Damn batteries/ affect performance

Jimbodini42
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi

Sorry for the ignorance but just don’t understand all fears and “Do X” with li-po batteries and find it all very confusing. 

Looking for a quick, basic answer to the following:

Firstly context with photos- 

Not touched my batteries or AEG for that matter since around January. 

I go on a stag do early Saturday morning and we go to an airsoft site Sunday. 

I’ve put two batteries on charge tonight (Friday), each one taking less than an hour. One battery had been charged in Jan but not used. One had been charged and not used. Got another battery I haven’t charged tonight and it had been charged and used in January (not to depletion). 

By charge I’ve kept them on charge until light indicates fully charged (constant green as opposed to flashing). 

Will I need to stick all batteries again on charge Saturday? 

Should I have done this whole process differently? 

I’ve then got questions regarding batteries and AEG performance but don’t really need answers to that yet and I’ve got a stag do to pack for! 

Many thanks and regards 

tA7ouTw.jpg

3Wmt8rK.jpg

203C0953-CB24-4360-BA99-2BCE459DA11E.jpeg

Also P.S I really wish I’d not included my bare-ass legs in those photos 😳🤦🏻‍♂️

• Mostly Retired Moderators
7 hours ago, Jimbodini42 said:

Also P.S I really wish I’d not included my bare-ass legs in those photos 😳 🤦🏻‍♂️

LewisD your friendly-photoshopping-moderator TO THE RESCUE!

• Supporters

They'll hold their charge fine, no need to charge again.

A lipo checker is a great thing to have, i use an etronix battery doctor, shows you the individual cell voltages and you can tell at a glance if its charged or not. Well worth the peace of mind.

• Supporters

Just get an imax type charger , me personally haven’t a Scooby-Doo about cell balance and all that gumph so I got one and just wap the batts on that and let it do all the work ! 👍😂

12 hours ago, L3wisD said:

LewisD your friendly-photoshopping-moderator TO THE RESCUE!

Haha 😂 

cheers gents! 

All i I can spell atm... 😂😂

• 2 weeks later...

Hey,

So finally recovered from back to back stag dos and got my head right! 

Firstly, thank you for the quick responses and sound advice. 100% correct and the batteries worked fine. 

Can I please ask what does an imax charger do that my charger doesn’t? 

I only used one battery at the day as I spent a lot of time hung over, laying down and getting quite a lot of sneaky one shot kills. I didn’t bother with the last game as I had an inkling that the battery was getting to its ‘bottom end’ and running low so thought better to just take it out and not put other one in. So I have two batteries that were left fully charged and one that was charged and used but not fully depleted - should I charge them all the day before next skirmish?? Do I just keep on charge until light changes and that’ll be fully charged? Is this good for my battery health?? 

Also so the question I didn’t have time to ask - do LiPos offer the same levels of performance even if not fully charged/ have been used and running to depletion? If not I don’t understand why they’ve become more popular than NimH which certainly seemed safer?? 

Sorry if asking some stupid questions but I see conflicting information! 

The site we went to was Shock and Awe in north Wales - will be writing a review soon. 

Once again, thanks and kindest regards all

• Supporters
6 hours ago, Jimbodini42 said:

what does an imax charger do that my charger doesn't

Allows you to set the charging rate, shows you the actual battery voltage, tells you if the battery is gubbed, measures the capacity of the battery if you do a discharge / charge cycle, doesn't explode and set fire to your house while doing all that.

To be honest, charging lipos is actually relatively easy compared to nimh.  If you've only got a couple of lipo batteries then a basic balance charger like that will probably not gub them, until the inevitable explosion and fiery death.

However, if you end up with a collection of batteries, then an imax B6 can do lipo (including little JST 7.4V cells and 3.7V 18650 stylee with some creative use of clips and magnets), nimh, even lead acids if you fancy charging your car battery up.  It's a little intimidating at first, but gives you a lot of control and information.

Don't run lipo's to depletion, you MAY be able to rescue them but don't count on it. The advantages of Lipo are  the weight which is lower than nimh , the ability to deliver much higher current when demanded and higher capacity in the same size package as nimh.

http://r.search.aol.com/_ylt=AwrEzeLerzpd7G8Ax5UCCmVH;_ylu=X3oDMTBzN20xdGhuBHNlYwNzcgRzbGsDdmlkBHZ0aWQDBGdwb3MDNTE-/RV=2/RE=1564155998/RO=11/RU=https%3a%2f%2fwww.youtube.com%2fwatch%3fv%3dVcpASvOZ-yA/RK=0/RS=KRL42wnb2Olx4EYcEuC_CCK79ns-

And this is why we treat them with respect

Archived