M4 dmr conversion ?

Raytd
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Ok so I have a king arms oa15 it’s a damn beauty of a gun and I used it again after a year or two of inactivity it was fantastic keeping up with its fellow tm and cyma team mates flawlessly unfortunately I can’t play in an assaulting capacity any more due to poor health I don’t have manouverability to skirmish front lines any longer I’m looking into perhaps turning into mid to long dmr poss any suggestions

is it worth it ? 

Would it’s 330 FPS be enough to just slap on a sight and call it a day ? ( I doubt it)

would the sniper route be worth exploring for value wise ? 

If it’s a worthwhile endeavour what parts would be good to look at ? 

And is there any way to adjust FPS by perhaps a switch so I can swap from dmr to ar? (Unsure if it’s even a thing but worth an ask)

If your site limit is 400-450 fps on 0.2g for a DMR, forget it. Because: the power difference just isn't big enough to give it a significant range/accuracy advantage over a regular auto aeg. let's say your dmr shoots 80- 90m? My custom aeg with ZCI hop, barrel and maple leaf macaron bucking and a flathop nub (£30-ish in total) will shoot 65-70m with a 0.25g. Competitively, someone with springy legs like me will cover that in 2-3 secs easily . You also don't have as much firepower to stop me from charging at you, and I also have 30rps spraying at you as I charge.

It's only worth it if your site limit is 500 fps with a 0.2g like landwarrior. Because, then you reach into the 100m benchmark where the range advantage starts to become more apparent. But, most sites will only allow 500 fps on bolt actions. If an auto gun is what you've used for the longest time, sniping will be incredibly boring. But, not impossible to transition.

What is wrong with your health though if you don't mind me asking? Is it something that is trainable to get you back up to speed?

1 hour ago, AK47frizzle said:

If your site limit is 400-450 fps on 0.2g for a DMR, forget it. Because: the power difference just isn't big enough to give it a significant range/accuracy advantage over a regular auto aeg. let's say your dmr shoots 80- 90m? My custom aeg with ZCI hop, barrel and maple leaf macaron bucking and a flathop nub (£30-ish in total) will shoot 65-70m with a 0.25g. Competitively, someone with springy legs like me will cover that in 2-3 secs easily . You also don't have as much firepower to stop me from charging at you, and I also have 30rps spraying at you as I charge.

It's only worth it if your site limit is 500 fps with a 0.2g like landwarrior. Because, then you reach into the 100m benchmark where the range advantage starts to become more apparent. But, most sites will only allow 500 fps on bolt actions. If an auto gun is what you've used for the longest time, sniping will be incredibly boring. But, not impossible to transition.

What is wrong with your health though if you don't mind me asking? Is it something that is trainable to get you back up to speed?

Ok so my site limit is 500 and on smaller days 30-40 ppl we have a snipers only rule for tree lines so assault AEGs lmgs and mags have to play obj And snipers can go anywhere except enemy spawn so it could be good at the site I’m at 

my issues lol I broke my neck about 6 years ago (fracture) but still painful if I’m not careful I had surgery but I get allot of pain at times I also have fibromyralgia and type 2 cardiovascular EDS boardering type 3 but I’ve had surgery on my knees and hips to keep from further damage so yeah I could train but trust me it barely helps lol 

edit: ok maybe dmr not best plan maybe 😕 

how could I max out my potential as a slower ar user I wouldn’t mind being able to be more accurate at range at 50m shots become unpredictable to a slight 😕 

i find I see someone shoot and they have pleanty time to dodge 

so maybe I feed better trigger reaction and somehow boost rate of fire so I can send sooner send more and not push cqb limits ?

ive never ever upgraded a gun so this is a project I want to do very much but I want it done right 😛

To address your question about functioning as a slower moving player using an AR I'd argue it's a case of using brains over brawn, so to speak anyway. There are a lot of us on here who will take it relatively slow and easy compared to those who like to run off like a gazelle with a firework up its bum. If you want to approach it at a slower pace it should be more than possible at most sites but it's adapting your play style accordingly and being aware of your limitations. You need to be much more calculating in your actions and when assessing your "next" move.

In relation to your gun, as a starting point it might be worth looking at changing out the barrel for a high quality tight bore inner barrel of appropriate length, a good quality hop rubber and nub (perhaps similar to what Frizzle is running) and then test it. If at all possible try get to a range which allows airsoft guns to try gain an accurate bearing on your current set up and then perform testing after you've changed the inner barrel and hop rubber/nub. Once you have those results I'd look at your next options.

When it comes to improving your own reactions there is only one thing you can do and that is practice with firing drills. Unfortunately there are very few sites which offer practical shooting facilities so you'll have to seek a solution on this one for yourself. There are upgrades which can be done to a gun to shave time off trigger response and to increase RoF but it depends how much money you want to sink into your gun and your technical capabilities as you may be better off sending it to a decent tech.

• Supporters

agree with all of the above, my tuppence worth, last month played my first game for nearly a year, recent downturn in health really screwed with my mobility, think osteo arthritis throughout my bod, spinal problems & plantar fasciitis in both heels, plus some balance issues & other symptoms that were initially diagnosed as potentially two forms of cancer, as you can imagine its been a real mindf#ck.

(NOT LOOKING FOR A PITY PARTY, NO COMMENTS PLEASE)

Thankfully, for the time being the big C has been ruled out but being monitored, & the mobility issues are being addressed with stuff like steroid joint injections & a regime of non-opiate painkillers, & its helping.

anyway, back on track, so I tentatively ventured out to bush valley airsoft, under new management by SEO.

one possible good thing I found out during the briefing was its a single shot only site, the only exception being support guns allowed to do short-ish bursts.

with this in mind I took out the m14 socom, stock gun but very good range & accuracy as standard, & while the younger players were racing off to intercept the enemy, I quietly tactically bimbled off on a parallel course, & picked off anybody that came within range, & I gotta say what a great day I had, many many kills & not many deaths, & the m14 was so good that I was asked a number of times "what kinda sniper is that" & even a Marshall commented that a group I had pinned down for ages asked him "wtf is he using", meaning me lol.

all from being sneaky with a gun running at 340fps.

My whole point is, with this crap hanging over me, thought I might have to consider quitting if I couldn't keep up with the pace, but changing my role (& mindset), to something vaguely resembling the bastard lovechild of a sniper/dmr, all if a sudden the game is at my pace.

Adapt & Overcome buddy.

I’m thinking upgrade my trigger response and barrel and gearbox /motor and take an acog sight so I can actually see shit

7 hours ago, FreeFrag.UK said:

compared to those who like to run off like a gazelle with a firework up its bum

this is me :D 

Sorry for the health problems, EDS is no fun, let along a fucked neck

I find DMR needs you to move more than you realise in airsoft due to natural range of our gear. 

Support gunning might be better, though need to be smart to avoid weight.

• Supporters
3 hours ago, _stylian_ said:

Support gunning might be better, though need to be smart to avoid weight.

if he could lay his hands on an old Star M249 he'd be sorted, lighter than the average m4 & loads of fun, unfortunately they're rarer than rocking horse poop these days, generally all the support guns are full metal (except maybe the g36 variant ?).

• Supporters
19 hours ago, AK47frizzle said:

My custom aeg with ZCI hop, barrel and maple leaf macaron bucking and a flathop nub (£30-ish in total) will shoot 65-70m with a 0.25g.  Competitively, someone with springy legs like me will cover [the extra 15-20m] in 2-3 secs easily .

What if he's not up against you, but against the 90% of players with shagged out rentals, Matilda Mis-Hopped, Harry Hangback or the Tactical Ambler Society?

Throw that same £30 hop+barrel setup into a £75 CYMA M4 or AK from TaiwanGun shooting at their stock 400fps+ and file a bit off the fire selector and you've got a cheap DMR.  It'll be slinging BBs just a little further than most of the AEGs out there, and the rest is down to your play style.

6 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

What if he's not up against you, but against the 90% of players with shagged out rentals, Matilda Mis-Hopped, Harry Hangback or the Tactical Ambler Society?

Throw that same £30 hop+barrel setup into a £75 CYMA M4 or AK from TaiwanGun shooting at their stock 400fps+ and file a bit off the fire selector and you've got a cheap DMR.  It'll be slinging BBs just a little further than most of the AEGs out there, and the rest is down to your play style.

IMO, it's not a good idea to play with the idea that everyone else is going to play like garbage. Sure, there are a lot of shit rentals that don't know what they are doing. But, I don't think it's fun or competitive to solely bash on these kids that don't know any better. Should always assume the worst imo.

36 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

Good point but not at my site trust me even the first time kiddies and their dad turned up with tm recoil guns lol I was very outgunned and out healthed to add lol I ended up being a belly crawling medic lol

I was lucky to be on the team with the aa12 full auto shotgun firing 3 shots at a time lol the other team just had £700 worth of snipers 500 pounds worth of vector and more pimped m4s than I could count would just like to compensate for where my body fails me somewhat 

• Supporters
38 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

Tactical Ambler Society?

Who's he talking about 🤔

😜

1 minute ago, Tackle said:

Who's he talking about 🤔

😜

You and me 😂

Dmr isn’t nesisary but I want to be able to have some sort of edge with decent response Acurracy over range ect and probs get myself a x4 scope lol but still idk where to start with upgrading a gun

• Supporters

If it ain't broke, don't fix it !

seriously, if it's all working quite well then leave it be, save your money & put it towards something else, maybe an m14 like I keep harping on about lol.

& in the meantime work on your fieldcraft & mindset, embrace the sneakymotherf#ckerness, feel the smug inner peace that comes from "killing" with one or two well placed shots.

out of interest, what site is your local/regular that you've referred to ?

30 minutes ago, Raytd said:

You and me 😂

Dmr isn’t nesisary but I want to be able to have some sort of edge with decent response Acurracy over range ect and probs get myself a x4 scope lol but still idk where to start with upgrading a gun

• Supporters
12 hours ago, AK47frizzle said:

But, I don't think it's fun or competitive to solely bash on these kids that don't know any better

But most of them are having fun too.  My point is that you don't need the bestest gun on the field to enjoy yourself.

I do take your point that a 400fps DMR isn't going to have a big range advantage over a well set up 350fps BB hose, but then neither does my ropey 500fps MB-03.  Still puts a smile on my face to play differently from run-and-gun though.  For just over £100 plus a scope, OP could give DMRing a try, to see if he wants to go down that route.

Yeah I’m very torn as I want to upgrade what guns I like and streamline my collection to just one or two godly guns lol

Thing is I do love my oa15 it works so well sadly tho not well enough to compete w the tms ect it has a slower rate of fire and also the shots seem to travel very slow 

Apocalypse Airsoft in Kent Saturday games are small but fast paced I love them but Sunday games your talking easy 200+ peeps show up 600acres of land ect Im no regular (yet) but I’ve only been able to play Saturdays the last few years 

Saying that however the gun makes up for speed with accuracy and relyability it’s a very good gun just would be cool to make it even better idk

ok So I’m thinking hi torque motor fast gear set 

Brand new hop up and barrel and whatever I need to increase trigger response @Tackle

@Rogerborg 

now im crap w knowledge of parts what would be the best recommended part lists y’all fellers could suggest

Also will just get an acog and play a flexible roll because Saturday games aren’t using all 600 acres lol we only use small areas for skirmishing game modes like cap and hold bomb defence ect

• Supporters
3 hours ago, Raytd said:

ok So I’m thinking hi torque motor fast gear set 

Brand new hop up and barrel and whatever I need to increase trigger response @Tackle

@Rogerborg 

now im crap w knowledge of parts what would be the best recommended part lists y’all fellers could suggest

While I've rebuilt plenty of guns/gearboxes, I've little knowledge on what makes x faster or y more powerful etc, as for trigger response, nothing I've got doesn't respond, I.e. fire, the instant I pull the trigger, yep I'm sure if throw a load of money in to my guns I can maybe get an improvement of say 100th of a second, but I've got better things to do than waste time & money on something that doesn't need fixing lol.

want a faster trigger response, learn to pull your trigger sooner 😜.

Save your money & buy this instead:

https://forums.zeroin.co.uk/forum/classifieds/rifles-smg-s-for-sale/electric-rifles-smg-s/3063606-cyma-m14

p.s. No offense but in the scheme of things, apocalypse is shite, facilities & site layout is ok, but the organization is terrible & cheating rife.

i appreciate you've had some ok games when numbers are low, but there are much better run sites in Kent worth trying, & I'm sure some other members will back me up on this, apocalypse has been slated before.

IMG_4488.JPG

• Supporters
2 hours ago, Tackle said:

Gnnnnnn... must! Not! Ask! Seller! For! Postage! Costs!

Damn youuuuuu.

18 hours ago, Rogerborg said:

Damn youuuuuu.

21 hours ago, Tackle said:

While I've rebuilt plenty of guns/gearboxes, I've little knowledge on what makes x faster or y more powerful etc, as for trigger response, nothing I've got doesn't respond, I.e. fire, the instant I pull the trigger, yep I'm sure if throw a load of money in to my guns I can maybe get an improvement of say 100th of a second, but I've got better things to do than waste time & money on something that doesn't need fixing lol.

want a faster trigger response, learn to pull your trigger sooner 😜.

Save your money & buy this instead:

https://forums.zeroin.co.uk/forum/classifieds/rifles-smg-s-for-sale/electric-rifles-smg-s/3063606-cyma-m14

p.s. No offense but in the scheme of things, apocalypse is shite, facilities & site layout is ok, but the organization is terrible & cheating rife.

i appreciate you've had some ok games when numbers are low, but there are much better run sites in Kent worth trying, & I'm sure some other members will back me up on this, apocalypse has been slated before.

IMG_4488.JPG

Thanks for that bro I’ll be buying it for sure 

18 hours ago, Rogerborg said:

Damn youuuuuu.

I have a particular set of skills so If u do I will find you .... and I will kill you ....

Archived