Noob looking for advice

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi everyone hope all is well I am looking for some information on how to get started in airsoft I took my son to the British shooting show last year he came across a airsoft stool and wanted to do airsoft after 5 mins he was 11 at the time but now 12 and still going on about it. So I want to get into it with him but have no idea where to start how it works or what equipment to get any info welcome thanks in advance 

Hello and welcome, you should use the search function. There's a ton of posts on this forum already which will help you :) 

• Supporters

Ahoy and welcome.

First thing you'll need to do is to check out the local sites (where are you?) and see what their policies are regarding minimum ages, and any particular rules that they have in place for youngsters, such as supervision in games, and full face protection.

Then you'll want to play a day as rentals.  The site will provide guns, ammo and most likely some God awful mesh masks, which are the first thing you should think about replacing with your own gear. The Dye i4 mask is generally recommended as a full face solution providing decent protection and visibility.  It's typically advertised as for paintball use, but does the trick for airsoft too.  Many (many) other options are available though.

Other than that, all you'll need are decent boots with ankle support.  No need for camo gear or anything tacticool, unless it tickles your fancy.

Don't rush into buying any other airsoft gear until you've had a chance to play and try out other players' gear - we're typically a friendly lot and keen to share our toys.

How it works is pretty much as you'd expect.  A gritty military simulation with realistic simulated firearms hide and seek with toy guns.  Marshals will split you into teams, issue objectives, nobody listens, and you sling plastic BBs at each other.  If you're hit, you shout "hit" and then do whatever the site rules say that you do.  You can take it as seriously or as frivolously as you like, and spend as much as you like, or... well, not as little, but you don't have to go crazy.  Even the cheapest £75 CYMA M4 and AKs will put BBs in the direction that you're pointing.  If you end up playing indoors or in a CQB site, you can even have fun with cheap gas pistols and springer shotguns.  It's all good.

Archived