Importing RIFs to the UK

theghosthost16
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

My buddy in the US got the package back and he said it had a note on it simply saying "it just said contents prohibited by receiving country so return to sender", what's up with that? even if it were true, which it isn't, when it got to UK customs and they didn't find a license number anywhere THEN I assume they would do something - but not before actually leaving the USA, so what gives?

There was a SCAR-H, a 1911, 3x master mike 40mm's, some magazines, plate carrier/pistol holster and some other misc stuff, nothing like gas cans that would be prohibited. Any advice? Even when I get my PASS number and have my buddy put that on the box, like, how do US customs know that registration number is legit or not, surely the staff at the customs don't have access to the database in the UK to check if the recipient has a license or not? 

Anyone got any ideas?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, paradoxum said:

My buddy in the US got the package back and he said it had a note on it simply saying "it just said contents prohibited by receiving country so return to sender", what's up with that? even if it were true, which it isn't, when it got to UK customs and they didn't find a license number anywhere THEN I assume they would do something - but not before actually leaving the USA, so what gives?

There was a SCAR-H, a 1911, 3x master mike 40mm's, some magazines, plate carrier/pistol holster and some other misc stuff, nothing like gas cans that would be prohibited. Any advice? Even when I get my PASS number and have my buddy put that on the box, like, how do US customs know that registration number is legit or not, surely the staff at the customs don't have access to the database in the UK to check if the recipient has a license or not? 

Anyone got any ideas?

There is a remote possibility that the plate carrier got picked up by an overeager intercepter - there are restrictions on particular military items being exported / imported around.  That’s over doing it

The guns / 40mm shells / magazines might also be the issue

These could do with a note on the export declaration/labels something like “Airsoft RIFs for registered skirmisher 12345”

Even on arrival in the UK if the details aren’t enough you should get a letter saying “You appear to have a RIF addressed to you, is it a RIF, what’s you’re Defence? PS have a customs charge too”

And here I was hoping I'd get lucky and it would just pass through customs smoothly. I mean, they can't check every single package that goes through can they?

Also hoping to avoid customs charges.. and I thought I was being thrifty by buying in the US and having my buddy ship it so I didn't have to get it two-toned.

3 hours ago, paradoxum said:

And here I was hoping I'd get lucky and it would just pass through customs smoothly. I mean, they can't check every single package that goes through can they?

Also hoping to avoid customs charges.. and I thought I was being thrifty by buying in the US and having my buddy ship it so I didn't have to get it two-toned.

My assumption would be a combination of sod's law and customs not recognising the PASS number.

I think further documentation is required. I'd be suprised if it was anything other then the RIF.  Ultimately it is illegal to import a RIF.

Best bet is to get UKARA and inform customs on either side of the border. 

Just a thought, but is everyone overthinking the OP's question?

1.  He doesn't need UKARA registration, which is mainly the defence for buying a RIF.  He already owns one and there is no UK law that says you cannot own a RIF. Even a sub-18 YO can be gifted one.

2.  His situation is really no different than someone overseas coming here to play at a skirmish with their own RIFs.  So long as he books a game at his preferred site prior to his arrival and carries a copy of his booking confirmation he should not be stopped from bringing it in. As he owns a RIF, presumably he has played regularly at home, so can be considered a regular skirmisher.  That is all the proof needed as far as the VCRA is concerned.

3. If he's never skirmished before, but bought a RIF at home because their rules are simpler than ours then I agree with all the previous comments about renting or posting to a UKARA registered member, or maybe even to the preferred site owners.

6 hours ago, RR01 said:

Just a thought, but is everyone overthinking the OP's question?

1.  He doesn't need UKARA registration, which is mainly the defence for buying a RIF.  He already owns one and there is no UK law that says you cannot own a RIF. Even a sub-18 YO can be gifted one.

2.  His situation is really no different than someone overseas coming here to play at a skirmish with their own RIFs.  So long as he books a game at his preferred site prior to his arrival and carries a copy of his booking confirmation he should not be stopped from bringing it in. As he owns a RIF, presumably he has played regularly at home, so can be considered a regular skirmisher.  That is all the proof needed as far as the VCRA is concerned.

3. If he's never skirmished before, but bought a RIF at home because their rules are simpler than ours then I agree with all the previous comments about renting or posting to a UKARA registered member, or maybe even to the preferred site owners.

It has not got as far as U.K. customs

So its a moot point as to whether he has a VCRA defence

The VCRA would still apply on arrival as it is being imported.  It covers both import and sale.  In this case someone in the US has decided it cannot go through

By attempting to evade import/customs charges, he has incurred postage charges twice (unless he managed to get free internal postage), could still get import/ customs charges and possibly due to having private to private postage has found difficulties 

10 hours ago, paradoxum said:

They can check every package if they want to.  But they don’t need to, authorised international carriers do it on behalf of customs.  They judge that from experience based on country of origin, risk etc, how packages look etc.  They don’t even have to open the parcel to look (or even X-ray it). I have had international packages that have never been opened and have been sent VCRA / firearms forms, I think I have only had one package opened in many many years

They can also spot a jackanory customs declaration from miles away

Customs may spot check if they want

Packages may go through X-ray as a matter of routine, dogs may sniff, etc

There are many things 

7 hours ago, GeorgePlaysAirsoft said:

My assumption would be a combination of sod's law and customs not recognising the PASS number.

I think further documentation is required. I'd be suprised if it was anything other then the RIF.  Ultimately it is illegal to import a RIF.

Best bet is to get UKARA and inform customs on either side of the border. 

It did not make it as far as the U.K. 

Therefore it’s irrelevant as to whether they recognised the PASS number.  The process would be to hold onto it and send out a form asking about defences 

My assumption (and it is only that) given the message of 'content prohibited by receiving country' is that they've correctly deduced that it is illegal to import a RIF into the UK and said nah, cba with that!

Likewise with the OP - yea he could import a RIF himself and be ok. Or you could face a bit of a hassle like the other chap. 

Edit:UKARA is common enough - ive never heard of PASS before and im a  boring guy. I have no idea what US customs are like but it would be worth contacting them i think.

7 hours ago, rocketdogbert said:

My RIF has just cleared UK customs, my UKARA is on the box 😎

Can you tell me exactly how you put it on there, where about, any other info included with it etc? was it big and visible? anything to help the next attempt work.

3. If he's never skirmished before, but bought a RIF at home because their rules are simpler than ours then I agree with all the previous comments about renting or posting to a UKARA registered member, or maybe even to the preferred site owners.

I suppose I could ask the local site if I could ship it to them but seems like a hassle. I'll just get a PASS number and put that on and hope next time works.

So the local field uses PASS.

Do I just write like, "REGISTERED VCRA - PASS # = XXXXXXXX"  under the address or something? what specifically should be written? 

Thanks.

I believe UK Customs has access to the UKARA Database? Would best get a UKARA number so they can check it there and then as opposed to back and forth communication problems.

In my experience whenever UK Customs sees a parcel of mine with UKARA written on it they always check it and charge custom charges.

Ordering RIFs from outside of Europe typically ends up being the same price as in Europe once you account for all costs.

3 minutes ago, UKCYukarin said:

I believe UK Customs has access to the UKARA Database? Would best get a UKARA number so they can check it there and then as opposed to back and forth communication problems.

In my experience whenever UK Customs sees a parcel of mine with UKARA written on it they always check it and charge custom charges.

Ordering RIFs from outside of Europe typically ends up being the same price as in Europe once you account for all costs.

PASS is a VCRA number that is recognized too right? because my local place only does PASS not UKARA, I'd have to travel like 4 hours away to somewhere for a UKARA application stamp.

2 hours ago, GeorgePlaysAirsoft said:

If you didnt have any documentation on it all i'm not suprised it was seized!!! 

It still didn’t get far enough for that

he would have got a letter from HMRC/Border Force asking for his defence to justify importing a RIF

It never left America 

1 hour ago, paradoxum said:

So the local field uses PASS.

Do I just write like, "REGISTERED VCRA - PASS # = XXXXXXXX"  under the address or something? what specifically should be written? 

Thanks.

That should do it

But maybe something to relate it to the site running the scheme.  It depends on how PASS is run

41 minutes ago, paradoxum said:

PASS is a VCRA number that is recognized too right? because my local place only does PASS not UKARA, I'd have to travel like 4 hours away to somewhere for a UKARA application stamp.

There is no official scheme

VCRA is the legislation.  The airsoft Defence is the intent to  ‘skirmish at an insured site’

UKARA is the retailers industry scheme and is the best known scheme

Other schemes can be used 

• Supporters
59 minutes ago, paradoxum said:

PASS is a VCRA number that is recognized too right?

I've never heard of it.  Even AirsoftWorld, who will accept "I YAM REEL SCRIMSHER" crayoned on a torn up fag packet, don't seem to list it.

I can't find anything about it, doubtless in part due to their piss poor choice of an acronym.

[UPDATE]

Oh, is this "S.W.A.T. PASS"?  A scheme run by one site, with only one link to it that I can find, which is dead, and with nothing else on the site that mentions the scheme and no phone number or query interface, just a generic web form?

Ask yourself: how is a customs goon even meant to know about that scheme, let alone check it?

[UPDATE TO THE UPDATE]

Hang on, is that the same S.W.A.T. that notionally sell the VTG grenade, but in practice just take your money and then never respond?

Blow me, good luck with that.  You'll need it. :(

25 minutes ago, Tommikka said:

It still didn’t get far enough for that

he would have got a letter from HMRC/Border Force asking for his defence to justify importing a RIF

It never left America 

I know! I said as much in a previous post. It might not be illegal to export a RIF but i don't think its crazy to assume that customs agencies work together to stop illegal imports - espicially when zero documentation was given.

5 hours ago, Rogerborg said:

I've never heard of it.  Even AirsoftWorld, who will accept "I YAM REEL SCRIMSHER" crayoned on a torn up fag packet, don't seem to list it.

I can't find anything about it, doubtless in part due to their piss poor choice of an acronym.

[UPDATE]

Oh, is this "S.W.A.T. PASS"?  A scheme run by one site, with only one link to it that I can find, which is dead, and with nothing else on the site that mentions the scheme and no phone number or query interface, just a generic web form?

Ask yourself: how is a customs goon even meant to know about that scheme, let alone check it?

[UPDATE TO THE UPDATE]

Hang on, is that the same S.W.A.T. that notionally sell the VTG grenade, but in practice just take your money and then never respond?

Blow me, good luck with that.  You'll need it. :(

Whoa holy shit dude. Calm down. I live on the Wirral and that SWAT place is the only one near me, I didn't choose this, I don't know why they don't use UKARA or anything - and if you want to talk to them they respond on their facebook page pretty quickly, why don't you ask them?

Edit: There's a website here for the SWAT PASS:

https://www.swatclan.eu/

"Border patrol know about it. It’s all cleared by border patrol. Like we said in previous messages. ATF are aware of the system we use and it is perfectly fine and we have never had any problems importing from abroad as long as you put your PASS number and a letter stating you are a member of the site and if they need you verifying to contact ourselves."

• Supporters
18 minutes ago, paradoxum said:

Whoa holy shit dude. Calm down

NOAW IM TRIGGARAD!!!!

I have no problems with alternatives to UKARA.  However, a local scheme is by its nature going to be less well known, and the nub of my gist is that you may have to try and find a way to make this information available to the shipping and customs goons at either end.  I still fear (wow such anxiety) that you may be on a hiding to nothing though.  This makes me sad: not happy, nor agitated.

On a personal note, Paul at S.W.A.T. may be responsive on Facebook but he's pretty hard to get hold of once he's got your money for goods that were advertised as in-stock but which turn out to be made-to-order.  Given that multiple people have been fed the excuse that "computer ate it" when they do finally catch up with him, I'd question his competence to run any sort of verification system.

Also: "3. You must have to be registered within a 2-month period and play at least three times within that two months "

The exact opposite of UKARA and the proposal in https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/the-violent-crime-reduction-act-2006-commencement-no-3-order-2007-firearms-measures

"new players must play at least 3 three times in a period of not less than two months"

S.W.A.T. are also apparently "registered with the u.k.a.s.g.b. "united kingdom airsoft site governing body" ", which is puzzling, as the first, last and only mention of any such body that I can find is in the 2006 debate on the 2007 VCRA amendment, and nothing since.

Anyway, I'm now raging hotter than the fire of a thousand suns and almost beyond the capacity for rational thought, but as consciousness slips away from me in a frothing red mist, one last notion remains: perchance you could ask Responsive Paul how he proposes that you use his S.W.A.T. P.A.S.S. scheme to import a RIF from a private US seller?

I really do wish you the best of luck.

I don't know if I'm talking to this 'Paul', but this is what they have to say:

PASS is recognised by the ATF in America and when importing where it asks for you membership number you pop your pass number on there. You will also have to email the supplier asking them to put a note on the parcel with our phone number on incase they need to get intouch with us. PASS is recognised throughout the UK and America and we have never had any issues importing from other countries. - Charli

It will only be imported into the country if you have a defence UKARA or swat PASS either of them will work, but you can only obtain these by playing 3 times.

Border patrol know about it. It’s all cleared by border patrol. Like we said in previous messages. ATF are aware of the system we use and it is perfectly fine and we have never had any problems importing from abroad as long as you put your PASS number and a letter stating you are a member of the site and if they need you verifying to contact ourselves.

Just say I am a member of swat my PASS number to show I am a verified member of the site is SAM .... and if you need to verify these details please call 0151 644 1611. It won’t leave the US without them details. Your lucky it didn’t get destroyed.

It sounds like a PASS number is completely fine, did you even look at the website? https://www.swatclan.eu/

You're spreading some huge FUD here.

• Supporters

You're asking if I looked at the website from which I quoted sections?

170.gif

Well, everything sounds fine then. I'm sure you'll have no problems.

I remember reading about SWAT / PASS few years back.  Seemed like a great idea if implemented across the board but got the feeling that no one was really pushing it in order to get other sites added - my guess it's just used for SWAT sites? whoever/wherever they are......  

Archived