To DSG or not to DSG? This is the question!

Alicks
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi All

I have been a long time lurker on the forums but not posted much, i do my own tecking on my guns and am quite familiar with most gearboxes and designs.

However i am planning on building a CQB gun with a high trigger response, i do already have one with a JettronV2 processor in it (however i found that it has major issues with recognizing fast semi auto shots and opens the hose on the full auto). I have also had a stock 18:1 gearset and a high torque motor running at 1500rps which was fun...but drained the mag in a burst....which then wasnt fun.

I have been mooching through various forums and speed guides and i have come to the conclusion that DSG setups are just not worth the hassle for what you gain over a high speed, high torque set up with speed trigger in regards to faster trigger response coming from a semi auto point of view.

However i am open to being convinced otherwise.

I think my preffered set up is:

1:13 SHS speed gears
Metal bushings
Gate ASR for the trigger wires to remove triggere burn and more power to the motor
SHS High torque motor
Retro or similar speed trigger for minimal trigger pull

I already AOE my pistons and install Lonex cylinder heads in my guns the Airlab Sorbo pads, and allllllways deans and 16AWG for better current flow. I did try 14AWG once but the wiring was too thick and got chomped by the pinion.

I currently run my batteries as 7.4v lipo, but i am thinking to upgrade to 11v lipo, which is ok becasue the ASR can handle up to 14v.

My only concern is whether i would be better with an active break incase of overspin which the ASR doesnt have.

I also remain to be convinced that swiss cheese and SSG are necerary for a semi only CQB.

Any one got any imput or counter arguments?

Cheers 

Alicks

Considered a DSG project myself but to be honest I have also heard mentioned numerous times that they are more trouble then they're worth. If you are wanting decent trigger response then I'd recommend going with what you have listed. I also run a 13:1 setup with an SHS high torque and 16awg wiring, and on 11.1v lipos the trigger response is very fast. I've always used AB mosfets in my builds, so can't say for sure that it will overspin without an AB mosfet, but I'd say it's pretty likely. 

Some do not like active braking, It'll wear the motor slightly faster, but it's the price you pay. Spend the extra few quid and get the Gate Nano AAB or the NanoHARD (few more features for a few quid extra), then you shouldn't run into any overspin issues. However, you WILL run into PME issues with that setup (found out the hard way) when firing full auto. If you are going to stay semi only with an AB mosfet, you should be fine, but just know that full auto will cause your piston to sh*t the bed, and if you plan on using full auto then you should definitely short stroke. I've not bothered with Swiss cheesing, results seem negligible to me but hey ho, to each their own. 

I also have used Retro arms speed triggers in a couple of builds, and while they are nice triggers, they don't shorten the trigger pull, and if they do it's not been by a noticeable amount. You will have to modify the trigger contacts for that. 

Archived