Utility of gas rifles on the field

Mantle
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

@AK47frizzle

To say you average AEG weighs in at 2.25KG is an understatement.

One only has to look on websites like WGC and Redwolf to see it's not the case.

In my experience (GHK for GBBR's and TM's/G&P/VFC for AEG's) The total weight difference when you add in 5 mags is probably 1-1.2KG. 

Is this a "much heavier" proposition? 

To me no, but I can respect your opinion if you think it is.

You have your views and I have mine.

I will not add anything further to this topic.

This is all you need to know.  The last three games I have been to I have taken 3 AKMs.  An E&L, an LCT and my GHK.  How many mags did the E&L and LCT get through? None.  How many for the GHK? Well, I went through 1000rds of .3 and 1000rds of .36 = roughly 50 mag refills.  And I loved every single one.

A JG g36c is 2.7kg according to a couple of websites. A short, compact, plastic gun. 

People take bipods off the end of sniper rifles because they don’t use it and it’s weight at the end of the rifle. I had a WE p90 and that was heavy in terms of weight, but it felt lighter than an outstretched pistol when shouldering. Length makes much more difference than weight. Go take a broom handle and hold it out horizontally and see how long you can hold it there for. 

A few gas mags on a plate carrier is nothing. All the weight is distributed evenly. Running a radio or a hydration pack can add KG’s to a loadout. 

The being outgunned debate when comparing GBB to AEG is quite honestly the deadest of beaten horses.

Without a doubt, GBBr's shoot further and straighter than all but the most tuned and upgraded of AEG's and HPA (within it's FPS/Joule Class)

less than £40 of barrel/bucking upgrades to something such as a WE G36 (which is low on the GBBR price spectrum) will make it shoot better than a TM recoil or AEG out the box.

The only factor stopping you from being outgunned is the same as using an AEG, not having someone watch your back and not watching how you play.

I and a friend exclusively run GBBR's, with ~30 per mag, we couldn't believe how well we managed to do when playing.

It is all about how you play

• All it takes is a single BB to get a hit. (with 30 in a mag, that's really not that little unless you are playing a 50v50 game) 
  • Especially using a higher weight BB, The only thing stopping you from 1 tapping someone is that the person on the other end doesn't want to take the hit.
  • If you can bring your sight or dot up to the same point every time, your gun is zeroed, and know that everytime those bb's you shoot will send them in the exact place you point them then you have nothing to worry about. (Get yourself a high quality Dot sight or Iron sight setup)
  • If all of a sudden all hi cap magazines disappeared from the earth, It would change the style of play dramatically (try a 30/real round cap and see how you start to play)

54 minutes ago, Wo1f said:

A JG g36c is 2.7kg according to a couple of websites. A short, compact, plastic gun. 

People take bipods off the end of sniper rifles because they don’t use it and it’s weight at the end of the rifle. I had a WE p90 and that was heavy in terms of weight, but it felt lighter than an outstretched pistol when shouldering. Length makes much more difference than weight. Go take a broom handle and hold it out horizontally and see how long you can hold it there for. 

A few gas mags on a plate carrier is nothing. All the weight is distributed evenly. Running a radio or a hydration pack can add KG’s to a loadout. 

It's why I said "partially", because I know the moment of the weight bears more significance.

Also, those gas mags aren't just nothing. If they were replaced with AEG mags, I can guarantee that anybody would feel more agile. Weight doesn't just disappear even if it's distributed evenly. 

Look, (addressing no one in particular) ya'll are allowed to say that you like and prefer the weight and fun of GBBRs. No one is saying you can't. But, there's no reason to say that X GBBR is better than Y AEG for Z reason when statistically, it's not true at all. AEGs are just the easiest, cheapest, and most effective tools for the job, currently.

Why can’t I say my gbbr is better? It’s more reliable than a few AEG’s I’ve had. (Not replaced a broken part yet). It’s usually more accurate than 95% of what’s on my field in its category. It almost always out ranges everything on my field in its category. Performance aside it’s more rugged. As much as I rate Tm recoils their receivers (like krytac) are made of cheese. Mine is rock solid and cerakoted as standard. Not a scratch on it in over a year of playing. In terms of shooting the enemy team what advantage does an ARP9 or whatever have over it?

AEG’s like combat machines are more popular in the same way Vauxhall corsa’s are more popular than Ferrari’s. One is an expensive, high performance machine that requires skill to utilise and the other is cheap and cheerful. Gets the job done. 

The weight hasn’t effected me and the round count hasn’t. They’re the only two ‘disadvantages’ anyone can list. That and cost, but one person not being able to afford something isn’t a disadvantage against the product. 

I've run both AEG and GBB, and I've loved both equally.

AEG's are simple and fun, no doubt about that. You've got hundreds of rounds and can just lay down a wall of them if you need/want to.
GBBR's though lend very well to players who're a little more conserved with their shots and are after that little touch or realism in their games. You rarely bother auto firing a GBBR, but rather take your time picking your shots and making the rounds count; while still able to lay down a burst if you need to. That and the extra bit of weight you tend to get and the kick, wether subtle or hard, can be a very enjoyable playstyle over an AEG, even if doing the same capacity mags.

On the cooldown issue. Say you're running four or five magazines. By the time you've gone through them, they'll have already started warming up while you're reloading them.
Taken care of, and depending on the maker/magazine, I've seen some M4's get 2-3 full mags out of a single gas charge even after rapid fire and reloads, more when allowed to settle and warm.

Biggest con honestly is yes, in the colder months/weather; you're going to lose power, and it can get a bit costly in gas over the long run; but this ain't a cheap sport, anyway xD

I’ve never had much success with running GBB rifles. I adopted a couple of early versions for WW2 games, Marushin M2 Carbine, and a Hudson M3 Grease Gun. Running 8mm BB’s. Both really bad leakers! But fun to use when working.

Im sure these issues still exist with newer models, I like the idea of them. But in practice there’s so many variables that they aren’t something I will go back to.

As much as I like my tm recoil I keep thinking of switching to the mws. Then again I find myself using my rifle less and less.

1 hour ago, heroshark said:

As much as I like my tm recoil I keep thinking of switching to the mws. Then again I find myself using my rifle less and less.

Do it 😎

I got a tippmann co2 rifle with 80 round co2 mags ive set it to semi auto to use it as a dmr . Its light and has a good range , mag is as light as an aeg , reload is as simple as pump in 80 bbs and drop in a 12g co2 slap in the mag and you are good to go. Most players with aegs dont use semi so end up firing 30 rounds to hit anything . If you are able to pick one up go for it mags are cheap and co2 works ok even up here in scotland

Thanks for all the responses guys, I really appreciate it! Think I'll give it a shot, sounds like a fun challenge.

Just one last query, do you carry a bottle of gas with you on the field or leave it at the safe zone? 

I leave my gas at the safe zone. Even on extended milsim games, I’ll leave that stuff at a base and I usually carry 4 or 5 rifle mags with me, plus 4 pistol mags. 

I leave mine in the safe zone. 4-5 Mws mags hold enough gas for probably 500 rounds between them. That and 4 pistol mags means I’ve loads of gas and ammo for the day

Archived