2 tone stickers instead of paint

Sean84
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

As above, I’m aware of retailers placing vinyl stickers on guns to sell them as 2 tone and normally it wouldn’t bother me either way, but I’m after a particular gun that if painted would ruin its original design. So I’m wondering if anyone knows any retailers that offer the vinyl service when buying? I’m still a month away from my UKARA and I’m desperate for this gun beforehand. 

I know of one retailer but they don’t sell the gun I’m after, but they are looking into getting one in for me. 

Please no “wait for the UKARA” or negative comments.

Thanks all!

• Supporters

It's not something I've ever heard of to be fair. Which retailer have you seen?

• Head Moderator

May help to actually specify the brand and model of the gun you are after.  Then you may get recommendations for retailers that sell that particular gun, as opposed to just a retailer which does vinyl covers.

I have seen American sellers for magazine camo stickers, not for a gun.

3 minutes ago, Lozart said:

It's not something I've ever heard of to be fair. Which retailer have you seen?

I can’t remember the name of it now, I think it’s in Stevenage 

2 minutes ago, Jedi_Master said:

May help to actually specify the brand and model of the gun you are after.  Then you may get recommendations for retailers that sell that particular gun, as opposed to just a retailer which does vinyl covers.

I have seen American sellers for magazine camo stickers, not for a gun.

It’s the specna arms sa-s03 m40a5 

• Supporters
5 minutes ago, Sean84 said:

I can’t remember the name of it now, I think it’s in Stevenage 

Combat UK/Only Airsoft?

• Mostly Retired Moderators

....it's only a month. Surely you can't be that desperate to own it? It's not like it's being discontinued or anything.

Waiting a month and getting an unmolested gun must be better than being impatient and stripping neon paint off a new gun?

21 minutes ago, L3wisD said:

....it's only a month. Surely you can't be that desperate to own it? It's not like it's being discontinued or anything.

Waiting a month and getting an unmolested gun must be better than being impatient and stripping neon paint off a new gun?

Hence the sticker question and not a how to get paint off question

24 minutes ago, Lozart said:

Combat UK/Only Airsoft?

Might be only airsoft...

I have never heard of that practice from any shop and I certainly wouldn't buy from anyone who did. 

Wait the month, we all had to do it. 

• Mostly Retired Moderators
6 minutes ago, Asomodai said:

I have never heard of that practice from any shop

Nor me. And I've spent the last twenty minutes looking and can't find anyone who does.

Again, I wouldn't use those retailers either.

Why wouldn’t you use them? I may well wait the month. I’m just thinking out loud when I asked the question. If someone can offer the item I want and the only difference is that they don’t paint the guns then I don’t really see an issue.

• Supporters
8 minutes ago, Sean84 said:

Why wouldn’t you use them? I may well wait the month. I’m just thinking out loud when I asked the question. If someone can offer the item I want and the only difference is that they don’t paint the guns then I don’t really see an issue.

I think the issue is if your putting stickers on instead of paint (which will be a LOT easier to get off than paint , all you’d need is a hairdryer to warm the vinyl up and it’s off) then your attempting to find a way of skirting around the VCR bill which paints the retailer as a rather unscrupulous one and NOT one we’d want involved in our sport .😡

2 hours ago, Musica said:

any reputable retailer wouldn't do this. The whole point of paint is to abide by the law.

The other point is that the retailer is liable for prosecution on the sale of a RIF, so if they are just putting stickers / vinyl on to bypass the law then why bother?  Just sell the RIF.

Either way they are looking at the same fine

If a buyer removes paint then they are committing a different offence of modifying an IF into a RIF.  (Little chance of prosecution unless they make an idiot of themselves, but still an offence)

3 hours ago, Sean84 said:

The ultimate problem is that if as we feel the seller is failing to comply with the VCRA then that’s their problem, but if it is valid then it’s your problem when removing stickers/vinyl to modify an IF to a RIF

well thats down to the retailer at the end of the day. Up to them if they want to break any rules. And yes its up to me if i want to remove stickers.

As above, please just answers for my original question if anyone has them. I know the rules/law and dont need those types of answers. Thanks

The short answer is that no reputable retailer is going to sell a gun that has been two-toned using stickers of any kind, vinyl or otherwise.  If you don't believe this then please feel free to try calling a few and see how far you get.

Basically you have two options: buy properly painted two-toned from a reputable shop or wait and get your UKARA.

Do NOT try and "bend" the rules, sports/hobbies like this have a hard enough time already without others trying to wilfully damage the already fragile truce with the law that we currently have.

If you don't believe how on a knife edge we are with this hobby then I suggest you search out the thread about the guy in Scotland who was arrested after posting skirmish photos (plainly labelled as such) on FB.

If you must have it without two-tone then just learn some patience and wait, we all had to do it and it's being open, honest and abiding by the law that helps protect us (most of the time).

Just seems like you’re trying to skirt around the law to be honest. That won’t receive a positive response here. 

You already know the correct course of action, take it. 

• Supporters
6 hours ago, Sean84 said:

I’m aware of retailers placing vinyl stickers on guns to sell them as 2 tone

giphy.gif&f=1

6 hours ago, Sean84 said:

I’m wondering if anyone knows any retailers that offer the vinyl service when buying?

You tell us, you're the one who's "aware of it".

It's just another random boltie that will need to be gutted and rebuilt to be more effective than a rental AEG.  If you don't have the patience to wait to buy it, how are you going to have the patience to use it effectively in play?

Archived