Importing RIFs to the UK

theghosthost16
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

5 minutes ago, rocketdogbert said:

Zero issues getting the RIF I ordered through customs from the US 👍🏻

@rocketdogbert I've only imported once from the US, never had a problem either - was back in 2009 though.  Did you ever get back an answer from border force regarding how many requests they made for UKARA info?  

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, ak2m4 said:

@rocketdogbert I've only imported once from the US, never had a problem either - was back in 2009 though.  Did you ever get back an answer from border force regarding how many requests they made for UKARA info?  

I never asked them lol, but I suspect it’s zero

I was lucky about two years ago. Due to UKARA no longer sending out expiry notices, my site didnt renew a bunch of us, and we weren't aware of this.

While out of date, I purchased a UMP from Gunfire in Poland, gave them UKARA.  Parcel arrived with number very clearly on the address label, no problems.

I can only assume that Customs isn't checking every single number on every single package and I was lucky not to have my RIF siezed.

1 hour ago, John_W said:

I was lucky about two years ago. Due to UKARA no longer sending out expiry notices, my site didnt renew a bunch of us, and we weren't aware of this.

While out of date, I purchased a UMP from Gunfire in Poland, gave them UKARA.  Parcel arrived with number very clearly on the address label, no problems.

I can only assume that Customs isn't checking every single number on every single package and I was lucky not to have my RIF siezed.

Since UKARA was setup by UK businesses to sell RIF's here in the UK, surely providing customs with access to the UKARA database would only hurt their sales in the long run?  Does HM Customs actually have access?  Do a Google and it's not clear, some people say they do, some say they don't.  There's no official mention on the UKARA website.  I've got a few friends who work in Customs IT and they have never heard of it lol.  

• Supporters
On 28/07/2019 at 12:41, ak2m4 said:

Since UKARA was setup by UK businesses to sell RIF's here in the UK, surely providing customs with access to the UKARA database would only hurt their sales in the long run? 

Indeed, and if I were a UK retailer paying £300+ a year for access to it, I'd be telling them in no uncertain terms to stop giving access to Customs and to private buyers calling them up, because both of those are costing them sales.

Does HM Customs actually have access?  Do a Google and it's not clear, some people say they do, some say they don't.  There's no official mention on the UKARA website.  I've got a few friends who work in Customs IT and they have never heard of it lol.  

http://ukara.org.uk/#privacy

" The system can also be accessed on an individual look up basis by the UK Boarder Agency [sic] to allow player imports of RiFs & 24/7 Intelligence department, Hampshire Police also in reference to imports "

I put in that FOI request to Boarder... I mean, Border Force. 

"We have established that we do not hold the information which you have requested.  The 
Home Office does not hold data on verification checks made on the importation of realistic 
imitation firearms into the UK.  Each instance is dealt with on its own merits and 
information on checks conducted are held on separate manual records. "

Things that make you go "Hmmm."

5 minutes ago, John_W said:

So it seems if I put "UKARA Number 5318809" it would get through customs unless it was singled out for special attention...

It's possible.  Not very scientific but in order to test the theory people would need to start putting incorrect UKARA information on their packages and see what happens 🙂  Personally I don't have a UKARA number.  I do need some samples from China so may try

• Supporters
3 hours ago, John_W said:

So it seems if I put "UKARA Number 5318809" it would get through customs unless it was singled out for special attention...

I'd note that attempting that would be:

1) A criminal offence for importing without a defence.

2) A separate charge of fraud by false representation.

3) And if you stuck to that story after an investigation had begun, you'd be up for perverting the course of justice, for which custody is assumed.

6 hours ago, Rogerborg said:

I'd note that attempting that would be:

1) A criminal offence for importing without a defence.

2) A separate charge of fraud by false representation.

3) And if you stuck to that story after an investigation had begun, you'd be up for perverting the course of justice, for which custody is assumed.

You don't do irony and never owned a 1980s calculator then?

• Supporters
17 hours ago, John_W said:

You don't do irony and never owned a 1980s calculator then?

I had to make do with a slide rule, and you've still got the number wrong. :P

1 hour ago, Rogerborg said:

I had to make do with a slide rule, and you've still got the number wrong. :P

Numbers valid ..... not for UKARA / VCRA purposes, but a valid 80s number

Though its a rubbish number for a juvenile 80s teenager

Add 218199

• 4 weeks later...

I've imported 3 guns from Austria recently with just a BAC number, no issues at all

Archived