Other ways to paint airsoft guns apart from spraying?

AlphaC23
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

This might be a dumb question but I know nothing about painting or painting airsoft guns.

I know the most common method is to spray paint, but for really intricate designs I guess that can get really long and expensive?

Does anyone know the best way to do really intricate designs, like using what tool and what paint?

Couldn't you just paint it on with a good paint for metal and then clear coat it or something?

Any help would be super appreciated!

Who would have believed that really intricate designs with fine detail take a lot of work, time and expense to get right? 😏

Like anything you paint, you need to put in the time on the prep work to get the best possible outcome.

I think any Acrylic will work (assuming the surface has been slightly roughened and free from oil)

It would be possible to use a brush and stencil for fine work on flat surfaces but best results would be achieved by spraying.

Clear coat on top would help seal it but may not last.

Maybe ask GearTech: 

With the cost of paint and time it might be better to get him to do it...

• Supporters

I've painted a pistol frame with a sampler pot of B&Q acrylic.  Soft brush, tiny amounts of paint, done in many layers.  It'll rub off unless you varnish over it, but if you don't mind touching it up, you can get a decent base colour that way.

So, how intricate a design are we talking, from what distance do you want it to look good, and how durable do you need it to be?

• Mostly Retired Moderators

I mean, toy guns are just giant Airfix or Games Workshop models really.

Use the same paints and techniques as you would to paint The Memphis Belle or A Chaos Khorne Bezerker.

• Supporters

What about hydro dipping ?, that was a "thing" a couple of years ago but seems to have gone quiet of late.

IMG_4404.JPG

IMG_4405.JPG

1 hour ago, Tackle said:

What about hydro dipping ?, that was a "thing" a couple of years ago but seems to have gone quiet of late.

IMG_4404.JPG

IMG_4405.JPG

We keep talking about a hydro dip set up at work, I will be playing with it with some old shit and dipping a gun or two if it ever happens thats for sure!!

Archived