a highly embarassing moment the other day with my VSR, its been plodding along at 450-ish FPS since I got it, decided to give it some love with a new tapered cylinder head, PTFE evereything, heatshrink nozzle, new hop rubber etc. Chrono'd it at the start of the day and its now doing 560fps on their chrono. Whoops! Didnt think it would boost it that much! Must have had some truly crap air seals. That quickly ruined a planned day of sneaky snipey fun.

• Supporters
17 minutes ago, Tiercel said:

what would also be nice is some kind of standardisation or calibration of chronos, 5 different chronos will give 5 potentially vastly different readings. The ones at the mall always made my guns hot even when they werent at other sites! Very annoying to be told your 330fps gun thats been 330fps for the last few years at every site youve played at, is now 351fps according ot theirs! :P  Obviously this is impossible to do really, but it would be nice!

And they would of been 351fps as the mall uses Skan chronos which are far more accurate than your average airsoft chrono. 

I do not know why every site doesn't adopt them as they are only a couple of hundred pound and the 2 at the mall and my one at home were all under 1% variance. 

• Supporters
8 hours ago, gasman said:

It is amazing how the owners of the guns that failed all play dumb and ignorant of how their guns happen to be so far over legal!.

3 M4 AEG derivatives well over 450fps ! one at sniper FPS !!! 

And that's 65% more energy than a 350fps gun: you don't get that by wrapping a bit of PTFE tape round the hop rubber.  I won't get too high horsey though as I put a "500fps" (2.31J) spring and piston into my MB-03 and it chronoed at over 600fps (3.33J). Yikes.

That went back in the bag sharpish, but ... [looks around]... nobody was checking chrono that day, either beforehand or in game.  I could have walked on and played with that all day.  And even if people do get chronoed and tagged, quick change or tension adjustable springs are a thing now, and take minutes or seconds.

Which is why I'd like to see a lot more chronoing in-game, all throughout the day, and "take your money elsewhere" consequences for anyone caught more than a few fps over after being given the opportunity to get themselves checked before play.

13 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

And that's 65% more energy than a 350fps gun: you don't get that by wrapping a bit of PTFE tape round the hop rubber.  I won't get too high horsey though as I put a "500fps" (2.31J) spring and piston into my MB-03 and it chronoed at over 600fps (3.33J). Yikes.

That went back in the bag sharpish, but ... [looks around]... nobody was checking chrono that day, either beforehand or in game.  I could have walked on and played with that all day.  And even if people do get chronoed and tagged, quick change or tension adjustable springs are a thing now, and take minutes or seconds.

Which is why I'd like to see a lot more chronoing in-game, all throughout the day, and "take your money elsewhere" consequences for anyone caught more than a few fps over after being given the opportunity to get themselves checked before play.

I agree with you 100% but I believe chrono before game play is the way to start and attentive marshals on the lookout for the type of cheating you describe.

It is not required to have high FPS for range but it does help.

When my guns which I get as close as possible to limits and are as tuned as I can get them are out ranged by another AEG by some distance then I want them chronoed!

As for chrono,s giving different readings we put 3 different makes up and all were within 3 FPS to 5FPS. I have noticed cheap BBs give lower readings compared to GGs with the cheaper BBs giving a wider spread of FPS.

A consistent approach of testing all guns on every game day is I think essential to deter those cheats that think they can flout the rules with the same .2 BBs used in all guns.

In game chrono of some pistols would be good as well with all the different gasses out there

Again i am reminded that i maybe dont want to go to many other sites....full disclosure i do not work for Combat South...evey gun gets crono'd if it leaves the safe zone without a tag you get told to put it back in the bag/get it tagged. these players are watched as Gasman recommends....

• Supporters

Yes you do need to do some research on your guns when first getting into the sport but to be fair to the noobies there’s basically F**k all ‘official’ info out there and when you go on to ANY Airsoft forum of any sort and you ask any kind of opinion/information question on it 9 times out of 10 within .5 of a nano second it turns in to a screaming shit storm between players with different opinions and the original posters question gets totally lost !🤦‍♂️ So asking for help or an experienced player going on to them as there looking a bit lost at a game day is there best hope of learning anything at all ?

I also agree chrono at the start must be mandatory and the site limits are set in stone BUT how many times have we all been to sites where you’ve got some gimpy kid standing there with a chrono that looks battered to buggery and you know once it’s finished with it’ll get chucked in to a big box of crap until the next game day !

• Supporters
1 hour ago, gasman said:

When my guns which I get as close as possible to limits and are as tuned as I can get them are out ranged by another AEG by some distance then I want them chronoed!

Maybe they just know how to set their gun up better?

1 hour ago, gasman said:

As for chrono,s giving different readings we put 3 different makes up and all were within 3 FPS to 5FPS. I have noticed cheap BBs give lower readings compared to GGs with the cheaper BBs giving a wider spread of FPS.

I have lined up 10 XCORTECH chronos which are one of the better cheap brands and had variance of more than 15fps across and all were reading lower than my SKAN.

If the bbs are all the same weight then readings should be the same-ish across the board. You might get more fliers due to air bubbles making them unbalanced but nothing of note at chrono distance. 

1 hour ago, gasman said:

In game chrono of some pistols would be good as well with all the different gasses out there

Agreed but random chrono should be across all guns.

• Supporters
8 minutes ago, Aengus said:

Pretty disappointing that I as an hpa player have never had my reg rechecked for the lock

Which is bad , your being a responsible player by locking it , when the obligatory “hpa over kill/guns too hot !” Accusations start flying after you get the drop on someone you can quite happily say “nope not me cupcake , and if you don’t believe me go ask the marshals !” So you get lumped in with the ones who do take the piss . 

1 hour ago, Druid799 said:

Which is bad , your being a responsible player by locking it , when the obligatory “hpa over kill/guns too hot !” Accusations start flying after you get the drop on someone you can quite happily say “nope not me cupcake , and if you don’t believe me go ask the marshals !” So you get lumped in with the ones who do take the piss . 

Even more disappointingly sometimes the Marshall’s don’t even bother changing the current zip ties to their own (colour of the day) so could have some of my own in my bag to use after I’ve had a fiddle if I were a more nefarious character 😧.

• Supporters
2 hours ago, Aengus said:

Pretty disappointing that I as an hpa player have never had my reg rechecked for the lock or been spot chronoed. Does make you think

Me neither, ive been locked once, and that was only because i was showing the marshalls it was a thing you could do.

And if i had a penny for every "she's firing a bit low" conversation when i'm running the heavies.

So what my gripe is player Marshalls and Marshalls in general at a site who either fail to get chrono'd or are blatantly ignoring the site rules using a hot weapon and not chronoing properly. 

As I tend not to post negative comments about a site but I'm think this is appropriate to the thread and educational for all. I will refrain from naming the site. 

So I arrived at the site nice and early on the day and got my gear sorted. When they opened chrono I proceeded to start getting my arsenal chrono'd. When I went up with my final weapon the player Marshall chronoing was struggling to hold the chrono and test his personal weapon so I offered to hold the chrono while he fired. He proceeded to put some 0.2g Bb's in his mag and started firing over the site limit approx 360 fps. As I'm standing there he informs me that his gun always fires hot on the first few shots so steps to the side and fires a few bursts of full auto then returns to fire through the chrono and amazingly it's under.

What he failed to realise is that I had noticed that he must have fired all the 0.2g Bb's before he stepped back to the chrono so of course it was under as he was using heavier ammo. But as he was chronoing no one at the site checked his weapon not even another Marshall on the day. Which again can lead to abuse of the rules and if the Marshall is prepared to cheat the chrono what else will not be done properly. 

• Supporters

Agreed, bs like that deserves to be named and shamed.

Ive walked away from sites like that. If your going to let cheating slide then at least make it equal opportunity cheating.

• Supporters

Yup and another for name it , if they let that slide ‘as he’s a marshal’ then what else will they allow ?

Our site Chrono's at the start of the day, and has during the last year gone over to chrono on joules using game weight BB's . Aimed mostly at keeping the snipers under limit allowing for joule creep I prefer it as a system . Obviously it requires that players are honest about the weight they are using, although if the marshal has any doubts he will ask you to fire some site supplied .2's to cross check. Can the system be cheated ? yes it can, but it's hard to think of something that can't that isn't prohibitively time consuming. Random  checking does help though.

• Supporters
1 hour ago, ImTriggerHappy said:

Wouldn't work

It would require cheaters to straight up lie, follow up with a spot check and zero tolerance policy

15 hours ago, Aengus said:

Pretty disappointing that I as an hpa player have never had my reg rechecked for the lock or been spot chronoed. Does make you think

Perhaps you look honest and probably been watched without you knowing it.

We watch certain players that seem to lack honesty enough to even take their hits!

How long I wonder before we put up cameras to watch players more closely big brother is coming everywhere.

4 hours ago, mogaly674 said:

So what my gripe is player Marshalls and Marshalls in general at a site who either fail to get chrono'd or are blatantly ignoring the site rules using a hot weapon and not chronoing properly. 

As I tend not to post negative comments about a site but I'm think this is appropriate to the thread and educational for all. I will refrain from naming the site. 

So I arrived at the site nice and early on the day and got my gear sorted. When they opened chrono I proceeded to start getting my arsenal chrono'd. When I went up with my final weapon the player Marshall chronoing was struggling to hold the chrono and test his personal weapon so I offered to hold the chrono while he fired. He proceeded to put some 0.2g Bb's in his mag and started firing over the site limit approx 360 fps. As I'm standing there he informs me that his gun always fires hot on the first few shots so steps to the side and fires a few bursts of full auto then returns to fire through the chrono and amazingly it's under.

What he failed to realise is that I had noticed that he must have fired all the 0.2g Bb's before he stepped back to the chrono so of course it was under as he was using heavier ammo. But as he was chronoing no one at the site checked his weapon not even another Marshall on the day. Which again can lead to abuse of the rules and if the Marshall is prepared to cheat the chrono what else will not be done properly. 

I think you should name the site! My son in law seems to cause lost of pain with his pair of midget m4s and we always make a point of chronoing his guns to show they are at best 310FPS. It is just when people are rushed  and up close the pain seems more intense. I chronoed mine and found one had gained nearly 10 fps on the last time I did it at home, putting it over 350 no problem back in the bag and that was a lot less than ten percent. If I come across a marshal that is over I will be the first to make a noise about it THEY should Know better!!!!!

• Supporters
54 minutes ago, Nick G said:

Our site Chrono's at the start of the day, and has during the last year gone over to chrono on joules using game weight BB's . Aimed mostly at keeping the snipers under limit allowing for joule creep I prefer it as a system . Obviously it requires that players are honest about the weight they are using, although if the marshal has any doubts he will ask you to fire some site supplied .2's to cross check. Can the system be cheated ? yes it can, but it's hard to think of something that can't that isn't prohibitively time consuming. Random  checking does help though.

Glad to hear this is finally happening some places.  I don't think its' quite as epidemic an issue as some people imply given the sheer numbers of G&G combat machines out there, but when it comes to the less common weapons (non-electric ones especially) I think there will be a fair few folks who are either straight cheating or so ignorant of the basic science they don't even realise they're shooting at excessive muzzle energies.

• Supporters
40 minutes ago, TheFull9 said:

I think there will be a fair few folks who are either straight cheating or so ignorant of the basic science they don't even realise they're shooting at excessive muzzle energies.

this is the sincher, folk who don't realise dropping a longer barrel in their gbb to "help accuracy" is just pushing their fps up, or the accidental joule creepers, hell even the ones who don't even understand that 300fps on a .2g is not the same thing as 300fps on a .4g

and at least it would require a cheater to straight up lie about the weight they were using, zero tolerance after that point.

What is it the police would say ignorance is no excuse. Druid spoke about people asking questions which are basic and covered here on this forum in so many places I do not find I don,t understand an excuse

Archived