Building a sniper rifle

XukeLho
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hey guys, I'm relatively new to airsoft and can't yet understand what is a good part/fit and what is a bad one.

I've been playing with a MB01 sniper (I chose a cheap one to start with, to see if I liked sniping) and I've been enjoying it so far. And now I would like to move to a better sniper.

But i had the ideia of instead of buying one and spend more money on upgrades, why dont I buy all the parts and assemble them?

I have my eyes set on an SRS Silverback because I'm a big fan of bulpup style guns xD (http://www.centralstrike.com/index.php/snipers/reproducoes/reproducoes/silverback-srs-a1-long-barrel-26-inch-spring-sniper-rifle-black-detail). This is a very expensive gun as you can see.

So like I said, I'm thinking of ordering all the 'upgrades' and build the sniper myself, and this is where I need you guys help.

Can you give me a shopping this of items/upgrades? For it to shoot somewhat as good as an SSG24 (the standard wich all snipers are compared to)

This is what I have so far in my shopping list:

Stock: https://www.evike.com/products/59213/

• Supporters

Sorry to piss on your parade bud but as nice a pipe dream as it is it ain’t gona happen , if you need to ask for a shopping list of everything you’d need to build it then obviously you don’t have the tech skills to build it , so I’m afraid you’d just be throwing your money away .

17 minutes ago, Druid799 said:

Sorry to piss on your parade bud but as nice a pipe dream as it is it ain’t gona happen , if you need to ask for a shopping list of everything you’d need to build it then obviously you don’t have the tech skills to build it , so I’m afraid you’d just be throwing your money away .

To be honest I wouldn't be building it alone but with a friend that has some experience.
This list is more  for crossing references with what he gave and compare, to make sure we make the best possible decisions regarding the items.

I really don't feel like spending 300€ on a VSR-10 and having to spend that same amount of money upgrading it after.

But I do get what you are saying. I defenitly don't have the skills to mount one yet.

• Supporters
55 minutes ago, Druid799 said:

if you need to ask for a shopping list of everything you’d need to build it then obviously you don’t have the tech skills to build it

How can you get the skills without buying some parts and trying them out?

With that attitude, nobody would ever attempt anything, we'd just talk it out.  It'd be like a hobby composed entirely of @Seth_K

• Supporters

https://www.airsoftsniperforum.com/ is where you will need to read and read more.

As @Druid799 said, it needs a lot of experience to build a good sniper rifle. (I was an airsoft techie some years ago for AEGs and I trusted a sniper rifle expert to build mine.)

A good sniper rifle is expensive. There's no way around that.

If you want to build your own, there are a few options:

1. VSR based. Cheap, completely VSR platform, and everything inside must go. The hardest to build.

2. A&K M24. Has lots of goodies already, hopup unit is not VSR compatible, I think it's very hard to find one now.

3. Striker AS02. Cylinder and piston straight to bin, £100 to get the proper ones. Then needs a suppressor and a suppressor adapter, that' an other £25ish.

4. Cyma CM.700. Also comes with 90 degree steel trigger, but plastic piston. Looks decent and is cheap to be a good base.

5. SSG. not that good as it is expensive. Still, good for an out of the box gun.

Honourable mentions:

Chinese M40A3. I think ASG, maybe. VSR-ish internals. Not sure, but people like it. Fine if you don't want to invest much to get an OK gun.

Action Army AAC T10. The plastic piston, spring guide, and sear? is bad, and the fact that AA could have done it with their proper parts, but built it with cheap stuff is annoying. Still, a pretty VSR platform.

No:

Any APS2 platform (most Well rifles), TM L96 and clones, cheap rifles (they are not really compatible with anything), any gun with the feeding ramp.

30 minutes ago, Samurai said:

https://www.airsoftsniperforum.com/ is where you will need to read and read more.

As @Druid799 said, it needs a lot of experience to build a good sniper rifle. (I was an airsoft techie some years ago for AEGs and I trusted a sniper rifle expert to build mine.)

A good sniper rifle is expensive. There's no way around that.

If you want to build your own, there are a few options:

1. VSR based. Cheap, completely VSR platform, and everything inside must go. The hardest to build.

2. A&K M24. Has lots of goodies already, hopup unit is not VSR compatible, I think it's very hard to find one now.

3. Striker AS02. Cylinder and piston straight to bin, £100 to get the proper ones. Then needs a suppressor and a suppressor adapter, that' an other £25ish.

4. Cyma CM.700. Also comes with 90 degree steel trigger, but plastic piston. Looks decent and is cheap to be a good base.

5. SSG. not that good as it is expensive. Still, good for an out of the box gun.

Honourable mentions:

Chinese M40A3. I think ASG, maybe. VSR-ish internals. Not sure, but people like it. Fine if you don't want to invest much to get an OK gun.

Action Army AAC T10. The plastic piston, spring guide, and sear? is bad, and the fact that AA could have done it with their proper parts, but built it with cheap stuff is annoying. Still, a pretty VSR platform.

No:

Any APS2 platform (most Well rifles), TM L96 and clones, cheap rifles (they are not really compatible with anything), any gun with the feeding ramp.

Really cool! Thnks for the pointers

31 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

With that attitude, nobody would ever attempt anything, we'd just talk it out.  It'd be like a hobby composed entirely of @Seth_K

Agree 100%

37 minutes ago, Samurai said:

Why does an AS02 need a suppressor? 

1 hour ago, Rogerborg said:

I put insomniacs to sleep 😉

4 hours ago, XukeLho said:

For it to shoot somewhat as good as an SSG24 (the standard wich all snipers are compared to)

How much crack exactly was smoked before you typed that? Let's just straighten something out. The SSG is not the paramount of success I think you are seeing through your rose tinted spectacles. They perform OK out of the box (usually with far more FPS than they should / is usable on site) and are backed up by a service which refuses to believe it can have a fault.

THE standard in airsoft sniping which you would normally compare to is a VSR10 and even then it is a very variable standard due to the huge amount of combinations you can put together.

Simply, snipers don't come cheap, even the SRS although great out of the box (read better than an SSG) needs upgrades to be brilliant.

They will ultimately all need hours of tweaking to get exactly how you want, even the SSG's to a degree but they are all simple beasts in comparison to AEG's so time spent pulling them apart is time spent well.

A JG BAR 10 is normally a good base, they aren't the cheapest clones but are built relatively well and upgrade parts if bought well don't have to cost the earth. I wont give you a shopping list as all the info is on the Airsoft Sniper Forum but do the research, understand the platforms before you jump in and you'll find yourself not wasting as much cash.

• Supporters
3 hours ago, Rogerborg said:

One would think there’s ever so slightly a difference between up-grading a gun and building one from fecking scratch ! 

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤦‍♂️

Guest DrAlexanderTobacco
7 minutes ago, Druid799 said:

One would think there’s ever so slightly a difference between up-grading a gun and building one from fecking scratch !

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤦‍♂️

E: Nvm misread OP

• Supporters
11 minutes ago, Druid799 said:

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤦‍♂️

What are you talking abou- [clicks OP's link]

Ohhhhhhh.  Heh.  Oops.

OK, I see your thinking, OP.  Why pay for a whole sniper then pay to replace most of it anyway, when you can just buy all the parts that you want up front and throw them together?

Well, it's certainly innovative thinking.  But even if you could find all the parts that you'll need, including the outer barrel, why not start with what you've got?

A 500fps+ spring and aluminium piston and guide will run you under £25.  A TDC mod takes a bit of time and an M5 bolt.  Barrels and rubbers are readily available.

Yes, the SRS bullpup design is neat, but in the end it's just doing the same as every other airsoft toy: puff, spin and point.  You can do that with what you've currently got.

36 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

Yes, the SRS bullpup design is neat, but in the end it's just doing the same as every other airsoft toy: puff, spin and point.  You can do that with what you've currently got.

You mean my MB01 can be transformed to a bullpup? Or you meant that I should upgrade my current sniper?

• Supporters

Have a go at upgrading it.  You've already got a working gun, why not make it better?  You'll find out what works and what doesn't, and some upgrades are pretty cheap.

While you were thinking about it, I just bodged a TDC hop onto my MB-03 from some M4 and M5 bolts, a bit of PVC pipe, and the spring from my safety.  The Poundshop black finish is currently drying. ;)

tdc-mod.png

I'd agree that a good start would be to upgrade your MB01. You will learn a lot and it is a perfectly serviceable platform. I took my MB08 out today for a rare game, I don't often snipe, and it fairly romped through the field with some cracking 'kills' . I have put a lot of work into it making sure the seals are spot on , fitting a decent tight bore doing some work on the bolt for a smooth pull etc. It runs a consistent 2.4 Joules and works very nicely. The 08 is the same platform as your 01 , has a folding stock and some factory upgrades like a metal trigger box and  metal piston but basically the same gun. Do lots of research, building a good sniper is quite involved , you need to consider barrel to bolt volume ratios when thinking about how heavy you want to go with BB's ( I use .36, the gun will happily handle .40 but runs out of puff on .43)  also consider if you need or want to do any hop mods.

Archived