Use of RIF on private land?

Sloan85
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I have tried searching but couldn’t find an answer so apologies if covered before. I purchased my airsoft guns in 2002 and have not used since about 2005 so the laws introduced after that are new to me. 

The guns I have are full black realistic types. Can I use these in private land, e.g. friend field just messing about with them? 

• Supporters

no issues with you using them on private land,

BUT

be aware that if you are visible/seen by members of the public, be prepared for a visit from the police etc, so if you have neighbours overlooking your "private" land, might be an idea to inform them what your up to & that its not technically dangerous nor illegal.

• Supporters
52 minutes ago, EDcase said:

And remember that the BB's can't leave the private area

An offence that's rather bizarrely only applicable to "air weapons".  Which we're (possibly) not, being a special category all of our own.  Unless we are.  Honestly, the whole area of of firearms law is such a poorly defined, duplicative and contradictory mess, who knows?

The UKARA does not apply, as there is already RIF possession.  So there is no purchase or manufacture / modify of a RIF

For a technicality - is the private land really private?

Often people want to play on their own or a friends disused part of farm land.  A farm may be privately owned but is a business and will have visits from milk/livestock lorries, vets.  

Is there any right of way on the land, and / or is there control over any access?

Can you make the game area (or firing range) safe and under control?

Is the land owner aware of their responsibilities of permitting your use?

Is your ‘messing about’ going  to be conducted in a safe manner?

Could anyone possibly ever see someone running around with guns?

If the land isn’t as ‘private’ as you think, then could any visitors (business visitor etc) seeing activity going to turn it into an offence of possessing an imitation firearm in a ‘public’ place without good reason?

Then as @Rogerborg has noted there may or may not be complications with firearms legislation?

Some time ago an airsoft gun would have been a ‘low powered air weapon’ under firearm definitions.  A newer clause excludes air soft guns if they meet power restrictions.  If your older guns exceed those then it’s a firearm again.

Paintball remains a low power air weapon in legislation, but has other exclusions due to frangible paintballs

Has it been tested as to whether the firearm exemption also counts under the discharging projectiles outside of the boundary?  Whether or not it’s still a bad thing for a BB to get out - so is the land big enough to leave a buffer zone?

If you aren’t dicks then the chances are nobody will ever know

54 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

An offence that's rather bizarrely only applicable to "air weapons".  Which we're (possibly) not, being a special category all of our own.  Unless we are.  Honestly, the whole area of of firearms law is such a poorly defined, duplicative and contradictory mess, who knows?

I guarantee if someone complained they got hit by a BB outside the boundary there would be hell to pay...

Of course our toys are so low powered its very unlikely :D

• Supporters
12 hours ago, EDcase said:

I guarantee if someone complained they got hit by a BB outside the boundary there would be hell to pay...

Of course our toys are so low powered its very unlikely :D

I'm assured that a 250fps BB imbued with Toyko Marui magic dust can travel upwards of seven miles in the right conditions. ;)

9 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

I'm assured that a 250fps BB imbued with Toyko Marui magic dust can travel upwards of seven miles in the right conditions. ;)

With a hurricane tailwind :D

Archived