Assistance in finding L85A2 optics/rail

FreeFrag.UK
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi all,

At the moment I'm looking at a couple of options for my L85A2, originally I had it set up in what is referred to as the "Afghan spec" but I have ran into an issue with my repro ACOG (no surprise eh?) and as such I'm assessing a few different options.

My first pick would be to try and locate the Brügger & Thomet SA80 rail, however, I suspect that this will be akin to tracking down rocking horse poo along and if I am successful I suspect a second mortgage would be required to cover the expenditure. Admittedly if I could find one for a half decent price it would be top of my wishlist and an ASAP purchase.

Alternatively I'd like to find a decent repro ACOG which can actually be zeroed and which will hold said zero while also accepting a red dot mount. I'd also go for the right model ACOG but with a red dot as opposed to a magnified optic.

My final option would be to swap out to a repro Elcan Specter.

If anyone can actually vouch for a good quality optic or provide some assistance in resolving this issue I'd be truly grateful. I imagine like most people airsoft optics just seem to be a complete crap shoot. While I admit repro sights are never going to be as good as the real thing (I'm not that naive) you'd think for the cost of some of these products that they'd at least provide something half decent. I accept the fact that most repro sights drain batteries like a man who has just crossed a desert and walking straight into the first pub but there really needs to be some give.

Anyway, any help is appreciated. I'm going back to my digging to see what I can find.

I don't know where to get the B&T rail. There are server adapter rails available for the L85 that are not hard to get hold of.

Ant--supplies do a basic medium length one for £20. That adapts to the standard weaver.

https://www.ant-supplies.uk/rails-and-adapters/sa80-sight-rail-adapter.html

It should take the pressure off finding a real one for the time been.

• Supporters

Rgr, to be honest I've never looked for one, there may be like.. single figured, in public hands (at a guesstimate) but they're probably owned by the sort of people who collect quite rabidly and never let things go.. not that I'm one to talk 🤣  But anyway you'd need to start scouring places that are very specific to real british militaria.  Sadly I don't have any recommendations right now but I'd imagine there are groups on FB for people who collect the parts and accessories for SLRs and L85s that can be legally owned (mags, BFAs, bayonets etc).  Maybe also groups for collectors of de-acs and for people who do reenactment.

@TheFull9 - Cheers, I'll have to get on FB (as much as it pains me) and see what I can find. I know it's very unlikely but who knows, I may get lucky.

I have seen a handful of these pop up, and they are indeed about. Not exactly rocking horse shinoloa but at the same time not cheap, I should of kept hold of the one I had but alas passed it on as I was going through a ''do I really need/use that'' phase, ill keep my eyes open for one.

In the mean time, get yourself to militaria fairs war and peace would be a good start if you are able too.  Also have a butchers at the various deactivated weapons dealer sites, some bits pop up for reasonable prices from time to time. 

@The broadsman - Thank you, good to know. I'll have to see what fairs operate within travel distance for me as I'm a little limited on the distances I can cover. Do you have any idea what sort of price they fetch? Just so I can brace myself 😂

Archived