Good lightweight smg?

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

A friend is looking at getting into airsoft but they have a back problem and I need something fairly lightweight for them to use. I was thinking of getting a well mp7 and sticking some tm parts and an extended barrel in it but its not going to have the best range for outdoor play. I'm looking for something hopefully sub £150.

• Supporters

a short plastic bodied m4, other members will probably tell you to look at some of the g&g combat machines, I cant vouch for them merely because I've never used one, but they seem to be pukka from the many reviews.

as for vests etc, go with a small go bag, messenger type,something you cant overload & will carry 3 or 4 m4 hi-caps, which should be loads for starting out.

let him get out & play & learn his limitations, & prob stay away from well lol.

good luck 😁

• Supporters

Jing Gong/Cyma MP5 , plastic body , so no real weight to it and it’ll run like a train for ever if you don’t abuse it .

13 minutes ago, Druid799 said:

Jing Gong/Cyma MP5 , plastic body , so no real weight to it and it’ll run like a train for ever if you don’t abuse it .

This ^

My first RIF also, I ran it on 9.6V mahoosive NIMH for nearly 2 years, thing was insane!!

It liked the abuse and the respect it got :D

if your budget is un moveable then go for a cyma mp5k .

but if you can stretch another £30 get an arp9.

If mp5k get a high cap like https://www.bullseyecountrysport.co.uk/cyma-mp5-hi-cap-magazine-560-rds-double-mag-10181-p.asp or if ARP9 get a drum magazine this will mean they don't need any load bearing equipment to carry spare bbs/mags.

Can't really use a 2 point sling with either of them but a 1 point sling will help them not have to hold it up when dead etc.

• Supporters

or you could get an mp5 😜

but if you do, don't get a K, get one with a rear stock, your mate wants/needs to be able to aim properly, if his back is so bad that only something like a K will do, then he probably shouldn't be venturing on to an airsoft field, its an accident waiting to happen.

take it from me, my backs crappy but didn't stop me buying m60's etc, soon got rid off them though 😭

just be sensible, don't let him get sucked in by the gearqueers, aim for "high" speed low drag for his first loadout so he "finds his feet" so to speak"......he'll soon be hooked.

• Supporters
7 hours ago, Musica said:

Can't really use a 2 point sling with [an MP5K]

Fully agree with the rest of the MP5K Master Race post, but you can use a 2 point sling with them.  I've been 2-pointing and throwing mine on my back recently while running pistol primary. It's not really how the cool kids use them, but it works OK.

6 hours ago, Tackle said:

don't get a K, get one with a rear stock

Eh, maybe.  JG do a range of nearly-Ks with folding or M4-style stocks (absolutely gopping).  But you're adding weight both at the front and back.

https://gunfire.com/en/menu/electric-powered-submachine-guns-17196.html

The thing with a K is that you can use it right in front of your face with your trigger arm tucked hard against your body.  It's a nice, stable platform.

Then again, if you get the folding stock one, you could just bin the stock if it doesn't work out.

Not cheap but the new vfc mp7 aeg looks interesting. Haven't seen any range tests yet though. 

If you enjoy 180 fps even with upgrades the Well MP7 is for you. Dire gun out of the box and woeful at best with any upgrades. Avoid if you can! 

ARP9, CYMA MP5K or a short stubby M4 are you best bets as mentioned above but why not think about maybe building your own from the ground up? A project is always fun and you can get some real cheap parts all over the web :D 

• Supporters
1 hour ago, Rogerborg said:

Fully agree with the rest of the MP5K Master Race post, but you can use a 2 point sling with them.  I've been 2-pointing and throwing mine on my back recently while running pistol primary. It's not really how the cool kids use them, but it works OK.

Eh, maybe.  JG do a range of nearly-Ks with folding or M4-style stocks (absolutely gopping).  But you're adding weight both at the front and back.

https://gunfire.com/en/menu/electric-powered-submachine-guns-17196.html

The thing with a K is that you can use it right in front of your face with your trigger arm tucked hard against your body.  It's a nice, stable platform.

Then again, if you get the folding stock one, you could just bin the stock if it doesn't work out.

yeah I've had the K & the PDW, tbh there's not much difference between them in the weight, & the K can work well on a short single point sling braced by pushing it out in front of you, BUT I stand by my original comment, for marksmanship there's nothing better than shouldering a gun properly, especially if the OP's buddy has limited experience with "guns", & the severity/type of back condition he has may mean airsofting in general is a big risk, irrespective of the gat he uses.

for example with mine I can end up on crutches, or maybe completely bedridden, BUT have no issues lifting & carrying heavy stuff, silly little things trigger mine, go figure ?, whereas a work colleagues back barely allows him to walk/sit/stand, lost count how many times I've had to pick him up when he stumbles, including splitting his head open recently.

maybe the OP could give us a better idea of his mates "issues" in order to give the best advice, for example can he reach out in front of him for any length of time ?, if that's not feasible then maybe a K, mac10 or mp7 tucked close to the body will be the the only gats suitable ?.

Don't need a stock just a one point sling on the rear of the gun and push the gun forward to take up the slack,i would agree with tackle.

having used a stock or a sling doesn't really make a difference

accuracy is unchanged

Run my souped up spectre like this as does not come with a stock and never needed one

5 hours ago, Rogerborg said:

What do you sling it to? I seen your keying where the stock tube would go but what you using upfront on that Frankenstein? 

I forgot we have been champion specna arms recently they do 2 small edge series m4s that would work too. I'd say you'd have  issues with a barrel device should they want one but they are  still the same quality as the other edges.

https://www.patrolbase.co.uk/specna-arms-rock-river-arms-sa-e18-edge?pv=9075

https://www.patrolbase.co.uk/specna-arms-rock-river-arms-sa-e10-edge-carbine?pv=9055

• Supporters
1 hour ago, Musica said:

What do you sling it to? I seen your keying where the stock tube would go but what you using upfront on that Frankenstein?

There's a 2nd sling point right at the front.

image.png.c7e850e3c28af3738cdde1430f543d9c.png

8 hours ago, WobblySausage_ said:

If you enjoy 180 fps even with upgrades the Well MP7 is for you. Dire gun out of the box and woeful at best with any upgrades. Avoid if you can! 

ARP9, CYMA MP5K or a short stubby M4 are you best bets as mentioned above but why not think about maybe building your own from the ground up? A project is always fun and you can get some real cheap parts all over the web :D 

Ive had a well mp7 which shot 230 fps without upgrades and a friend had one with an extended barrel which shot 300. Both were very good for the price. they just have a bad reputation from poor qc.

ICS MP5A5 is the way to go; lightweight, accurate and a decent rate of fire I'd say you can't fault it. Plus they can be picked up for pretty cheap both new and second hand.

• Supporters
3 hours ago, Jacob Wright said:

ICS MP5A5 is the way to go; lightweight, accurate and a decent rate of fire I'd say you can't fault it. Plus they can be picked up for pretty cheap both new and second hand.

aren't ics all metal guns ?, op is looking for something lighter than the average gun.

• Supporters
7 hours ago, Tackle said:

aren't ics all metal guns ?, op is looking for something lighter than the average gun.

The two different ones I had were .

15 hours ago, HuttArmouries said:

Ive had a well mp7 which shot 230 fps without upgrades and a friend had one with an extended barrel which shot 300. Both were very good for the price. they just have a bad reputation from poor qc.

More than likely aye, I got a bad pick of the bunch!

• Supporters

Eh.  Given the tiny size of the cylinder and piston in those AEP gearboxes, I'd say that while 230fps (~0.5J) is credible, 300fps (0.83J ) just from a longer barrel is... optimistic.  There isn't much volume in there to exploit.

However, I stand ready to eat my words on that.  If throwing in a longer barrel can get it up there, then it suddenly becomes a more interesting proposition.  You'll want to do a lipo conversion as well, but that's not rocket surgery.

[Don't start looking on TaiwanGun, don't start looking on TaiwanGun...]

Archived