Just starting out

Dougr7
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi I am just starting out and I am looking for a rifle that is good and will last me along time I am looking to spend around 375 but would spend more so if you where going to get a gun what gun would you buy and why thanks 

Hi @Dougr7,

First of all welcome to the hobby and forum 👍

£375 is a decent chunk of cash to get your first RIF with, the problem is that you haven't given us too much information to go on - do you care about what the gun looks like at all, have a favourite style? AK47-style for example, or AR15 (M16) - you've said you want this to last a while so I would take care to look for something you're happy to use ergonomically as well as from a reliability point of view (we can advise on that)

Kind regards

6 minutes ago, DrAlexanderTobacco said:

Hi @Dougr7,

First of all welcome to the hobby and forum 👍

£375 is a decent chunk of cash to get your first RIF with, the problem is that you haven't given us too much information to go on - do you care about what the gun looks like at all, have a favourite style? AK47-style for example, or AR15 (M16) - you've said you want this to last a while so I would take care to look for something you're happy to use ergonomically as well as from a reliability point of view (we can advise on that)

Kind regards

I second that, welcome!

It would be cool if someone made a Yes/No questionnaire that could recommend a RIF based on x number of factors within the questions.

OP, it'll be an AEG AR-15 platform.  Unless you really know what you want. Then find the brand that fits your budget. You can start to sort which model from there.

I'll leave the others to recommend a good starter RIF for ya since I've been out of the sport/hobby for over a year now. What I will contribute is:

SAVE SOME MONEY FOR DECENT BOOTS AND FOR GOD'S SAKE PROTECT YOUR EYES PROPERLY. The search function on this forum will help you do both of these things.

Good luck and have fun! 

• Supporters

Just to note, your local site only appears to run airsoft once a month.  The £20 rental premium includes a bottle of BBs worth about £8 or so.  So you could play every month, including mid winter, for over 2 1/2 years before spending the same as on a £375 RIF and your own BBs, and that's without factoring in batteries, a charger and maintenance / compulsive upgrades.

Is that your budget just for the RIF?  Not including boots, eyepro, magazines, charger and batteries and whatever tacticool gear you fancy?

And as above, what platform do you fancy?  M4, Russki, G36, MP5 (master race), or some gopping bullpup or P90 abomination ?  At that budget you can get something decent, but we'll need to narrow it down a bit.

From my experience, you don't really need to spend too much on your first IF (assuming it is your first). Something around £150 would do you just fine. You could spend the rest of your budget on other things you need, such as face protection and footwear. Of course it's a different story if you know what you want and you can buy a RIF. But if you've yet to obtain UKARA, I would hold back on buying an expensive IF, as it'll likely have to be two-tone. Down the line you'll probably want to convert it into a RIF, which can be a challenge, depending on the gun and on your skill-set.

hi guys, im also a noob looking to buy a gun. when buying 2nd hand do you still need a licence? and i want my own gun as i played with hire kit yesterday and it seems everyone had a signifigant range advantage on me.

im guessing ive asked a question that will set someone off? only asked as have seen guns for sale with no mention of licence needed.  no need for anyone to get wound up...

Prepare for a roasting :D                                            (its not a license ;) )

No, you don't need to be UKARA registered to buy second hand.  As long as you're over 18 and they want to sell to you then its fine.

@Dougr7 Same advice given to the 1000000001  who asked that question:

Rent for 3 games to get a feel for the combat and decide what kind of gun you want your toy to look like. 😍

Then read up on different manufacturers who make it. 🤔

THEN you might want to ask specific questions about it or about different versions. 🧐

Use the search and read the advice given to others

• Supporters

Eye-twitching aside, it's just that there's no such thing as a licence to purchase RIFs, and no offence committed by purchasing or attempting to purchase them (as long as you're 18+)

A UKARA number is intended to provide a defence for the seller in the very, very unlikely event that the State takes an interest in the transaction.  Some folk will care, some wont - it's entirely up to them.

Rental guns can be (literally) hit and miss.  You may just have been handed one with a bad air seal or the hop mis-set.  It's easy enough to adjust the hop on any typical rental M4 / G36 / AK and worthwhile finding out how to do it as you'll be doing it on your own gun anyway.

I've had to tell a few rentals to wind the mag when they complained their gun stopped working.

I'll bet NONE of em know how to adjust the hop 

Archived