First world airsoft problems (Vector owner edition)

doa88
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I picked up a second hand Krytac Vector AEG off of Used Airsoft a while back. I’ve skirmished it a few times now and I love it, but I have a gripe with it and I don’t know what to do.

The gun I picked up has the extended barrel and associated “defiance” mock suppressor. It’s great for the outdoor site I play at, it shoots at about 320 FPS and has decent range and accuracy. However when I play CQB indoors it’s way too long and I can’t put a tracer on it. (I like tracer rounds, they’re shiny.)

I have thought about swapping the barrel for a shorter one and getting a “tactical” flash hider for when I’m not using the tracer, but then I’d loose all the advantages of the extended barrel. I don’t really want to be swapping the barrel over every time play indoors and outdoors ( zero tech skills ) 

Im not sure if a tracer unit exists that would fit over the extended barrel? 

Currently considering buying another gun for indoor play, (the G&G arp 556 has caught my eye) but i can’t help feeling like that’s just a bit extravagant to be honest.

So yeah, don’t know what to do really. I’m not really sure what result I’m expecting to get out of posting this here. I suppose I’m holding out for the off chance that someone has a bright idea that can make me happy with the rifle in both scenarios and not result in me having to hide another purchase from my mrs...

Obligatory photo of my gun on a bed attached for lols along with a supposedly comedy photo of my pistol with a cheap skeleton fore-grip on it. #stabilityupgrade #recoilmanagement

84C0125B-9E39-4186-A466-22B4D037FDA1.jpeg

15283A7B-E546-48C4-851C-D6402A9DAFA3.jpeg

• Supporters
41 minutes ago, E21A said:

No real advantage to an extended barrel in airsoft to be honest. Short barrel and tracer 

/thread

I just replaced the 110mm inner barrel on my MP5K with a 250mm, hidden inside a silencer.

The fps went down from 315 to 305 and the consistency was worse.

So the stock barrel went back in at lunch, and all was well again.

Stubby is, er.... lubbly.

1 hour ago, E21A said:

No real advantage to an extended barrel in airsoft to be honest. Short barrel and tracer 

short barrel short tracer winning

Just repeating what's already been said. People I've spoke to and played alongside have had no issues regards range outdoor with the standard short barrel Krytac Vector, so simple solution is get the short barrel and stick a tracer on for CQB indoor. Only other option you have is what you've already said, another gun for your indoor play. If you've the money to spare then by all means, more guns = more options and variety if you can afford them. But you already said you think that's a bit extravagant. Guessing you either have a pretty large airsoft collection or you've a girlfiend/wife/boyfriend/husband/partner/other who considers getting another gun "extravagant" ;)

Thanks for replies all.

Interesting that y’all don’t see the reduction in barrel size as a negative. On the Krytac forums the moderators there say that the extended barrel gives significant benefits in terms of FPS, range and accuracy. 

Well I’m interested enough now. I’ve read elsewhere that a 185mm barrel only “sticks out the end a bit” and that most tracers cover it. I’ve found Prometheus tightbore barrells on the internet for about £50. I quite like the idea that I got from some other thread of buying a second hop unit and fitting the new barrel to that to make swapping in and out a bit easier. I can get krytac hop unit for about £30. 

Only question I have left now is bucking. Anyone know anything about which bucking I could use? 

My girlfriend, wife, boyfriend, husband and partner will all be happier with the somewhat less extravagant option of changing to a smaller barrel. 👍

Man up and make a decision. 

Just tell your partner you are buying another smaller vector. 2 Guns twice the fun. 

You then have another reason to buy additional cqb attachments just for that style of play.

Win win 

15 minutes ago, HaDoKen said:

Man up and make a decision. 

Just tell your partner you are buying another smaller vector. 2 Guns twice the fun. 

You then have another reason to buy additional cqb attachments just for that style of play.

Win win 

I’ve got two hands right? That means I should defiantly have 2 vectors!?

..anyone want to lend me £500?

..bants aside, if anyone has experience of what bucking would work for the Prometheus barrel and the krytac hop-up unit i’d be super grateful to hear about it.  

1 hour ago, doa88 said:

Thanks for replies all.

Interesting that y’all don’t see the reduction in barrel size as a negative. On the Krytac forums the moderators there say that the extended barrel gives significant benefits in terms of FPS, range and accuracy. 

Well I’m interested enough now. I’ve read elsewhere that a 185mm barrel only “sticks out the end a bit” and that most tracers cover it. I’ve found Prometheus tightbore barrells on the internet for about £50. I quite like the idea that I got from some other thread of buying a second hop unit and fitting the new barrel to that to make swapping in and out a bit easier. I can get krytac hop unit for about £30. 

Only question I have left now is bucking. Anyone know anything about which bucking I could use? 

My girlfriend, wife, boyfriend, husband and partner will all be happier with the somewhat less extravagant option of changing to a smaller barrel. 👍

even if  tracer covers it the tracer won't function. Inner barrles need to end before threads start for tracer units to work otherwise the barrel blocks the sensors.

46 minutes ago, doa88 said:

I’ve got two hands right? That means I should defiantly have 2 vectors!?

..anyone want to lend me £500?

Not sure why you would want to use two guns in a manner that shows resistance or disobedience.... although I think you should definitely buy another gun!!! 

I just watched a couple of videos of people taking the vector down. I reckon there’s at least a 90% chance I would fail to get it back together. I can only just about manage to wire a plug. 

Plus ive also now got conflicting info on barrel length and tracer compatibility! 

Confusion reigns, Airsoft is great! 

*Googles Krytac techs in local area*

Thanks for all the help guys. If I do end up swapping the barrel out I’ll post what happened and some pictures just in case someone else has the same query in future. 

Bhaha..Had a go of a GBB Mp7 with a drum mag on the weekend and must admit that it was coolAF.

However, I sh*t myself worrying about getting that pistol you see above back together after I’d cleaned it. There was only one screw involved and a handful of moving parts. I wouldn’t even know where to start trying to modify and maintain a GBB rifle!

I think I’ll stick to batteries for the time being!

Archived